Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Master's Degree???
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Online Master's Degree??? Reply with quote

As an adjunct to the TESOL certif. posts/threads:

Anyone here completed/researched an online Master's program???

I see junk from Phoenix all the time, but the website isn't that hot. I have a friend currently completing one from Uni of Nebraska (so he's an online Corn-husker?!?!) that he seems really happy with.

I am balancing one of those out vs. getting a Master's in Asian Studies in Thailand. (As the cost is cheapcheapcheap, the degree well-recognized, and in Thailand, you CAN freely teach while enrolled in such a program).

Experiences? Anecdotes? C'mon, spill the gim-chee!
Rolling Eyes

G.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently mid MA in Applied Linguistics (TESOL) from Maquarie University. I did some research and this university is Recongnized in Canada and presumably the US. A couple of my Australian friends also told me that it is a good school in Australia.

I am however having some problems with promptness regarding enrollment and recieving grades/materials.
AMERICAN HERO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by AMERICAN HERO on Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
profjan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: MA degree online Reply with quote

I enrolled in and completed my MA and my PHD through St. George University International. Their web site is:
www.stgeorgeuniveristy.edu
The courses cost approximately US$6,000. Well worth the money!

Edited once by Harpeau. Fixed the link at 7:43pm. Friday, April 30, 2004.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much more money can one make in Korea with an MA or PhD? I think I may be here for the longterm. Is it worth it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
How much more money can one make in Korea with an MA or PhD? I think I may be here for the longterm. Is it worth it?

it will defineatly secure your future. Some jobs pay more for an MA, but most do not. However many universities are only hiring people with MA's. It's possible to get a uni job without (I did), but difficult.

Having an MA will also make you more marketable in other countries.
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um well I'm kind of an expert on this!!! (ex=an unknown quantity. spurt= a drip under pressure) anyway here goes.
England would be about the best place to get an online from as it is part of the EU. But it is also the most expensive along with the course lengths sometimes being longer.
Australia is the cheapest with short course lengths.
The University Of Southern Queensland has the most interesting linguistics units to study but it has the drawback of being reconized as being a distance educator. Some places (countries, universities) here in Asia frown on distance education degrees.
Money paid is quite often the same as paid for lower degree but if you have a masters and someone has a bacholors for a job, guess who normally gets the job.
Now say the linguistics degree from the USQ. If you want you can take it through the Education Dept and have a Master's of Education degree instead of a Linguistics Masters, um same course, same teachers. Also you can do a masters in special education and have the course built around what you want like "teaching high school English" "teaching agriculture to village people in Africa"
Oh and the USQ you can get a certificate in linguistics for two units, a graduate for four units and a masters for eight units.
Scout

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which institute offers the Asian Studies Masters in Thailand? I'd be interested in finding out more about that. Do you have a link for a website with more information?
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Scott be a little bit careful as a lot of places won't accept a person from the west with a non western degree.
But if you do want to go that way then the Phillipines Woman's University in Manilla is American accredited and will take male live in students. So an English major surrounded by beautiful ladies sounds better!
Hyalucent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of an MA in English Lit that is online?

I've been searching around and I find lots of MEds and so on, but I would have assumed that a Literature degree would be the simplest to conduct online (mostly just reading and writing with limited practical work)-- yet no one seems to offer the full deal.
Sojourner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you consider the on-line MA (Applied Linguistics) programme at the University of New England,Armidale,Australia ? The web address,I think,is:www.une.edu.au - then follow the links to the degree programme in question .

UNE has a very good name within academic circles in Australia - it is one of the pioneers in distance education in that country. Although most of the students at this institution are enrolled in either on-line or the more traditional distance education mode,there are also a large number of internal students.As all students,whether internal or on-line/distance,do the same assignmemts and sit for identical examinations, the degrees conferred are all the same.Also,it would be much cheaper to do a Master's course at an Australian university,than one in the US or UK.I was enrolled in UNE's Applied Linguistics programme last year,and was most impressed with the course outline,feedback,etc.

Another Australian uni that has an excellent Applied Linguistics programme is Macquarie University.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Sojourner on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
canukteacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an MA can open up a lot of doors for you. Like the door out of Korea if that is your goal. I was enrolled in the MA from Macquarie (sp) and was totally frustrated with the administration side of (materials late late late, the cost (which I have never figured out.....but is much more than quoted on their website or brochures). I am not saying it is a bad program, but I would be careful. I have changed over to the University of New England in Australia. The program looks ok. It's fairly, but they did win an award last year.

Good Luck!
long-term-player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: University New England Reply with quote

University New England AUSTRALIA
warning; this universities tefl course is a bad joke run by a non qualfied person.. [a fact - read her cv,, taught in France for one year!!!] great recommendation for Asian EFL!! most courses THERE are great, but the key course is ill prepared and badly planned. Many other boards refer to this particular sham; you pass everything but the one unqualified tutor [HER OWN CV] fails people in her course, thus $12,000 blown away... also note referred to negatively by the law site watch dog; www.efl-law.com
go to Uni Southern Queensland for professional tutors or Monash uni
sprite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm applying to the univeristy of birmingham (england) open-distance learning MA-TESL.
it's not online, it is distance. they have a centre here in korea for administrative purposes, and visiting lecturers from england.
cost is 5300 pounds sterling, plus books. option to study at the physical campus for the second year. friends who studied it say that the tutor support is good.
the final degree is the same as if you had done the MA-TESL on campus.

http://www.cels.bham.ac.uk/prospectus/ODL/odladdresses_for_information.htm
exportedhabster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm studying through Surrey University in England and so far so good. The feedback has been quick and helpful. A little expensive, around 6000 pounds total, but they have a good rep. It takes about 2.5 years to complete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: