Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Indian or Thai food
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilovebdt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and I had a delicious Sunday dinner at the new Indian/Pakistani restaurant on Itaewon yesterday called Evergreen. It is about a 2-3 minute walk down the road which runs down the side of Burger King on the left hand side.

They have all the things you guys mention and great Nan bread at reasonable prices. Mmmmm
mogikilla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Nepalese & Indian Restaurant: Cafe Everest....YUM!!!! Reply with quote

[It's in Dongdaemun area, though, not Itaewon. Which is fine by me, because almost every Itaewon restaurant I've been to has been WAY overpriced for what I got... is rent higher there than in Apgu or something?]

Anyway, Cafe Everest. To get there, take subway line 1 or 4 to Dongdaemun Stn. Go out Exit 3. Take (1st?) small street/alley on left. At first little intersection, veer right. It's above a pharmacy (yeah, I know, there are tons, I'm just passing on the helpful advice the owner gave me when I called). There is a big light blue sign on the corner of the building with the name. It's on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

If directions are too vague or you want business hours, call them directly at...(searching for the card....not finding it. searching through phone for 'last called numbers'...): 02-766-8850 They have a Kor/Eng website, too, www.everestfood.com

I recommend the Thali set (have them show you what to do with it) and the veggie samosas... (Thali set includes some meaty bowl that I always give to the carnivores of my group while I scarf on the other nummy stuff).

We GORGED on 30,000 for 3 ppl, so under 10,000/person should be no prob
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's in Dongdaemun area, though, not Itaewon

That would be Everest. Evergreen is indeed in Itaewon. Perhaps an Everquest will pop up in Hongdae next.
mogikilla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: and i *meant* everest, too...crazy, that~~ Reply with quote

i wasn't talking about evergreen, really, just everest, cuz the thread was about indian food. my forenote about it not being in itaewon was just cuz the o.p. had asked about itaewon establishments or something (not sure now, and too lazy to go back and re-read) and i was making the point that the establishment i was going to mention was not in itaewon. the fact that the previous post was about a restaurant called evergreen was just one of dem coincidences and was supposed to be unrelated to what i said Very Happy
Troll_Bait

Location: [T]eaching experience doesn't matter much. -Lee Young-chan (pictured)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would like to know the locations of all kinds of good restaurants
(not just Thai or Indian, but French, Turkish, etc.), then I recommend the book "Seoul Food Finder," by Andrew and Jinny Salmon.

http://www.seoulselection.com/shopping_book_view.html?pid=13

My biggest problem with the book are the maps.
They need to be better-drawn, with more details.
Sometimes you're wandering around in circles, looking for a place.
However, it's not their fault that, in Korea, streets are not labelled and addresses are random.
I once e-mailed Andrew Salmon, and asked him if there would be a second book.
He said no.
However, he writes a restaurant review once every two weeks for the English-language version of the JoongAng Daily (it's in Friday's "J-Style and Weekend" section).
The writer that he alternates with, Iges Cho, is also good.

http://joongangdaily.joins.com
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the Indian restaurants currently in business around Seoul, Ashoka is the best and cleanest. For vegetarians, it's better because - being the only one actually run by Hindus - they are more careful about preparing and cooking the vegetarian items separately from their meat dishes...

I've had some excellent curries there, and they have nice Indian sweets and a good salad bar as well.

Pricewise, their weekend buffets run 25,000 won for lunch and around 28,000 won for dinner (about 5000 won less than a few years ago because of more competition...

I've heard that an Indian vegetarian restaurant plans to open in Itaewon in the near future - which will automatically be my new favorite ...
Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want great Indian food, there are two absolutely fantastic restaurants in Seoul. They are Wazwan and Taj Palace. They set themselves apart from the other Indian restaurants in town by the fact that the owner and cooks are from Kashmir. They cook all of your favorite curries with recipies from that region of India. The nan bread that you dip into that curry is crispy and light. The sizzling tandori chicken is awesome too. For vegetarians, there are over 25 menu items to choose from. Give these places a shot.

Wazwan & Taj Palace are from the same people. Taj Palace is a little more upscale with more menu items and a little closer to Itaewon station. I still go to Wazwan sometimes because it's small, homey and the nearby mosque adds a nice exotic touch.

To get to either one of them, you get out of Itaewon Station at exit 3, walk past Starbucks to the hip hop clothing store on the corner. Turn right. Walk up the street 1 block and Taj Palace is on your right - second floor.

To get to Wazwan, continue one block more passing the Foreign Food Mart on your left and the excellent English bookstore, What The Book (both worthy stops on your way). . Turn left onto the next street. Walk for about 3 minutes. You'll see the mosque on the left. Wazwan near the next corner.

Happy eating and Namaste!
ilovebdt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack the knife wrote:
This weekend I tried the Thai restaurant directly below Thai Orchid (name: Thai Suki? not sure). Don't waste your money. W15000 for a bowl of Tom Yum with 3 small shrimp. And that bowl of Tom Yum was about the size of a standard rice bowl you'd get at a Korean restaurant. When we complained to the waitress (the picture on the menu showed something entirely different) she replied "We strive for quality, not quantity" or something of that nature. Whatever. The soup was watery, as was the sauce on the fish we ordered.

Don't bother.

That would explain why it is always practically empty when I go past there on my way up to the Thai Orchid Smile

ilovebdt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: