Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Immigration Trolls on english spectrum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, the immigration just doesn't have the resources, ability, or desire to do something that lame. They are way more worried about the migrant workers these days that you don't have to worry.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I think most directors have some guy at immigration paid off so they don't go asking questions. My last director did.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, wait a minute here.....

Lot's of replies here saying "Yes, it's illegal" but could someone find a reference as to what law is being broken? Where can I find the laws concerning the teaching of privates? I'm well aware that you are only supposed to work at the place that is specificied as your E2 sponsor. I am also aware that you can get permission to work at another location.

Is there anyone out there that has real first hand experience? Have you taught privates and been caught by immigration? Do you have any close personal friends who have been caught teaching privates? What happened?

Personally I don't know anyone that has been caught teaching privates....if you have please stand up and tell me your story.

PS. Couldn't find any info on efl-law.com concerning the teaching of private classes....
Dalton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once heard that the number one reason for being caught teaching privates was by pi$$ ing off your Korean girlfriend.

Personally I would not teach privates in Korea and I couldn't care less if others do. I certainly wouldn't answer an internet ad.
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I seriously doubt they have the resources to troll a crappy internet message board.

Quote:
dude, the immigration just doesn't have the resources

Without wanting to be facetious, the only resource they need is a computer and I'm sure there are plenty of them at Immigration Wink
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazykiwi wrote:
Who the hell said that? The subject was "is it illegal?" to which the answer is "yes".
Quote:

this guy did

All I can say if it is true, it's about time someone did something about teachers doing privates

yes, the original post was asking if "privates" were illigal and this guy tries to hijack the thread by making yet another comment about the why private teachers should be hated the world round. so in answer to your question, this guy was the one that hadeshorn was refering to. work it brother (or sister)

my 2 cents

No hijacking. The thread is about the illegality of teaching privates. That is a wide topic which covers several areas. I was just stating that if you want to break the law then you deserve to face the consequences whatever they are. Why so defensive? Teaching privates are we? I just find it absolutely silly that people would complain about the boss breaking the contract, and then they turn around and break it themselves by teaching privates.

Some people will try and defend themselves by saying "my contract doesn't have anything in it about privates." Okay but when I entered the country (for the first time) I had to sign a piece of paper at Immigration saying I agreed not to violate any of Korea's laws. Quite likely all of us did. Those include teaching privates. As for you Mr. crazy kiwi threads diverge. Deal with it
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I just want to know Reply with quote

hadeshorn wrote:
Why do you want people to stop teaching privates? Is this an ethical problem you have with it or is it because you own a hagwon and you dont want to lose business?

Why? Because if a few teachers get caught (and I personally know of three) we are all tarred with the same brush. Look at all the clubs (to cite one example) that state "No foreigners allowed." Unfair but that is what happens. Also you are taking business away from hakwons (which in itself is not a bad thing) but you are also taking away potential jobs from other foreigners. Finally ethically speaking yes. Teachers as it is, have a bad enough reputation already. I don't know about anyone else here, but I take my job seriously. This means I dislike being dumped into the category of "drunken skirt-chasing, private teaching foreigner."

Sure you have a right to say "I think teaching privates are fine."
But I have an equal right to say "No they are not."
I find it very interesting that a few certain people want people like myself to keep quiet when it comes to privates. I guess they believe in free speech only if "free speech" means agreeing with their views.
JackSarang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holyjoe wrote:
Quote:
I seriously doubt they have the resources to troll a crappy internet message board.

Quote:

Without wanting to be facetious, the only resource they need is a computer and I'm sure there are plenty of them at Immigration Wink

Except that would require the muppets at immigration to be able to read a modicum of english.
hadeshorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Well it seems.. Reply with quote

First things first, I should appologise for not referencing who I was talking about before to save confusion.

Urban, I understand you take your teaching responsibilities seriously here and kudos for doing it.

But you said in your opinion that all privates should be stopped. Which is enforcing your opinion on to all of us.

If you dont want to do privates then kudos again for being of strong moral character. But if we would like to do it. Then we can do it without any moral crusade from someone else.

I also love how when someone gets challenged and people respond back negatively to someones comment they pull the "Im just using my right to free speech" card.

Another thing, you are making the assumption that all people that teach privates are drunken skirt chasers. The thing is that the majority of teachers here are Female! Another thing on top of that is that the majority of privates being taught are by females. Because koreans are preferring females.

Another thing in itself privates also help a lot better then a Hagwon can. I know a lot of privates that occur (Not with me as I dont teach privates) happen to benefit the people being taught. These people are giving up their spare time so the can help little Johnny get into a good university, or help little mary get into a college overseas, or help Mr Won get that new promotion.

The best one I saw was that a guy here got private tutoring that allowed him to get into a University in Australia (My university) He is now doing his Masters which excludes him from Military service when he gets back home and instead he gets to do something else.

Hagwons cannot cater for these type of situations because they would shunt all these kids in the one class and they wouldnt be able to get the kind of individual attention they need. Unless they can find a hagwon that will sacrifice their Lexus payments to enable little steve to have a better future.

Now the aim of this post was not to shove this down your throat but show a bi-partisan side to this story on how privates are not the be all and end all of the corruption of ESL teachers ethics.

Hadeshorn of Love
Mankind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanMyth
I know that when I teach the GFC staff, I don't wear a shirt or put much effort into it. All us people who do privates are real losers. No offence but do you think many people in Korea have the skills or qualifications to teach them? Do you? Do you think the Admiral and all the Majors and Generals are going to go off to a yogwan for lessons? Ditto for the diplomats and the spooks (Korean CIA guys) I've dealt with. A lot of the employers, of good private teachers in this counrty, are the government themselves. If the government and military are hiring private teachers, what does that tell you? AHHH I've got it. You're a better supporter of Korea than them Rolling Eyes

HAND Smile
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man
who careeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackSarang wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Except that would require the muppets at immigration to be able to read a modicum of english.

I too agree, I MEAN come on.. we have all been to immigration. we all know that cant speak ENGLISH!! maybe one or two people there can downstairs and thats just passable.. the people upstairs cant do shit!
if they have hired some koreans who can speak and understand English just to monitor ESL boards and try to catch foreigners teaching illegal..
WHAT EVER!!! lets see.. ok they put up a post.. 5 teachers call...
so what happens do they arrest 5 teachers who just turn up for interviews? the immigration workers are going to have to have a house or school to work from,, then how many officers will be there.. just to catch WHAT? who are they catching??
cant arrest someone for just asking questions...
seems bogus.. I think they are looking for the big money..the camps will be hit.. because they know the boss of those camps is going to make millions of WON.. and they will find a way to get some of it.. hit 5 camps in a month.. make yourself 100 million in pay offs.. not a bad summer..
THIS WORLD IS CORRUPT.. and us little fish get eaten everyday!
tmcurro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holyjoe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Only problem is that nobody at Immigration understands English....
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that immigration does speak English. In six years everytime I have been there, fully fluent speakers.
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I too agree, I MEAN come on.. we have all been to immigration. we all know that cant speak ENGLISH!! maybe one or two people there can downstairs and thats just passable.. the people upstairs cant do *beep*!

See, here's the thing... you don't know and you're generalising.
I have to agree with kimcheeking, in my experience there are a fair few people at immigration who can speak fluent English. Just because the employee you dealt with at the reception desk didn't speak English doesn't mean the whole lot of them don't - indeed, it would be a pretty useless immigration office (no comments...) if there were no-one who could communicate in the "global" language that is English, don't you think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: