Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Employment Conditions Ranking System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelgirl Wrote:
Quote:
Like being treated as a one year contact worker? Go to HUFS.

Want to see the same contact applied differently for diffferent people. Go to HUFS.?

Want to work extra, with the 'promise ' of a contract renewal? Go to HUFS.

Want your travel movements tracked via Immigration ? Go to HUFS.

Want to work woth professors who think you are in Korea beacuse you can't gain meaningful employment in your home country? Go to HUFS.

Want to edit profs papers for free? Go to HUFS.

Want to have an office that you can work in? Don't go to HUFS.

Want to do a ton of stuff for free, with the promise of renewal? Go to HUFS.

Want to be lied to ? Go to HUFS.

Want to be discriminated against? Go to HUFS.

Angelgirl,

Which Department(s) are you referring to?

My experience has only been with the English Education Dept. and the Dept. of Translation and Interpretation. Some of what you write is definitely true for those Deptartments (non-renewable contracts or 3 year limitations on contract renewals). The money is good, but you got a work -even on Saturdays and during the summer / winter vacations! Also, housing is the shits at HUFS.

Thanks.
angelgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: HUFS Reply with quote

My comments describe all (OK, most ) language Departments at HUFS.

It is THE place for discrimination.
justin moffatt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGELGIRL:

You forgot to mention:

You want to be monitored by security staff on your whereabouts and doings (in your home)? GO TO HUFS!

You want to get paid your salary? DON'T GO TO HUFS!

You want a President of your University to be openly anti-foreigner? GO TO HUFS

You want support and collaboration from your fellow instructors. DON'T GO TO HUFS!

You want your scheduled classes to be taken by Korean professors just before semester begins? GO TO HUFS

I could go on all day . . .

Do your research people, there are MUCH better uni gigs out there.

By the way, these are for almost ALL departments.
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning to Exchange and Ear for an Eye and Vice-versa Reply with quote

Zebra12 wrote:
I just thought I'd post a comment or two, about the current status of Korean universities. I have a range of degrees (two masters) and experience at the college level in Canada. I'm an active member of the OCT in Ontario. My experience to date with many of these local programs and the 'professors' who run them...to put it simply in a metaphorical sense: are composed of shallow thin ice; no depth. At best, the top schools are more like general (and I mean very general) level community colleges back home). The academic [obsession] is principally focused on Chompsky's grammarian logic...without a clue to the higher order transformational ideas at the heart of his work. For example, in each of the school facilities I've visited (including the KAIST) I've observed the familiar slogan, English in the Global Village, and yet, when I've had the chance to ask a very simple question...like [for example] who coined the actual phrase, and what did he mean by this statement...I've only received dim vacant stares. In the age of global communications and ICT they don't have a clue about the most basic ideas of Marshall McLuhan, Harold Innis, Tom Wolfe, Jared Diamond, etc. But, grammarians in the Korean [postmodern] sciptorium are often like that...they fail to make the leap of the imagination and see the light at the end of the tunnel. (In the Medieval era in Europe we had the Quadrivium...then we had the Renaissance...here it's a mirage...mainly composed of photocopying machines and cheat=sheets; pecking orders and how to count to ten.

I could help them out...line them up and [re]-educate them beyond the mundane sophistic thoughts that they entertain...but way too boring. Instead, I'm paid well to design and implement programs for the next generation...more delightful and playful; keen at times to look into the magic of the global village universe that is their future. Laughing

Anyone can make random quotes in order to give themselves a false sense of superiority over others.

For example, I could say that you should know who coined, "English is a mass medium. All languages are mass media" since you mention Marshall McLuhan (no, it's not one of his)...Don't know? Sheesh, and you call yourself an expert.

See how easy that was?

PS. It's 'Chomsky', not 'Chompsky'.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth. You got that from Vickers. "Work in Essex County", page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you going to plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that you thing, you come into a bar, you read some obscure passage, and then pretend, you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girl and embarrass my friend?"

-Good Will Hunting
semphoon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone worked for Shin Heung college at Mangwolsa in north east Seoul? Please let me know.
kittyfye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyeongtaek Dae:

9 hours, 2 mil, full vacations, housing, two staff meetings per semester, private office with all the stuff--including t.v. (haha), intsructor determines office hours. And they will release you to work part-time elsewhere--so an additional 1 mil a month would not be difficult, even in Pyeongtaek.

So, where do they fall in the categories?
chachee99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semphoon wrote:
Has anyone worked for Shin Heung college at Mangwolsa in north east Seoul? Please let me know.

PM Ghost
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rumple

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is resurrecting an old thread, but I just got a job offer from a university in a small city about an hour from Daejeon, and wanted to get peoples' take on the offer:

-2 Million per month for 12 hours a week
-On campus apt with a/c and free internet/cable TV OR 300,000/mo. housing allowance
-Private office
-Airfare reimbusement (which I don't need)
-15 weeks vacation per year

This certainly isn't tier 1, but doesn't neatly fit into tier 2 or 3. What would you call this, a tier 2.5? This will be my first uni gig, and if I don't get a better offer (i.e. an offer in Daejeon) this doesn't seem too bad...sure would like to pick up a little more coin, but coin can be had other ways, I guess.
TECO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound too bad at all.
Thiuda

Location: Religion ist f�r Sklaven geschaffen, f�r Wesen ohne Geist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since anyone has posted to this thread and it's a wonderful resource for potential uni teachers doing their research prior to signing a contract, so here is a new review to get things going again.

I worked at Sangji University, Wonju, Gangwon-do, for a number of years. The first two years at Sangji were great: 15h/w, 2.5 mill/m, 5m vac, as well as a very supportive departmental chair who really went out of her way to ensure that the department was run well. In addition, we were given opportunities to improve our pay cheques substantially through working with the Cont Ed Dep't. The job was a keeper.

Unfortunately, the English Dep't Chair changed following a move by our previous departmental head. The new Chairperson immediately implemented changes to the existing system that diminished job satisfaction among lecturers substantially: foreign staff went from private offices to shared offices, from no vac work to mandatory camps, and were no longer allowed to work at off-campus locations through the Cont Ed Dep't (leaving teachers out of pocket to the tune of 1.5 million a month (!) and clients frantically looking for teachers).

The new chair alienated foreign staff and Korean staff alike and turnover rates among Korean and foreign lecturers have increased dramatically. I decided to leave when I was told that I had to cancel classes at another institution in mid-semester or not be rehired; I immediately handed in my resignation. The classes had been arranged through the Cont Ed Dep't, but following a disagreement between the Chair of the English Dep't and the Head of the Cont Ed Dep't, the English Dep't decided to cancel all cooperation between the departments.

There is a ray of light however, the Chair is switching after her two year reign concludes, so one can hope for an improvement in the situation following the summer of 09. It can't get much worse in any case.

Sangji University: Category IV. Avoid.
D.D.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gyeongsang university pays 30000 a class for 15 classes a week. No pay for vacation and long camps during vactions if you work.

They put the teachers in a semi-share situation with 3 people per unit. They do give free Korea cafeteria food if you like that stuff.
Expect to work with new grads and have staff dramas.

5th tier I think
tenchu77491

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I apply for university teaching jobs? What are the requirements? Same as public school and hagwons?
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenchu77491 wrote:
Where can I apply for university teaching jobs? What are the requirements? Same as public school and hagwons?

Alot of them require an MA, but not all of them; sometimes you get lucky. You can find ads for them on the job ad board on this site, but likely not yet: they'll start hiring again for September, so look around May, June, and July.

I think professionalism is more important; if you get an interview, dress well. Some say that going to drop off your application package in person helps, but personally I found it to be a huge pain to find and go to 15 or so campuses. If you don't mind it though, it probably can't hurt.

Others can offer more useful advice, as I work at a uni institute ("unigwon") and am only on my first contract.
cubanlord

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update - Hey Pragic. If you get a chance, would you mind updating your ranking system. It's been some time and I am curious as to how you will tier the system. Recently, I conducted a competitive market analysis and there were some interesting results to say the least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: