Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VIETNAMESE IN KOREA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkillSkillette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: VIETNAMESE IN KOREA? Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone can give us a realistic perspective on our situation. We are both Canadian teachers who are trying to go to Korea and teach in October. First off, we are not able to go before October 1st because of commitments here...are we being unrealistic trying to land a decent job at this time of year? (would there only be shady schools that would have job openings at this time? ie. teachers that have quit and ran away). Also, my girlfriend is vietnamese.. what are the realistic chances on whether or not we will be turned down on each job once we sent a picture of us in our applications? (I've heard that a lot of Korean school directors won't touch anyone whose not caucasian). Any input? Cheers!
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be applying for hagwans or public schools? Hagwans hire year round, so don't worry about that.
Your girlfriend will unfortunatly have a hard time finding a job because your presence in the school is more marketing than anything and its better maketing to have white people. Asians can get jobs here, but its difficult.
Good luck.
SkillSkillette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but if the hagwans offer employment year round...does this still mean that they are positions that people left after the school year has started...or is there no such thing as 'when the school year starts' for hagwans? Are you saying they have no 'yearly schedule'?...I'm guessing that's what your telling me. Razz
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't a school year at a hagwan. They teach year round and take on new students and teachers at all times.
SkillSkillette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracias...I think I got it then. Are public schools that much better then? Our focus for job finding has been mainly on schools right now..we haven't given much thought to where is a good place in Korea to teach. I guess, like everyone, we want to be somewhere close to a fairly big city, yet still have some beautiful scenery close by. Is Jeju-do that tucked away from everything? (I know I'm getting off topic here).
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that much about public schools actually. I don't know anyone who has taught at one. Try doing a search on Dave's for 'public school' and see what ya come up with.
Jeju-do is very tucked away. You would have to fly or take the boat to get to the main land.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How "Vietmanese" is your girlfriend ? Is she a Canadian citizen ? She can't get a visa unless she is.

BTW, I'm trying to do the same thing, except my boss (wife) is Korean.
SkillSkillette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she's a Canadian citizen. She's been here for 20 years. I'm really hoping it's not going to be as difficult as I fear.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some threads I've collected on my FAQ Sticky that relate to your question.

Will I Have a Problem Finding a Job Because I am Not White?

Unfortunately, there's a very strong preferences by Directors for having a white face teaching English to students here in Korea. Lots of reasons why are discussed here. But don't be deterred, it might just take a little longer to find an employer who is not discriminating.

1. How Common is Discrimination?
2. Reasons Why Gyopos Aren�t Hired?
3. Non White Teachers in Korea?
4. African American Teachers?
5. Caucasian Olnly?
6. Looking for Some Insight

Also, the school year begins in March (1st semester) and second semester begins in September. Hakwons are year round and employ people at any time, not in line with the school year.

Here are some more threads (I've only collected a few so far) about the best and worst places to live in Korea.

Choosing a Location in Korea
2. Suggestions for Places to Live?
2. Best place to live in Korea?
3. Best & Worst Cities? (Busan, Changwon, Seoul)

You can comment or add a question in any of these posts and they will rise ("bump") to the top of the screen.
SkillSkillette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I appreciate the info....hmmm Geeez is there a lot of negative stuff being said about Koreans. Hmmm..would we be better off in Japan?! Only one way to find out I suppose. I guess we'll just expect the worst and enjoy the best! Thanks for all the insights and help!
peppermint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, about the negative comments:

For lots of people this is just a place to vent about the daily frustrations of life in another country, when you don't always have a sypathetic ear at hand. For a little balance check this out
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=7704

I taught at an elementary school and it can be a good thing or a bad thing. Those jobs are rare, class size is generally HUGE (30-40 kids in a Grade 2 class!) Shocked and the textbooks are crap. On the upside, the hours are good, and vacation time owns.

Odds are pretty good that you'll find work with a hagwon, as opposed to a public elementary school. People like to complain about them, but do your research, ask tons of questions and you'll be fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: