Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to get my release letter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
napoleon8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Trying to get my release letter Reply with quote

My hagwon fired me last week. Today I requested a release letter so I could go find another job. The director told me he could not give me a release letter until I had found a new job because he must include the new employer on the release letter; and when I find a new employer they should call him to provide their info.

Is this the correct way a release letter is done? How should I handle this?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What your hakwon boss told you is not true... you do not need to have a position lined up at another school in order for him/her to give a letter of release.

Here is a copy of a sample L.O.R. that I lifted off the EFL-Law Website.
Quote:

Letter of Consent to Release Foreign English Teacher

Name of Teacher:

Nationality:

Passport No.:

Address:

Telephone No.:

The above-person has been working at our school/academy from __________ to _______________ in the position of Foreign English teacher. We hereby give our consent to the transfer of said person to work for another English school/academy.

Dated: _____, 2003

Name of English Academy
Address of School

/SEAL/

mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once you get your letter of release you will have 14 days (or thereabouts, i forget) to sign on at another school. if you accomplish that you do not have to get another visa. if you fail to do so, you will need to get a new visa (from japan).
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: release letter... Reply with quote

Waterbaby and Mack the Knife just told you everything you need to know.

Do not go beyond the 14 day limit!! Serious consequences. Very serious, so don't go beyond that period.

Your employer is out for a 'finders fee'. Same as recruiters. "You can have my teacher, I don't want him/her anymore...but I do want some money." Plain and simple Napoleon.

Go to the web-site waterbaby provided and follow the instructions. Claiming they need the future employer's info?? What a load.

Out of curiosity, how long did you work for director soandso before you were fired?
napoleon8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my other thread: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=7553

2 1/2 months

I did get the secretary at the hagwon to stamp and sign the release letter from the web site.
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um there are a couple of ways of doing things in reguard to moving from one hogwon to the next. If the hogwons make contact with each other then normally you can get out of having to do a visa run but the other way you can be fairly sure of having to do a visa run.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go get 'em, napoleon8. were you 'dismissed' because you wore your hat and nose extension to work. no-one minds, at my hagwon, if i wear my starfleet ensignia so i guess i got lucky. good luck, you have advantages (korea is a good place to be short and deadly). hats off to you generalissimo bonaparte, this country is YOURS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: