Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you, American Soldier
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_daniels

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Thank you, American Soldier Reply with quote

I just saw a really good article on the US military in general and USFK in Korea. It says we should take time and thank America and its soldiers. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to agree with this view wholeheartedly. It is fashionable to slag soldiers and the US these days, but I think we should be doing the very opposite.

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200303/200303160003.html
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind thanking soldiers so much. But I am defineatley going to slag the government and decision makers.

Last edited by Rand Al Thor on Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I'm American, but I think US Solders should go home. Why? Because their ally hates them! Koreans hate them!! The world hates them. If I were an enlisted soldier I'd hate this country. Fortunately though I'm an English Teacher, so Koreans love me!! Smile So I love them! yoo-hoo!! But anyhow.. good article..

--------------------

From the article:

Which brings us to South Korea, America's most inscrutable ally. In recent months, Koreans have voiced their hatred against the U.S. military by burning American flags, shouting anti-U.S. slogans, and storming American military installations. USFK soldiers have been pummeled with concrete blocks, spat on, refused service in restaurants, abducted by mobs, and even knifed in underpasses.
Alias

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but did anyone else read about the US soldier who committed suicide in Itaewan over the weekend? Sad
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:
Off topic but did anyone else read about the US soldier who committed suicide in Itaewan over the weekend? Sad

no, whats the story on that?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can remember is that he was 29 and was found hanging from a belt in a motel in Itaewon
eamo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of the thread lost there I think. What about individual responsibility? We assume that each GI is like a blameless goon at the mercy of the orders their officers. Are they? The NAZI's said they were.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, another thread turned into an Anti-US tirade.

Thanks for reminding me to go and thank the next service member I see. Thanks for their commitment and desire to better themselves.
Thanks for doing a job many others wouldn't. Thanks for allowing me to choose my lifestyle, standard of living, and way of life.

You can also thank them for being directly responsible for allowing you to make a living in Korea.

Tiger, have you been watching too much Free Speech TV these days ? CNBC reported a 2/3 majority approved the decision to go.

The last two paragraphs of the original article(for those too lazy to have opened it).

Let us change this sad state of affairs. Wherever you live, tell an American soldier you appreciate what he or she has done for you. Show your appreciation with a handshake or even a letter. While the fruits of your act may not be readily apparent, you will leave an impression that will never be forgotten. And if you are not American, it will mean even more, for at no other time has America needed friends than now.

Thank you, American soldier. May God bless you and shield you from harm. Your cause is just and you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Owen Rathbone is a Canadian resident of Seoul. He can be contacted at: >[email protected]
Canadians are cool Exclamation

Hey Owen, what's your handle here ?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richinkorea wrote:
Tiger, have you been watching too much Free Speech TV these days ? CNBC reported a 2/3 majority approved the decision to go.

Yeah, maybe so! I've been reading alot of opposition propoganda.. yeah, actually you are right.. alot of the world does support the iniative.. I was reading some statements by a few allies just now actually..

Australia, Italy, Japan, etc.,etc.. according to one article, 30 countries in support.. including South Korea.. even the Turkish government is trying to reverse Turkish Parliament on the usage of Turkish soil for the U.S.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richinkorea wrote:

Just throwing this out for the hell of it more than anything else, but a majority also apparently approved calling them potato stick things "Freedom Fries"...

Ya win some, ya lose some.

I can't exactly be grateful to the men and women in America's Armed Forces. I've had family in the Navy and all, and while I will show respect for their work, I wouldn't go quite so far as to thank anyone for anything.
Alias

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Just throwing this out for the hell of it more than anything else, but a majority also apparently approved calling them potato stick things "Freedom Fries"... >

It is so stupid. The word 'French' in French Fries has nothing to do with France. 'French' is in fact a cooking term.
Are they going to change French Kiss to Freedom Kiss?
richinkorea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
richinkorea wrote:

Just throwing this out for the hell of it more than anything else, but a majority also apparently approved calling them potato stick things "Freedom Fries"...

Ya win some, ya lose some.

I can't exactly be grateful to the men and women in America's Armed Forces. I've had family in the Navy and all, and while I will show respect for their work, I wouldn't go quite so far as to thank anyone for anything.

I get a TV channel on Dish Network called Free Speech TV. It's mostly about the war with Iraq and assorted other gov't conspiracy theories. That's what I was referring to.

It's actually interesting to watch even though I disagee with most of what they are talking about.

Anyone else seen it ?
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent polls have shown that 65 percent of Americans back Bush's decision to go to war. I do also.

I want to see Saddam Hussein removed from power and democracy in Iraq. However, people around the world don't empathize with his reasoning to go to war. Right now he's not a very popular fellow. This is gonna be one long battle.

Last edited by matthews_world on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
dulouz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Korea would be nothing without The US soldiers. No one here would have the job they do. It'd be just another dirt pit like Vietnam. You would still love the differently colored people as you now do but you would not have the materialistic stuff you have. Would the Japanese still be here? Would Korea be owned by the North or China? Good boys, White boys from Iowa and Wisconsin came here to die so these strangers could have a good materialistic life. 50,000 of 'em dead and for what and who?

Further, these jobs you have come in large part from foreign trade with the US, again made possible by US soldiers.

I am a US Navy and Public Health Service veteran. I keep track of the insults from all sides and the shallowness of being on one side or the other determined by your haircut. I did not walk through a magic door to become acceptable when I became a teacher. I am the same person.

To be fair, I appreciate the support voiced earlier, I will be certain to contribute to that good will in the future. The rest of you are quite two faced.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobacco fiend: you're a real winner pal! I pitty you. Just because you are not MAN enough to stand up for what is right does not make U.S. soldiers killers. No one likes war. But it's a fact of life and innocent people die. This has gone on for thousands of years. And will go on until the end of the world.
"Thank you, American Soldier! You maim, you kill, you slaughter. You offer many sacrifices to Moloch--er, JESUS--my God. You love your country enough to rip off the arms, legs, and HEAD of anyone who stands in America's great way. THANK YOU, American Soldier!"
What? No other country kills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: