Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

classroom resources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: classroom resources Reply with quote

I've noticed lately that there have been a few posts asking for tips for the classroom. I have quite a few resource books that I have purchased over the years. I recently compiled a partial database of all my books, using Endnote. I am posting only the books that I am still currently using regularily in my classes. All of these may be found at Kyobo, Youngpoog, or the English+ bookstores.

Later on I will post a list of books about Pedegogy that I have found useful and easy to read by someone with little or no training. That is if enough people are interested in self directed professional improvement.

Azar, B. S. (1992). Fundementals of English Grammar. Englewoods Cliff: Prentice Hall Regents.
Brandon, L. (2003). At a Glance: Essays. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.

Brandon, L. (2003). At a Glance: Sentences. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.

Brandon, L. (2003). At a Glance: Paragraphs. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.

Campbell, C., & Kryszewska, H. (1992). Learner-Based Teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Dobbs, C. S., & Dobbs, F. (1992). More Reasons for Reading. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall Regents.

Edward B. Fry, P. D. (2000). Reading Drills: middle level. Lincolnwood (Chicago): Jamestown Publisher.

Hadfield, J. (1992). Classroom Dynamics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Hedge, T. (1988). Writing. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Kealey, J., & Inness, D. (1997). Shenanigames: Grammar-Focused Interactive ESL/EFL Activities and Games: ProLingua Associates.

Kehe, D., & Kehe, P. D. (1994). Conversation Stategies: Pair and Group Activities for Developing Communicative Competence. Brattleboro: Pro Lingua Associates.

Klippel, F. (1984). Keep Talking. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Ladousse, G. P. (1987). Roleplay. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Rooks, G. (1988). The Non-Stop Discussion Workbook: Problems for Intermediate and Advanced Students of English (second ed.). Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.

Rooks, G. (1990). Can't Stop Talking (second ed.). Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.

Swan, M. (1995). Practical English Use (second ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Wallwork, A. (1997). Discussions A-Z: (Intermediate) A resource book of Speaking Activities. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Wallwork, A. (1997). Discussions A-Z: (Advanced) A Resource Book of Speaking Activities. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I teach primarily adults so my resources reflect that. I'm sure that some of them would be useful for middleschool and highschool students with some adaption.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's going straight to the Pool Room too! (aka Waterbaby's FAQs).

BTW - Can anyone recommend some good general teaching books (not related to EFL/ESL)?
ed1980

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: cheers Reply with quote

so how many books do you reckon I should go out there with ?

any books got a bible like status in the TEFL world ?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: cheers Reply with quote

ed1980 wrote:
so how many books do you reckon I should go out there with ?

any books got a bible like status in the TEFL world ?

Principles of language learning and teaching - H. douglas Brown

Buy one or two books before you leave and read them, the rest you should be able to buy here easily as long as you are living in Seoul or busan
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be teaching kids, buy

Teaching English to Children in Asia - by David Paul

I've just bought it myself and I am finding it most enlightening. Cool

Most of those books listed are available here, so you don't really have to bring them from home.

Some other useful books are from Oxford, their "Resources for teachers", series can be helpful at times.

especially 2 that I've found. "Games for Children" and "Young Learners"

Anyway, if you only buy one book, get the David Paul book. Read it, study it, use it. It will help you a lot.

Cheers
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
If you are going to be teaching kids, buy

Teaching English to Children in Asia - by David Paul

I've just bought it myself and I am finding it most enlightening. Cool

Because I am lazy, and it would take me about an hour to get to the bookstore - what does this book have in it? Why is it so good?

Does it cover the fundamentals of teaching, or is it more based on teaching the english language and cover grammer, etc?

It sounds like something that I could use. So if anyone could explain what the book actually has in it, that would be great.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Blue Flower i bought this book about a month ago I think it is pretty good. It deals mostly with the theroy of teaching EFL (enlish as a foriegn language) to asians. It also has a lot of practical advice in it. It supports the child centred learning approach. Has tons of great teaching ideas. 100 game suggestions and links to a variety of english learning sites on the web. Some are for teachers others are for students. I haven't read anyother books on teach methodology but i would guess its a good place to start because it gives a good overview of various teaching methods. If you want to gain more indepth knowlodge into certain areas later on then this book can point you in the right direction in choosing what books to read.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. The reason I was curious is that I don't really need anything on teaching methodology, having already done that. But would like extra info on what exactly i am supposed to be doing. Especially since i am soon going to be developing my own curriculum. Which is pretty scary stuff! I will check the book out.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a book that you may find useful when designing your own curriculum.

Designing language Courses: A guide for Teachers - Kathleen Graves

It's pink with a black spine and only cost me 20,000 won at Kyobo.
Blue Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!! That sounds exactly like what I need! I told myself I wouldn't buy any more books, but I guess books for work don't count. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: