Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

280,000 won electric bill - is this normal?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliebaas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: 280,000 won electric bill - is this normal? Reply with quote

When we first got here our bill was 180,000 won which we thought was high, but it was summer and we were using the air conditioning, but each month since it has gone up - and we are not using the air conditioning or heater. It is a 650 sq foot studio apartment, and I am getting increasingly frustrated by the high bill, it makes it hard to save money when your electric bill is almost as much as rent.

We have mentioned it to our director, but she says most of it is maintaince for the apartment and we are commerical building with a few apartments so they can charge more. I am thinking of asking her to subdize the high cost?

Is it normal to have such a high bill and do we have a right to request help to pay it from our director?
ChuckECheese

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd be looking for a second job to cover utility bills. Shocked

Are you looking at the actual bill from the utility company or bill from your hagwon master? If the bill is from your hagwon master, you should ask her to break it down and show you the actual utility bills.
Peeping Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChuckECheese wrote:
If I were you I'd be looking for a second job to cover utility bills. Shocked

Are you looking at the actual bill from the utility company or bill from your hagwon master? If the bill is from your hagwon master, you should ask her to break it down and show you the actual utility bills.

It does seem a bit pricey if it's just electricity, but it might be accurate if it's the sum of numerous bills.

For example:
My gas bill in winter can reach 100,000 or more.
My electricity bill is lower, but when I used an air conditioner it could be quite expensive (50,000 or more). If you have a water dispenser it can significantly raise your electricity bill.
Many apartment complexes have monthly fees for the old man who watches over the apartment and for general maintenance. The fee is probably 50,000-100,000. Add another 10,000/month for water.
blynch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I were you I'd be looking for a second job to cover utility bills

new hooter's in seoul is now hiring...
billybrobby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

280,000 is high, but utilities in korea can be insane. i've never really figured out the rhyme or reason to it. in my first apartment, i was paying 20 bucks a month. in the secon, 200. in my third, which is like twice as big as the second, i'm paying 200 again. it's terrible though, feels like a total waste.
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

If that is just electricity, you are being fleeced.

650 sq feet, I have no idea how big that is. Basically, it'd have to be big, and you'd have to be leaving on many lights and a fat ass computer 24/7 to warrant that bill. My guess is that your neighbours are wired into your place and you are paying for a few of your neighbours too.

What I would do is check the electric bills when they next come in the mail. Check your neighbours.

I live in a 16 pyeong place and we used to pay 30,000 or more on a bad month. Maybe 40 if we went crazy.

The funny thing is, if I am right, you could refuse to pay your bill and then watch half of your building get the power cut off.
I-am-me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
she says most of it is maintaince for the apartment

That is way too high. Why are you paying for the maintenance? Is that in your contract? I have averaged about 30,000 per month for electric at several places in the past 3 years. Do you have a fish tank? Unplug things before you go out. Point of being here is to safe money...not spend it so hagwon owner can get rich. See about getting your own apartment. Shocked
Juregen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pay about 250.000 won for "Utilities", this includes gas, water, electricity, guards, parking lot, elevator, maintenance, anythibg you can think of.

So if you are paying that much just for electricity, i wonder how many Kimchi fridges you are having in the basement Smile.
Roch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChuckECheese wrote:
If I were you I'd be looking for a second job to cover utility bills. :shock:

Word.
mytime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the op....

It might be that you are paying the average of the apt building you're in and not what you actually use

Thats what happened to me 2 years ago
I lived in a big apt (too big for one guy) and my bills were 200 000 a month even though I wasnt home much

One month I went on ten days vacation and switched off everything and when I got that month's bill it was the same as always

Turned out they were just taking the whole building's bill and divided it by number of apartments....so I was paying same as families

Not sure what you can do....i threatened to quit unless my director moved me
spliff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My total bills for a month is 50 -60,000 won. This includes my phone and internet! Electricity is about 6000 per mo.
poet13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding support to the previous posters.
That's way too high. My bill, for a 500 sq foot apartment is less than 20,000. I run the tv, lights and computer every moment I'm here. I use my microwave several times a day.
Somethings not right. Let us know what the situation turned out to be....if you do get it sorted. If you can't get it sorted, I think I would ask to be moved to another apartment.
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP- If the hogwan owner/director took that out of your check, then you are being cheated. Keep your pay stubs in a safe place, (and make copies), because you'll probably have a strong case at the Labor Board.
Bukowski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much paranoia here.

What you claim to just be your electric bill, it not your electric bill. It is apartment fees, such as maintenance, water, electric, TV, possibly internet, possibly gas included. Your employer is not fleecing you. Simply take your stub to a Korean friend and have them tell you what each charges means. More than likely, 100,000~150,000 is pure maintenance fees and the rest is from your utilities.

Relax. Let us know the what you find out.

AC
twg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mytime wrote:
It might be that you are paying the average of the apt building you're in and not what you actually use

I have the same deal in my office-tel. It sucks.

I do find that it costs more in Seoul. In Cheonan I was paying less than half of what I'm paying now. Then again, I didn't have these huge windows in Cheonan sucking the heat out, either.

Just remember that if you do move, the cheaper the place, the shittier it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: