Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My hagwon ad for new teachers....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jajdude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: My hagwon ad for new teachers.... Reply with quote

Well my co-worker is finished his contract in a month but agreed to stay on another 2 months. And I just started less than 3 months ago. Yesterday an ad on the "englishspectrum" site from my hagwon seeks two new teachers, starting Sept. 1st and OCt. 1st. Two foreigners is all we have now and all we need for a while, at least I thought. I didn't ask anybody else at work. The manager just left last week and will soon be replaced I think. But there seems something shady is going on. They've been too cheap I think to send me to Japan for the E2 anyway. Maybe that's why they want a newcomer? Well whatever....
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

returned with a bump after moderator review
JackSarang

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My hagwon ad for new teachers.... Reply with quote

jajdude wrote:
Well my co-worker is finished his contract in a month but agreed to stay on another 2 months. And I just started less than 3 months ago. Yesterday an ad on the "englishspectrum" site from my hagwon seeks two new teachers, starting Sept. 1st and OCt. 1st. Two foreigners is all we have now and all we need for a while, at least I thought. I didn't ask anybody else at work. The manager just left last week and will soon be replaced I think. But there seems something shady is going on. They've been too cheap I think to send me to Japan for the E2 anyway. Maybe that's why they want a newcomer? Well whatever....

So you've been working for almost 3 months illegally? Do you have an Alien Registration Card? If not, you could be in some trouble.

This ad coupled with the fact they haven't secured your Visa yet is something to be worried about. Your an illegal teacher, you have zero recourse if they decide to chuck you.
SeoulShaun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't gotten your Visa means you are illegal and it really isnt your hogwan as you don't actually work there. Cover your ass, get your papers together or the papers you may get next are deportation ones.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side you are free to go find work with any hogwan you please. If they haven't gotten you your visa after three months I'd take a look around. There is a good chance you'll find an attractive position elsewhere and you're free to take it!
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Find Reply with quote

Find new LEGAL work now!

Get the hell out. I am serious. I just got busted for working in just such a situation as yours, and immigrations fined us both. Immigrations spoke ZERO english, and gosh knows what my boss told them. I was only on day 2 working illegally though. Fine was the minimum of 500,000 won. Could have been up to 3 million, and might have been deported, but wasn't. Had to "exit" the country, and then return, though. I paid that bill myself. And now they tell me they may not approve my next E-2 for another school for another 6 months. I'm currently sweating that out, waiting to see if they will approve this new school.

If your school hasn't helped you get it, then that's an indication you need to leave. Just find another school. Your situation doesn't sound good. Get your last paycheck and go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: