Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Museums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chamchiman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Korean Museums Reply with quote

Can anybody recommend any museums in Korea which are not national museums? I'm sure that there must be some interesting exhibits buried in small museums around Korea. For example:

1. There's a website which lists the Korean Association of University Museums - http://www.kaum.or.kr/english/1/index3.htm - and despite this being only a partial list (I didn't see the Hyejung Museum at KyungHee University (Suwon Campus) listed there) there are some 90 museums in the association. Some of them must be worth visiting.
2. During a recent trip to Jeonju I saw that there are both a calligraphy museum and a traditional wine museum near the Hanok Village.
3. Andong has the Andong Folklore Museum, which might be interesting, and the Soju Museum (which sends visions of Homer and Barney on the Duff Brewery tour dancing through my head).

My contribution is the aforementioned Hyejung Museum. It's a free and fascinating exhibit of old maps of Korea and the world that were largely donated by a private collector. If you can see past the inevitable East Sea and Dokdo political propaganda angle of some of the exhibited maps (maps showing "East Sea" or "Mer de Coree" - glorified with lengthy captions; maps showing "Sea of Japan" - caption-free), and you're a map geek like me, I recommend it highly.

Museum suggestions?
bluelake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go up to Paju. There is a really neat archery museum there. See the following for more info:

http://www.koreanarchery.org/yyg/yjam.html

http://www.arrow.or.kr

Also, visit the Korea Military Academy (Nowon-gu, in NE Seoul); the Korean Army Museum there is very fascinating.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the kimchi field museum at coex? Gotta make the hajira there at least once... for camp value.
Vancouver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o right! i heard about that kimchi museum. I'm planning on going to that wine museum in Jeonju when I go back to Korea and make some wine^^
Chamchiman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluelake wrote:
Go up to Paju. There is a really neat archery museum there. See the following for more info:

http://www.koreanarchery.org/yyg/yjam.html

http://www.arrow.or.kr

Also, visit the Korea Military Academy (Nowon-gu, in NE Seoul); the Korean Army Museum there is very fascinating.

Thanks for the suggestions bluelake.

By the way, you're between Kyongju and Pohang? Are you near Angang-ri? If you are then you probably know this already, but if you like quiet spots check out Oksan Seowon and Dongnaktang. Both are beautiful old sites, and an early springtime picnic on the rocks before the warm-weather crowds get there is highly recommended.
bluelake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I lived in Kyongju for sixteen years, and then moved to Heunghae, outside of Pohang two years ago. My wife still runs her business in Kyongju, so I spend time there, too. I occasionally drive through Angang when I feel like taking the backroads to KJ, instead of the highway.
Smee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galbijim's down this second, so I can't provide links yet.

There's a Toilet Museum in Ilsan.

There's Hoam Art Museum in Yongin (south of Bundang in Gyeonggi-do) which supposedly has several large exhibits, including national treasures, and a nice garden.

In Jeollanam-do there's Daewonsa Temple Tibet Museum, with lots of artifacts and materials from Tibet.

I'll try to post more later.
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually went to the Soju Museum mentioned in the OP as I took a weekend trip to Andong. No, they don't let you roam freely throughout the distillery! Damned good thing too, I reckon. They have a few displays on hand. Two Korean girls tried their damndest to explain things in English. At the end, you're given a sample of Andong soju which doesn't taste like soju at all. More like Chinese "maotai" which tastes like toilet bowl cleanser w/sugar added.

Anyway, there are worse places than Andong to spend a day or two. If you're in SE South Korea, check it out.
cbclark4

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like these museums they forbid photography.

cbc
captain kirk

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a sign just outside of Hapcheon (small town, between Jinju and Daegu) that says 'Hapcheon Museum 18km'. Yes, the 'Hapcheon (City) Museum' is, apparently, 18 kilometers from Hapcheon itself.

And it's an 18km detour away from the highway. One of these days...
Hater Depot

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbclark4 wrote:
I don't like these museums they forbid photography.

cbc

Ask, a lot of them do allow non-flash photography.
Lizara

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a museum per se, but I really like the Knife Gallery in Insadong.

http://knifegallery.co.kr/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChopChaeJoe

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an auto museum in Yongin, pretty neat. I hear there's a gramophone museum in Wonju or Gangneung. Never been to it, but the Ho-Am art museum, also in Yongin. Museum of contemporary art in Gyeongju should let you know where the Korean avant-garde is.
soju pizza

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a contemporary art museum in Bomun Lake near Kyong ju, and there's also the museum of contemporary modern art in Busan, which is awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: