Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing a spouse to Korea/Bringing a spouse home from Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Bringing a spouse to Korea/Bringing a spouse home from Korea Reply with quote

If a married couple wishes to come to Korea, what paperwork is involved for the person who won't be teaching?

Also, if that person doesn't want to teach, is there any chance of finding a job in another field after he/she comes to Korea?

Has anyone out there married in Korea and then returned to their home country? How long and involved was the process?

I am particularly interested in knowing about Canadian/American marriages. My fiance and I are contemplating the options of getting married in Canada, the US or Korea. I'm presently in Canada, he's in the US, and we are thinking of going to Korea. I've lived there before, but he's never been and does not want to teach - in any form - so we have to consider the implications carefully.

Thanks for any and all input.
Cabbit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Im not sure how helpful this will be for you. But I will try to hep out with the first query.
My husband doesnt teach but lives with me in Korea. When we moved, I had a visa and he was on a tourist visa as it was so hard to get him a visa from outside Korea. Once we arrived we went to immigration and appied for an F2 visa (spousal visa). This allows him to stay in Korea with me as long as my visa is valid. We renew his visa when I renew mine. Sometimes you might get a pain in the bottom old fogie at immigration who beleives that it is the womans job to stay at home and not the mans and refuses to give us an extention.......in this case I jumped up and down until he gave in and made my husband write a statement about what he did in Korea. Very weird and just a formality I think.
If your future husband doesnt have a profession as such, I recomend you have one ready to tell immigration (my husband is a writer and that keeps them happy....as long as he is not a spy Wink ).
It is pretty smooth sailing here for us, if you need any other info on this or anyother matter feel free to e-mail us!!

Oh, and Im sure your partner could find part time work in Korea....I think there is a clause in the F2 that states that the person can do menial work Confused If he wants to try teaching there are plenty of private jobs available!! (not legal Im afraid)
Take care
NJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't possible to get the spousal visa when applying for the E-2?

My husband- to- be is a cook and would love to do something like that there. Think that would apply as menial work?

It's good to know that one can go that route.

Thanks!
white tiger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. what about common-law? is that considered a spouse in Korea?
Cabbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I dont know what kind of jobs he can do here, I think you will have to ask immigration.
What is common law? Is that like a defacto relationship? If so then I dont think that is concidered a spouse. My husband was required to show our marriage certificate.
And you should try to get a visa for your spouse from your country as each application is different. I think that my husband looked dark in the passport photo and they thought he looked like an iraqi spy Rolling Eyes Laughing (seriously). But when they met him in person it was ok Rolling Eyes .
If you can't get one before you enter, dont worry as you can apply for one once in the country, and you will have to show them your E2 visa first.

Good luck, hope I helped
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: