Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Master's Degree???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gajackson1

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of nebraska - Lincoln campus

I know a teacher here who is just finishing it up; he's very serious about it, and has good things to say about the program

The only downside is I'd have to admit that I am a Cornhusker, albeit an online one. Shocked Embarassed Crying or Very sad

G.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I could deal with being a Cornhusker. My Dad was a Boilermaker. I have been called things that sorta rhyme with Cornhusker. I like Husker Du. That might work. Thanks. I just checked out the Macquarie University website and they sent me an online admission package. We shall see. Thanks for your help everyone. I will look at Nebraska as well, although I am a little afraid of American tuition rates for international students (I am Canadian). Rock on. Anyone else out there?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyungshin,

The guy in your avatar is one scary looking fellow.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumfights.com. Another sign of armageddon. Check it out.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Restless Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm trying to save myself another loooooong search so if you can help me out I'd appreciate it. I know that to get into a Masters program at a school in Canada you pretty much need a four year degree but what if your doing it through distance ed/online? Has anyone been accepted with a three year degree. This would be for Linguistics/English or Teaching English as a Second/Foriegn Language.

If you have first hand experience and specifics I sure would appreciate a PM, email, or post. If it is possible then I'm headed to the ROK in August. I have a three year. I am doing a couple of courses this summer, and will be two credits shy of a four year when the summer is through. I don't want to sit around for another year. It's Korea or bust. :)

Thanks ahead of time,

Kate
Anda

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: um Reply with quote

Try say getting into a Graduate Certificate In Linguistics or A TESSOL Certificate etc, etc and extending to a Grad Dip and then extending to a Masters. You will find that this is easy to do with language courses at most universities.
Giant

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not an online Univ, but you can submit alot of assignments online. I study at UNISA, it is an internationally recognized place and I can tell you it will be the cheapest. It is in South Africa. They post materials to you and they are prompt. Go here, www.unisa.co.za

Cheers
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was enrolled in my MBA last year through a uni in Australia. I had a lot of hassle getting set up and getting my materials. I didn't get some necessary software until week 8 so I had to catch up on 8 weeks of work plus do my assignment within about 3 days... nothing the prof could do to help me out because he had to post the results. So I quit. It was one of the happiest moments of my ENTIRE life. I went and joined my mates downtown (where I should have been all along instead of holed up studying statistics for chrissakes Wink ) for a few bevvies to celebrate.

Anyway, I came to realise that business studies are myself are like oil and water. But I'm not adverse to further study...

Hmmmm... distance ed... I found online study to be really difficult. I had no one to talk to (there were no other participants in Sth K, a few in HK and Japan, but hardly able to pull together a weekend study group) and I couldn't ask questions and talk to other people about the stuff I was learning. I found that after reading a BIG chapter 2 times, I still couldn't correctly articulate (or even bs) the answers to the questions I should be able to answer because I hadn't verbalised or "heard" anything I'd learned. Well, that was my excuse.

Have any of you faced this kind of problem with distance ed? The lonliness of long distance student? Is it that some people work better in a classroom environment and others work well on their own?

Those of you who have successfully studied via distance ed, I'd love to hear your stories about you managed to do it and get through any hardships.

Thanks, WB
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
Hmmmm... distance ed... I found online study to be really difficult. I had no one to talk to (there were no other participants in Sth K, a few in HK and Japan, but hardly able to pull together a weekend study group) and I couldn't ask questions and talk to other people about the stuff I was learning. I found that after reading a BIG chapter 2 times, I still couldn't correctly articulate (or even bs) the answers to the questions I should be able to answer because I hadn't verbalised or "heard" anything I'd learned. Well, that was my excuse.

Have any of you faced this kind of problem with distance ed? The lonliness of long distance student? Is it that some people work better in a classroom environment and others work well on their own?

Ummm... I hear you... it is tough. I am taking two classes right now, teaching 20 hours a week and raising an infant. talk about a full plate. I am also finding just doing the reading isn't enough to solidy the learning. It's a real struggle especially when it comes time to write an essay. I usually end up surfing over hear cause my brain is drawing a blank in front of the computer

takes me about 6 hours to write around 500-750 words...
K-in-C

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Restless Reply with quote

Hi all,

I appreciate the feedback BUT my question has not been answered.

[quote="Kate in Canada"]

I know that to get into a Masters program at a school in Canada you pretty much need a four year degree but what if your doing it through distance ed/online? Has any Canadian on this forum been accepted with a three year degree?

If you have FIRST HAND experience and SPECIFICS I sure would appreciate a PM, email, or post. Kate[/quote]

Thanks ahead of time,

Kate

Edited adding caps for emphasis :?
Anda

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

In answer to the locked thread: Um you make it sound so easy to give you an answer. For instance The University Of Southern Queensland in Australian has in my opinion more interesting units of study in their linguistics course. A lot of the English, English courses have about 12 units of study against 8 for a masters from say the above so there is a time factor there too. Another thing is TESOL degrees age more quickly than linguistic degrees as teaching methodology is changing all the time.
Doing a degree in special education that is built around what you wish to teach appeals to me more than the standerd English course.
jaderedux

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only downside is I'd have to admit that I am a Cornhusker, albeit an online one
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Up to now I had utmost respect for you...but speaking AS A CORNHUSKER!!!!......I am afraid I am gonna have to round up the farm boys and open up a can whoop a$$ on ya....

GO BIG RED...BEST COLLEGE TEAM MONEY CAN BUY!

Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, still trying to keep this thread relevant. I am applying to USQ and Macquarie today. Wish me luck. Kimcheeking, good luck man.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way: MAKE THIS A STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
K-in-C

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Sticky Reply with quote

I give it a second on the 'Sticky' request.

Cheers,

Kate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: