Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreigners cannot be guaranteed freedom to enter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Foreigners cannot be guaranteed freedom to enter Reply with quote

How many other Korean-Americans are denied entry into Korea?

Korea-American Singer�s Petition for Reentry Dismissed

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) yesterday turned down a petition filed by Korean-American singer Yoo Seung-joon to be allowed reentry into the country.

"As Yoo is an American citizen, he cannot be guaranteed freedom to enter the country. Therefore, there can be no human rights violations with the entry ban,�� the commission said.

The 27-year-old pop singer, who also goes by the name Steve Yoo, had filed a petition with the human rights watchdog in May after he was denied entrance into the country early last year amid criticisms of his acquiring American citizenship to dodge military service here.

The NHRC said although freedom to enter and exit a country and change one's citizenship is protected under the Constitution, foreigners, unlike Korean nationals, cannot be guaranteed freedom to enter the country.
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/200307/kt2003072820215412070.htm
JackSarang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the key here is the allegation that he obtained American citizenship in order to dodge military service.

Koreans take that very seriously and its often one of the first things dug up about political opponents, as to whether they or any of their family ever dodged service.

Back in Decemeber there was to be a female Prime Minister but she was ratified due to allegations that she made arrangements for both her sons to dodge Military service via American citizenship.

It doesn't surprise me that they've made this an issue with this singer and denied him entry into the country.

Normal Korean-Americans have little trouble visiting Korea as evidenced by the fact that large numbers of them work in the ESL Industry.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

One KOrean guy told me that the singer out and out said that he wasn't going to join the army because it would ruin his singing career. Although I don't think gettin american citizenship and not being allowed to enter korean again certainly hasn't helped his career.
As for the woman prime minister I have heard that any time a woman gets a cabinet position or to be the prime minister they pruposely pick someone that will fail so that it is plain for everyone to see that women just simply aren't capable to handling that kind of job. Only men can have those jobs.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He told everyone he would do military service and then reneged and ran to America. I think he deserves what he gets. Anyway, I don't think this is a trend; this is a high-profile scapegoat and a lesson to people who want to use their fame to get out of military service (politicians' kids not included).
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a tale of hypocrisy and bending of the rules.

Many many MANY top officials in korea help their kids avoid military service all the time, and they don't even have to change citizenship, just some money under the table.

most guys dread going to the military anyway, they should be happy for the guy.

Strictly on paper, there is no reason Steve Yoo can't come back into korea, but the koreans are pissed cuz they see him as taking all the advantages of his korean heritage, but trying to dodge the responsibilities. thus, he got blacklisted.

petty if you ask me.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this doesnt make sense..
he was just here a few weeks ago for a funeral..
he must be aloud to come here as a tourist!

he will have an F4 visa. this doesnt make any sense,,
poor old yoo must of spent all his money trying to live like P-Diddy back in the states,,, yep he was famous now he aint squat.. guess he thinks he can come back to the cash cow, but the cow is not milking today!!
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but remember the country you are intending to visit is under absolutely no obligation to let you in if you are not a citizen (I'm not sure about permanent residents). You can have a heart of gold, all the correct paperwork, etc., but customs and immigration in each country is not obligated to let you in, if they don't want to. It can even be simply a matter of a customs officer not liking your clothes. And they don't have to be consistent. They can let in or not let in whoever they want.
funplanet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly, manner of speaking....and one must remember this....a VISA does not guarantee entry...it only gives the holder the right to get on the plane or boat and ARRIVE at the port of entry....only the immigration officer has the right to grant or deny entry at the port of entry...NOT the visa!

that is the policy of ALL nations...concerning permanent residents...the US green card guarantees entry for the holder...
jh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very popular and famous singer in Korea tried to go to Guam a month ago to do some shooting for a TV station. One of those group excursion-funny-games skit shows. She was with an entire group of TV staff and personnel.

One immigration officer was very rude to the group, singled her out, put her in a confined room away from the rest of her group and, after she started banging on the door to let her out, came back in and ordered her to kneel on the floor. No explanation.

This had happened after her VISA had been stamped on the passport. She had been officially "waved through." Apparently they mistook her for a drug trafficker.

She came back in quite a shock.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh wrote:
A very popular and famous singer in Korea tried to go to Guam a month ago to do some shooting for a TV station. One of those group excursion-funny-games skit shows. She was with an entire group of TV staff and personnel.

bet she was kicking and screaming saying YA!! do you know who I am!
HUH!! I am a famous singer ok!!!
and being famous means??????
the immigration guy is probably laughing YEAH well now you are a famous korean singer in my cell!!! and if you dont stop banging that door you will be a famous korean singer with handcuffs on!!!!!
SHUT UP!!!!
sometimes celebrities just think because they are on TV their opinion means something!
HEELLOO!!!
jh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
the immigration guy is probably laughing YEAH well now you are a famous korean singer in my cell!!! and if you dont stop banging that door you will be a famous korean singer with handcuffs on!!!!!
SHUT UP!!!!
sometimes celebrities just think because they are on TV their opinion means something!
HEELLOO!!!

Are you talking about KOREAN TV and KOREAN celebrities?

Um...nope, that's not what she did. I just assumed that most people knew about the incident cuz she was famous and it was in all the stations and news programs and papers. I guess you missed it last month or you don't watch too much Korean TV. If you know anything about celebrities in Korea, they are pretty modest and quiet about their celebrity status. This is not Hollywood. She was one of many celebrities invited by the Broadcasting station, meaning she was NOT travelling alone but was going to please clients who are her bread and butter. Celebrities might appear snobbish to us riff raff, but I assure you they do not act that way to their bosses. Actually I've never met a Korean celebrity act the way you just described, and I've met quite a few.

Where do you get these ideas? Are you speaking from experience? What I HAVE noticed is a lot of Korean-Americans behave precisely the way you just described. In terms of "acting out," and "behaviour" the Korean entertainment industry is VERY conservative. Even if it's only on the surface, that kind of behaviour would never be tolerated, as I am sure many are aware that most celebrities are salaried employees, just like the rest of us. If they get lucky they get lucrative commercial film endorsement deals, but would NEVER happen should they misbehave.

The reason she was banging on the door was because she was singled out without having said a word. She had already passed through immigration but was waiting for everyone to join the group, as they were travelling as such (in a group).

During her wait, one officer came up to her and asked her to remove her sunglasses (she presumed it was to get a look at her face). She complied and then went back to waiting with the other people. One very angry officer, started shouting at her very loudly (she really couldn't understand what was being said), then grabbed her hard and pulled her into a room.

She was more shocked and confused than anything. This turned to fear as she realized that her manager and other people did not know where she was. She started to panic and started banging on the door. The officer then came in and again and started shouting at her and forcibly grabbed her arm and pulled her down to kneel on the floor.

She appeared quite visibly shaken when she was later interviewed. And no, she is not an actress (a singer). Other celebrities were interviewed, and they all said that they didn't know what had happened cuz they were separated going through customs. They found out after the fact.

Anywho, I don't think she'll be going back to Guam or anyplace American anytime soon. If that's no big deal to you, well...
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funplanet wrote:
exactly, manner of speaking....and one must remember this....a VISA does not guarantee entry...it only gives the holder the right to get on the plane or boat and ARRIVE at the port of entry....only the immigration officer has the right to grant or deny entry at the port of entry...NOT the visa!

that is the policy of ALL nations...concerning permanent residents...the US green card guarantees entry for the holder...
Yupper. Always make nice to the customs officer, whether you want to or not.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh wrote:
itaewonguy wrote:
SHUT UP!!!!
HEELLOO!!!

Are you talking about KOREAN TV and KOREAN celebrities?

Um...nope, that's not what she did. I just assumed that most people knew about the incident cuz she was famous and it was in all the stations and news programs and papers. I guess you missed it last month or you don't watch too much Korean TV. If you know anything about celebrities in Korea, they are pretty modest and quiet about their celebrity status. This is not Hollywood. She was one of many celebrities invited by the Broadcasting station, meaning she was NOT travelling alone but was going to please clients who are her bread and butter. Celebrities might appear snobbish to us riff raff, but I assure you they do not act that way to their bosses. Actually I've never met a Korean celebrity act the way you just described, and I've met quite a few.

Where do you get these ideas? Are you speaking from experience? What I HAVE noticed is a lot of Korean-Americans behave precisely the way you just described. In terms of "acting out," and "behaviour" the Korean entertainment industry is VERY conservative. Even if it's only on the surface, that kind of behaviour would never be tolerated, as I am sure many are aware that most celebrities are salaried employees, just like the rest of us. If they get lucky they get lucrative commercial film endorsement deals, but would NEVER happen should they misbehave.

The reason she was banging on the door was because she was singled out without having said a word. She had already passed through immigration but was waiting for everyone to join the group, as they were travelling as such (in a group).

During her wait, one officer came up to her and asked her to remove her sunglasses (she presumed it was to get a look at her face). She complied and then went back to waiting with the other people. One very angry officer, started shouting at her very loudly (she really couldn't understand what was being said), then grabbed her hard and pulled her into a room.

She was more shocked and confused than anything. This turned to fear as she realized that her manager and other people did not know where she was. She started to panic and started banging on the door. The officer then came in and again and started shouting at her and forcibly grabbed her arm and pulled her down to kneel on the floor.

She appeared quite visibly shaken when she was later interviewed. And no, she is not an actress (a singer). Other celebrities were interviewed, and they all said that they didn't know what had happened cuz they were separated going through customs. They found out after the fact.

Anywho, I don't think she'll be going back to Guam or anyplace American anytime soon. If that's no big deal to you, well...

and of course that is her side of the story!
I have met many celebrities in Korea! I have appreared on many tv shows in korea I even had my own show for a while where I was a recurring guest!
I have drank with celebrities and my girl friend Just female friend! is a famous actress and another one is a cordinator..
My wife is up to date to stars and their rumors, my wifes friends are ex singers in korea so I have heard all the stories..

and you my friend are very mistaken!
korean celebrities are notorious for acting like children!!!
especially from tha days of Kim JI mee the 60's actress who was very hard to work with and had a cery rude character, even todays actresses like Che Jin shil who is famous for being rude and thinks she is gods gift!

of course you can only take your power so far! of course you cant tell the president of KBS or SBS to go *beep* himself.. that would be career suicide
but a reporter or some broadcast PD sure a bitch will tell him..
and try to use her power on people less than them!!

that story you mention I think you are forgetting out one thing..
I heard that story went it first came out..
she was being a bitch at the resort and the manager kicked them out of the resort! and she started saying do you kow who I am blar blar..

all actresses or rich kids, or anyone who thinks just because they know someone or is someone in their eyes important JUST because they get water fetched and they tell people do this and do that and they get treated special IT GOES TO THEIR HEAD!

IT all comes down to individual people.. some celebrities or people are just plain nice!! others are NOT

and the korean entertainment world is nothing like you mentioned!
its all about USING! cheating, lying. and backdoor handshakes!!
the girls get pasted around like play toys for the guys in higher postions.
young girls 18-20 years wannabie up and coming singers get decieved by the managers and other people.. full of BS promises!
the power level is a chain game.. once you get a little power you use it on the people under you..
you think an actress like SHIM MOO NA want tell an up and coming actress or hairdresser in BANMAL something
what I have seen and be told a lot of these actresses think they are GRETA GRABO or AUDREY HEPBOURNE! working with CECIL B DEMILLE!
I mean come one PLLLEEEAAASEEEE

and the whole business is DIRTY
corrupt and dishonest!! VERY DIFFERENT TO HOLLYWOOD and the UNITED STATES LEGAL SYSTEM
boy bads here like H.O.T who made millions for SM didnt received even a a quater of what they were entitled too
singers like DIVA, BABY VOX, ETC>>>!
have to sleep with people all the time to stay in the LITE
thats how the korean entertainment world works
all those girls on TV you see are glamourized WHORES!!
they all slept there way there! and as they get older they are no more wanted. most of these girls make SMALL MONEY!! you know how they get their money?
buy older gentleman who use these girls as his number 2!!
buy her a car or house whatever.
I know all this because I have heard it all straight from the horses mouth.
Korean men use stuff like if you dont sleep with me I wont make you famous.
you better do this or you will be nothing ok.
and these poor girls just want to be famous they will do anything.
so these men prey on their insecurities.
yes it happens all over the world! I kow this..
I also agree with what you say, what you say doesn happen here too..
but so does what I say..
not flaming you bro!! just saying what else happens here..
jh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
and of course that is her side of the story!
I have met many celebrities in Korea! I have appreared on many tv shows in korea I even had my own show for a while where I was a recurring guest!

You had your own show? Pray tell!

Quote:
and you my friend are very mistaken!
korean celebrities are notorious for acting like children!!!
especially from tha days of Kim JI mee the 60's actress who was very hard to work with and had a cery rude character, even todays actresses like Che Jin shil who is famous for being rude and thinks she is gods gift!
Jin shil does not think she is God's gift. She is going through a rather difficult time right now, and she has hardly made any appearances. You do know what I'm talking about, right?

Quote:
that story you mention I think you are forgetting out one thing..
I heard that story went it first came out..
she was being a *beep* at the resort and the manager kicked them out of the resort! and she started saying do you kow who I am blar blar..

Perhaps we're talking about the two different incidents here. The singer NEVER made it to the resort! This unfortunate incident occurred at IMMIGRATION. She returned home immediately on the next flight. SHE NEVER SET FOOT IN GUAM.

Quote:
IT all comes down to individual people.. some celebrities or people are just plain nice!! others are NOT
I must be fortunate to know only the nice ones, eh? Very Happy

Quote:
and the korean entertainment world is nothing like you mentioned!
its all about USING! cheating, lying. and backdoor handshakes!!
the girls get pasted around like play toys for the guys in higher postions.
young girls 18-20 years wannabie up and coming singers get decieved by the managers and other people.. full of BS promises!
the power level is a chain game.. once you get a little power you use it on the people under you..
you think an actress like SHIM MOO NA want tell an up and coming actress or hairdresser in BANMAL something
what I have seen and be told a lot of these actresses think they are GRETA GRABO or AUDREY HEPBOURNE! working with CECIL B DEMILLE!
I mean come one PLLLEEEAAASEEEE
I think you reiterated my point in a rather roundabout colorful way. You see, these "celebrities" themselves are salaried employees, and they rely on "industry" people to make them look good. Ergo, they can't get away with untoward behaviour.

Quote:
and the whole business is DIRTY
corrupt and dishonest!! VERY DIFFERENT TO HOLLYWOOD and the UNITED STATES LEGAL SYSTEM
boy bads here like H.O.T who made millions for SM didnt received even a a quater of what they were entitled too
singers like DIVA, BABY VOX, ETC>>>!
have to sleep with people all the time to stay in the LITE
thats how the korean entertainment world works
all those girls on TV you see are glamourized WHORES!!
they all slept there way there! and as they get older they are no more wanted. most of these girls make SMALL MONEY!! you know how they get their money?
buy older gentleman who use these girls as his number 2!!
buy her a car or house whatever.
I know all this because I have heard it all straight from the horses mouth.
Korean men use stuff like if you dont sleep with me I wont make you famous.
you better do this or you will be nothing ok.
and these poor girls just want to be famous they will do anything.
so these men prey on their insecurities.
yes it happens all over the world! I kow this..
I also agree with what you say, what you say doesn happen here too..
but so does what I say..
not flaming you bro!! just saying what else happens here..

No flame taken. This isn't the sixties here, bro. Management companies are pretty professional nowadays. Money is too big to be fooling around. Again I think you just proved my point that those entertainers you mentioned (and not the bigwig executives pulling the strings) are pretty modest and well-behaved, they cannot afford not to be.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have appreared on many tv shows in korea I even had my own show for a while where I was a recurring guest!

You were a GUEST on your own SHOW?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: