Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jack's Recruiter Run-Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another message:
Quote:
Hi Lemon,

Thanks for posting the previous message I sent you (regarding JackSarang's and Korean Newfie's recruiters lists). I have one more request that you please post this reply from me, and then I promise I will leave it at that. I have no desire for the current thread to turn into a flamewar (or, at the least, a petty argument).

-----

There was a small misunderstanding from my previous message: that I refuse to work with any teacher whom I know is dealing with other agencies. This is often the case, because, as I stated before, it looks incredibly unprofessional (and professionalism is something that Jack and others have wished there was more of in this business) if I recommend a teacher to a school only to find out that another agency has already recommended the same teacher; however, I realize the competitiveness of this business, and therefore it would be foolish of me to pass on every client that I believe is courting offers from other agencies.

As I also stated before, I have developed a sort of sixth sense when dealing with ESL teachers. In some cases, I get an intuitive feeling that I'm only asking for trouble by persuing a particular teacher; in other cases, it's a bit more obvious (people sending me introductory letters that are similarily addressed to every agency in Korea -- these get absolutely no reply, ever). That said, I will go out of my way for a teacher whom I know is contacting various agencies, if I feel that they are professional (there's that word again, only the mirror's flipped) and I believe I have a contract/school that will knock their socks off.

I just thought that needed to be corrected. And this quote from an earlier post of JackSarang's may give the readers of this post a little indication as to why the thread was strated in the first place (read: ax to grind):

"I hate recruiters. I worked as a recruiter. Recruiters are scum.

But it seems like I'm stuck using them, problem is, I'm being very selective with what I want in a job and where it is. "

Anyway, I suppose I have overreacted to Jack and Newfie's posts (if the harshest accusation levelled at me is that I failed to respond to them, perhaps that might be considered praise by some), but only because I do have a certain amount of pride and PROFESSIONALISM which I would like to protect. Far too often recruiters get a bad (nay, horrible) rap on this board, and I usually take it in stride. But when my name is personally mentioned, it does raise my ire.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real estate agents (for one example) won't deal with a client if they know he's "playing the field".

Perfectly understandable, plus maybe the recruiter didn't have a position you were interested in (location, hours, etc.)

I don't blame them for not getting back to you, but

I have heard of seen some downright rude and lying recruiters.

In the meantime, I would contact Korjob just on his response to this thread alone.
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richinkorea wrote:
In the meantime, I would contact Korjob just on his response to this thread alone.

I'm halfway thinking of doing just that, despite my commitment to myself not to use a recruiter during my job search next month.
richardIII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not that I know anything about recruiters, but if he is a lieing, spineless, scumsucking, parasite (which is the impression I get from other threads that many recruiters are), then he's doing a very good job of hiding it. Plus, he's taking a risk by replying somewhat confrontationally to Jack's post, this suggests he cares about his reputation, which suggests it's worth protecting.

When I finally get my passport back from my mother (she's holding it until after graduation in ****ing April or so because she wants to make sure she can watch me walk across stage &c.) and come to Korea, I'll most likely see if he's got anything I'm looking for.
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My job search is on the rocks at the moment..no idea what I'm doing wrong, never had any problems before. Theres probably a delay due to the public holidays, but even still- I once advertised over Christmas and was besieged with offers..
Anyone know a good school hiring for September? PM me...!
white tiger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there,
I'd like to ad that I, myself am on the job-hunt.
nice analogy about real estate agents; however, there is one HUGE difference. to be a real estate agent, you need to pass an EXAM. (at least in Canada). THat way, you are assured that whe you pick an agent, you are dealing with some level of professionalism at least.

Recruiters can be locals, foreigners, experienced, inexperienced, old/young you name it... I have dealt with 3-4 recruiters, who, for whatever reason, have been far less than par. I don't mean that I expect the very best job, but I shouldn't have to call them two weeks later, when they said they would call me back in a day.

I have placed my full intentions and trust into these recruiters, only to have them send countless "offers" completely irrelevant to what I am looking for; and I, too, can relate to the "disappearing acts" that they can pull.

We're in the biz of teaching a western language; and in the western world, capitalism reigns; if you can't beat your competition, you will go out of business. It is so egotistical to think that only you can place me in a position; that only YOU are my Heavenly Gate to Korea.
white tiger, B. Mgt. (marketing)
Gord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

white tiger wrote:
I'd like to ad that I, myself am on the job-hunt.
nice analogy about real estate agents; however, there is one HUGE difference. to be a real estate agent, you need to pass an EXAM. (at least in Canada). THat way, you are assured that whe you pick an agent, you are dealing with some level of professionalism at least.

Recruiters can be locals, foreigners, experienced, inexperienced, old/young you name it... I have dealt with 3-4 recruiters, who, for whatever reason, have been far less than par. I don't mean that I expect the very best job, but I shouldn't have to call them two weeks later, when they said they would call me back in a day.

Recruiting companies are supposed to be licenced, and licenced recruiters have rules to follow in addition to being inspected by the government. But most recruiters you run across aren't licenced. If you are choosing to go with a recruiter that isn't licenced, you really shouldn't be complaining about how they aren't acting professional.

I've got a hell of an idea. Since the law in Korea dictates that a recruiter must be licenced, why not ask Dave to not accept advertising from recruiters who aren't licenced? It's a simple process to confirm if someone is licenced. Then that will eliminate non-licenced recruiters and solve many of the legitimate problems people come across.

Last edited by Gord on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a simple process to confirm if someone is licenced.

What is it?
Gord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Immigration with the name of the recruiter and their licence number.

Or just ask for the entire list from Immigration. It's really quite short. When I asked a year ago there were only a few names on the list.

A licenced recruiter can represent you at Immigration when dealing with them. An unlicenced rercruiter can not. Thus they have the list of who is legally allowed to represent the teacher.

Stephanie at FT Union is licenced. Inspectors come out to her office occasionally and whatnot, plus she occasionally represents a teacher when dealing with Immigration. Next time I see her, I'll ask exactly what government agency licences recruiters and we can pull up a list from them as well.

So we'll get the list, post it up, and because Dave loves us so he will no longer accept advertising from unlicenced recruiters in Korea! Well, I don't really see that last one happening because it would eliminate nearly all of his advertising revenue from Korean recruiters.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that list should be made publicly available. Hogwan.com might want to get on this... seems relevant to their mission. We'll link to it in Waterbaby's FAQ whenever it appears.
white tiger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord, that's an excellent idea; I hope it's as easy as it sounds!
cheers
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So we'll get the list, post it up, and because Dave loves us so he will no longer accept advertising from unlicenced recruiters in Korea! Well, I don't really see that last one happening because it would eliminate nearly all of his advertising revenue from Korean recruiters.

I reckon Dave really should take it to the next level (you know, if he really really does love us) and separate out the recruiter ads from school ads on the Korean jobs list, either visually by styling them differently, or in a completely different list, or by flagging them as such with some metadata and allowing us to tick a box to 'hide ads from recruiters'.

They're revenue-earners, I'm sure, as you mention, but they are pretty close to spam, as far as I'm concerned.
Unreal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Yeah, I realize the last posting on this topic is a year old but does anyone know where I can find this list of licensed recruiters online? That seemed to be the next logical place to go with this thread but apparently it's been dead for a while,
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! It's BTM's avatar! I wondered what happened to that dude...

Last edited by Zyzyfer on Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Sparkles*_*

Last edited by Tiberious aka Sparkles on Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: