Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean word frequency trivia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Korean word frequency trivia Reply with quote

Here are some goodies from the Yonsei University word frequency list:

Number 1 on the list is the suffix -��.
Lucky 7 is the suffix -��.
Unlucky 13 is the suffix -��.
Number 69 is the suffix -��.
For the Biblically-minded, number 666 is �ڽ�, which means "offspring."

In case you're interested in triple-zero points, number 1000 is -�� (whatever that means) and 2000 is the suffix -�����.

In case you're interested in repeated digits, number 1111 is ��, which means "candle," and number 2222 is ȣ����, which means "tiger."

Here are some historical dates: Number 1066 is ������ (whatever that means). Number 1776 is �׸�, which means "vessel." My apologies to those who are from other English-speaking countries; I only know the significant dates in US history.

If you admire the music of Johann Sebastian Bach, you may be interested in knowing that number 1685 is ü�� (whatever that means). In honor of the Korean independence from Japan, we shall note that number 1945 is ���ϴ�, which means "come near doing," or "almost do." For 2003, the present year, the word is ȣ��, the Koreanized spelling of "hotel."

If you know the suffixes -��, -��, -��, and -��, your reading comprehension is at least 10%. The bad news is that the slope increases from then on. The 50% point is number 78, which is the suffix -��. The 60% point is number 234, which is the bound noun ä. The 70% point is number 614. The word is ����, meaning "process." To reach the 80% point, you must arrive at number 1660. At this point, the word is å��, which means "desk." From there to the 90% point is an even wider stretch. You must study as far as number 5778. The word is ����, meaning "ground" or "space" depending on how the Chinese characters are written.

The last word on the list is number 64666. The word is ���� (whatever that means), and that brings you up to 98.7%.

(To convert the garbage to hangul, click on Bogi/Inkoding/Hangukeo.)
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post, where can I see a copy of this list you're talking about?

I'd be curious to look it over.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is about frequency in written language, right? I'm inclined to think the list (especially the most common morphemes) would be quite different in analysis of spoken korean.

like in written English the most common word is 'the'. in spoken english it's 'I'.
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Son Deureo!

And thank you for your interest in my message!

I had to put up a struggle to find the list myself, and to be truthful, I don't remember where I found it.

Anyway, here is a Web page for foreigners who have inquiries of any kind about Yonsei University:

http://www.yonsei.ac.kr/yu/eng/contact.html

and here is what is listed on that page:

Phone : (82-2)2123-3486~9, 3535.
Fax : (82-2)393-7272..
Address : Yonsei University 134 Sinchon-dong, Seodaemun-gu,
Seoul 120-749. Korea
E-mail : [email protected]

Here is the name of the agency which published the list:

�������б� ��������� �߿�����

and here is the title of the list:

���� �ѱ����� ���� �� ���

(To turn the garbage into hangul, click on Bogi/Inkoding/Hangukeo.)

At the time I bought the list, the price was 70,000 won.
I got a thick volume which lists all the words in numberical order, another thick volume which lists all the words in ganada order, and a thin volume which I still haven't figured out.

I hope that helps some.

PS Yes, Kangaji, this is a compilation from written Korean.
I find it interesting that the word annyeong is way down on the list.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because nobody writes annyoung. And, in spoken Korean, ui(possessive article) is omittable, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: