Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Someone Please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanatKumara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Someone Please help! Reply with quote

Hi:

I have been teaching for 3 months (6 days a week - 6 to 7 classes a day) and have just return from my vacation to Thailand for 5 days and my flight got overbooked and so they asked me to take another flight which left in one hour. However, they could not get me on that flight either so I ended up not leaving until 7AM the next morning. I had a layover in Taiwan and as soon as I landed, I called my school to let them know I would not make it to work. Unfortunately, 5 other teachers had similar problems and did not make it to work either. As you imagaine. the owner was livid and reamed us all. However, of the 5 teachers I am the only getting fired because the others are about to finish their contracts and the owner is docking 20% of their pay and if they don't accpet they have the option of leaving.

I did my best to plead with the owner, but he says that what happened yesterday is unnaceptable by his standards. So, I have been here 3 months and have had 2 paychecks. I took a draw on my next pay in order to go to Thailand on vacation and can't even afford to fly home. So, I need to find a job here. If you know of any openings, please email me at [email protected] or call me at home 3436-1536. I have been given two days in apt before, I have to leave. I am feeling pretty deperate at the moment and would really like to find another decent position quiclkly.

Thanks Micah!
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

First thing you might want to do is contact elf law. What your boss is doing might not be legal. i dont' know how friendly you are with your co workers but maybe you can crash at their places until you get a new job settled out. Also ask for a release letter.
Seems pretty strange that 6 of you had overbooked flights. I'm sure your director is pretty suspicious about it. Can you get the airline to prove that your flight was overbooked? If you can then he should have no reasson to fire you. Although i doubt you would want to work for him again.
The Den

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey whereabouts do yo live? Which city or region is it? I also suggest you contact EFL law. If you live near Pusan I can give you the name of a reputable recruiter.
Kalhoun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunted Wookie in Pusan is an awesome recruiter. He's Canadian and I highly recommend him.

Kalhoun
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact EFL-Law at http://www.efl-law.com or send them an email [email protected]

Tell them your story and they will give you good, fast advice. I don't think your co-workers should be taking a 20% pay cut either...

You'll probably need to get in touch with the Labour Board... but wait and see what EFL-Law say first.
mongrel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: please help Reply with quote

as well as what's already been suggested, if you try anthony at [email protected] he may be able to help. he was good with my new job. hope you sort it out.
bepositive

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a real name for 'Stunted Wookie' in Pusan. I notice he's involved with the new Hogwan website. If he's a recruiter himself I'm not sure how the opinions on this website can be unbiased???

Nevertheless, I've got a friend looking for work in Pusan so if he's good I'll get her to contact him..........
SanatKumara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please give me an email address for the recruiter in Busan. I am in Seoul, but am willing to relocate for the right position. Laughing
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send a PM (Personal Message) to Stunted Wookie through this site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: