Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More pressing questions about Korean hygiene products

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katydid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: More pressing questions about Korean hygiene products Reply with quote

Everytime I go into a cosmetics shop, if I even am just SEEN picking up a whitening skin soap/lotion/gel whatever, I am quickly ushered out of that area, and then the sales assistant places another kind of soap into my hand, an embarrassed grin stuck on her face. I have even been in stores where a woman saw a customer (me) and then was ready to launch into her spiel about how great the whiteneing cream was,just out of force of habit, until she got a good look at me. Then she said never mind your skin is already white.
OK, so here is my question....so if my skin is already white, why do sales associates insist I don't buy the stuff? Let us just say that one day, the sales assistant is off in la la land, and I (gasp) buy some of the whiteneing soap, take it home and then use it. What happens then? Does my already white skin become translucent? Will I look like a kabuki performer? Smile
(On a side note, I actually think I bought some face powder that had a whitening element in it once, because man, I looked PALE whenever I used it.)
I had a black friend who told me she once accidentally bought some whitening face cleanser and she said something happened to her skin, but I forget what happened to her exactly.
What's in that stuff anyways? Does it contain some kind of whitening chemical, or does it have kind of a reflective powder to make your face look brighter?
Again, just curious...
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink It's bleach! I wouldn't put it on my skin even if you paid me for it. Poor Korean ladies - they are desperate.

TM
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly - they think that by bleaching your skin it will be whiter, but it doesn't do anything but damage your skin. Skin colour is determined way down. Be thankful they wont let you have it, it wont work, and will make you look terrible. Nothing looks worse than mis-matched make=up.
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleach?! BLEACH?!?!? Surprised

I thought with the wink in her reply, The Marchioness was trying to pull my leg.
Wow, that is really unfortunate. Isn't there some sort of saying out there, about women having to suffer for their beauty or something like that? But bleaching your skin... that is just ridiculous. I can't imagine that has to do any good for the women's skin in the long-term scope of things...
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither does deliberately exposing your skin to uv damage but we do it...
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, point taken, GFM, but BLEACH...might explain the parasols now...can't imagine that getting even a mild sunburn on bleached skin feels very good...
Broccoli

Location: Right foot in Limbo, left foot sliding somewhere darker.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a habbit of washing her face each night with a bit of toothpaste (she claims it dries up oil and helps fight acne). She used whitening toothpaste for a while and it bleached her skin even though she was already pretty pale. It looks really good, though. She's a goth chick, and now she has this perfect porceline skin without having to use any foundation.

Being a very fair person myself, I just don't tan and I don't even burn very easily. I'm not sure why, but maybe all the suns' rays just get absorbed directly into my body. (When i do burn, though, it's a doozy. Yikes!) I don't go outside much anymore without a heavy layer of UV45.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: