Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Immigration Trolls on english spectrum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Well it seems.. Reply with quote

hadeshorn wrote:
s Another thing, you are making the assumption that all people that teach privates are drunken skirt chasers. The thing is that the majority of teachers here are Female! Another thing on top of that is that the majority of privates being taught are by females. Because koreans are preferring females.

Another thing in itself privates also help a lot better then a Hagwon can. I know a lot of privates that occur (Not with me as I dont teach privates) happen to benefit the people being taught. These people are giving up their spare time so the can help little Johnny get into a good university, or help little mary get into a college overseas, or help Mr Won get that new promotion.

The best one I saw was that a guy here got private tutoring that allowed him to get into a University in Australia (My university) He is now doing his Masters which excludes him from Military service when he gets back home and instead he gets to do something else.

Hagwons cannot cater for these type of situations because they would shunt all these kids in the one class and they wouldnt be able to get the kind of individual attention they need. Unless they can find a hagwon that will sacrifice their Lexus payments to enable little steve to have a better future.

Now the aim of this post was not to shove this down your throat but show a bi-partisan side to this story on how privates are not the be all and end all of the corruption of ESL teachers ethics.

Hadeshorn of Love

Actually most ESL teachers here are male, not female. Koreans prefer females because they can't get enough of them over here. If you doubt me, do a poll. This cafe should provide a fair cross-section, don't you think?

Granted privates do a better job of teaching English one-on-one then working one to twenty at a hakwon. But the reason people go for privates is not to teach English, it is to make money. You say" these people are giving up their spare time so they can help little Johnny get into a good university..." They are not doing it for any other reason than they can get more money doing privates than working at a hakwon. Let's call a spade a spade here. No-one would do privates if they got paid the same as a hakwon because why risk being deported for that low a wage?

Again. I said that if you want to argue that privates are fine, that is okay. You have a right to free speech as much as I do, which I pointed out in my last post. But no-one has a right to break the laws of the country they are living in. They choose to come here, they should abide by the laws it is governed by. They don't have to agree with it, but they should abide by it. We complain when the boss breaks our contract, but we are justified in breaking our contract to teach privates? This last point is what I don't understand. If you could explain it I would be happy to hear it.

But please don't tell me that people are doing privates for ANY other reason than the money. If their clients stopped paying, they would stop teaching. End of story. Whereas if their motivation was to get little Johnny into university they would do it for free.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mankind wrote:
UrbanMyth
I Ditto for the diplomats and the spooks (Korean CIA guys) I've dealt with. )

So you teach government officials and CIA guys? Sure you do Mankind, sure you do. Rolling Eyes
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually most ESL teachers here are male, not female. Koreans prefer females because they can't get enough of them over here. If you doubt me, do a poll. This cafe should provide a fair cross-section, don't you think?

Yeah, I seem to remember either my director or recruiter saying that the recruiting fee for a female teacher is higher than for a male, because of the whole factor of directors seemingly preferring a female.
Seems like us guys are the cheap option, eh? Crying or Very sad
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These people are giving up their spare time so the can help little Johnny get into a good university, or help little mary get into a college overseas, or help Mr Won get that new promotion.

Ah, so that's what it's all about... providing a public service to improve the overall harmony and well-being of Koreans in general. Well that's nice to know.

And I thought it was all about folk making extra money... Rolling Eyes
Len8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean laws are made to be broken anyway. It's part of their culture. You can do what the hell you want here so long as you don't get caught. If koreans could read what we are writing about on this thread i.e our highminded sanctity concerning obeying Korean laws and doing what good little Johnny does, they'd split themselves with laughter.

Why is teaching privates such a frigging big issue. If people doing privates were caught then they didn't watch their backs. Talk about the law being broken. Look at the Mrs Keys programe. It's a home school teaching programe, and it's big. Real big in fact. They can't give their foreign teachers an E2 visa because it's not hogwan based. They bring over foreign teachers, work them on tourist visas for 3 months, and then give them enough money to go to Japan to renew their tourist visas. How come such a big outfit has been able to do this? Big buisnesses here openly flout the law, and get away with it, and we peons are making a big holy crusade about doing privates. Sheesh!
Mankind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban
Quote:
So you teach government officials and CIA guys? Sure you do Mankind, sure you do.

Where do you think they learn English from? God, it is amazing how little some of you know about, how to live in this country.

Quote:
If koreans could read what we are writing about on this thread...they'd split themselves with laughter.

Exactly. They laugh at people like Urban and don't understand him. He'll talk about how, good he is for Korea and how bad people like me are. The difference, is that I've adapted to being here, and he lives in a little bubble of self-righteousness.

Urban, you keep kissing your hogwan owners but for your $15 an hour, believing that you're high moral code makes you special and that only children and university students study English. Me, I'll keep my $50 an hour and my non-child, non-Uni students. I'll enjoy my Yangsan base pass, Tacobell, Dragon Hill lodge, and my connections with people in just about every major government office in this country.

Korean's don't respect you Urban and all the hogwan work in the world won't change that (hogwan teachers are seen as a joke here). Get some qualifications and experience and spend 3-4 years teaching in a University, that'll help. Do the work that best supports you and your wife. That they'll respect. But tell you what, you keep living on your high horse, and Korea and I will just keep laughing at you, all the way to the bank.

HAND Smile
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mankind wrote:
Urban
Quote:
So you teach government officials and CIA guys? Sure you do Mankind, sure you do.

Where do you think they learn English from? God, it is amazing how little some of you know about, how to live in this country.

They learn English from qualified teachers, not some hakwon teacher who makes up wild fantasies about how he has government connections. Anybody can come on this board and claim that.
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Immigration site in English Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mankind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They learn English from qualified teachers, not some hakwon teacher

Exactly. Thats why you don't teach them and I do. How long have you taught Urban? What are your qualifications? How long have you been in Korea? Ever, not taught in a hogwan?

Me (got nothing to hide, so here it is and yes I know are even people who look a lot better than me on paper)
1. In my 8th year
2. 2 B.A.'s, Tesol, MBA in progess. Plus my old job, fully licenced finacial planner, gives me the skills to teach professionals.
3. 7th year
4. 1 1/2 in hogwan than the rest in Uni's and working for people who know how to tie their own shoes.

Quote:
who makes up wild fantasies about how he has government connections. Anybody can come on this board and claim that.

Yes anyone can, but for some of us its true. Man you have a bad case of the big green evil. Get over it. As much as it hurts, some of us here have done well for ourselves.

I think the only Myth around here, involves your overly high evaluation of yourself. If you were as good as you think, you wouldn't have to spend so much time trying to knock those of us that have succeeded.

HAND Smile
JackSarang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea whether or not Mankind is telling the truth.

But in fairness, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs advertises on Dave's for english teachers. This job is perfecting the english of diplomats and likely, spies. And their requirements aren't very stringent either.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Mankind wrote:
UrbanMyth
I Ditto for the diplomats and the spooks (Korean CIA guys) I've dealt with. )

So you teach government officials and CIA guys? Sure you do Mankind, sure you do. Rolling Eyes

Doesn't sound far-fetched to me- somebody's gotta do it, why not someone who also happens to post to this forum? I taught ROK navy & marine officers English for a while, and was breaking immigration and labour laws while doing it. I wonder which of the govt. agencies would have had the most pull if immigration had ever found out?

I neither condone nor condemn teaching privates- you know the risks, you take the chances, you live with the consequences. To each his (her) own.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mankind wrote:
Quote:
They learn English from qualified teachers, not some hakwon teacher

Exactly. Thats why you don't teach them and I do. How long have you taught Urban? What are your qualifications? How long have you been in Korea? Ever, not taught in a hogwan?

Yes anyone can, but for some of us its true. Man you have a bad case of the big green evil. Get over it. As much as it hurts, some of us here have done well for ourselves.

I think the only Myth around here, involves your overly high evaluation of yourself. If you were as good as you think, you wouldn't have to spend so much time trying to knock those of us that have succeeded.

HAND Smile

How long have I taught? Three years in the West and three years (almost) in Korea. Qualifications? A Master's in 20th century history
I am entering my third year at this hakwon. (And the correct romanization is hakwon not hogwan)

No big green evil here. I find it far-fetched that these people would be telling their teacher that they are spies, unless of course they are wannabes. Serious spies would not tell ANYONE.

Overly high evaluation? I work hard. If you think that's an overly high evaluation that says more about yourself than it does me. Success comes in different forms. For some people it's all about the almighty dollar. For others it's job satisfaction. Yes some people can teach at a hakwon and like it. Just because you can't doesn't mean that others can't. It's called being able to control a classroom. And yes, you can make money at a hakwon. One way is getting your employer to agree to work at a second location for a company (which is what I do).
The difference between you and me though, is that I do what I do legally. That is the problem, not envy (as much as you would like to believe that).
But hey it's your neck if you get caught.
Have a nice day now
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I want to step into this pissing match and get my feet all wet, but I had to ask

Quote:
And the correct romanization is hakwon not hogwan

Are you basing that on this, or just pulling it outta yer bum? Laughing
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTM wrote:
Not that I want to step into this pissing match and get my feet all wet, but I had to ask

Quote:
And the correct romanization is hakwon not hogwan

Are you basing that on this, or just pulling it outta yer bum? Laughing

That's what I was told by the Korean English teachers at my school. Then again they are only native speakers so they could be wrong Very Happy
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you could be wrong, as Korean native speakers frequently tend to frequently disagree about romanization.

Maybe you didn't know, but a new system of romanization started just three years ago, the Ministry of Education system, which replaced the McCune-Reischauer system. By the MoL system of romanization, I believe it would be "hagwon". Under M-R it was "hakwon", but with an accent mark that can't be reproduced on this board over the "o".

Native speakers still frequently use whatever system looks and sounds best to them personally, so there will be disagreements. Further, the average Korean probably never paid that much attention to romanization schemes in the first place, so there is no particular reason to count on the average Korean to know what's best here.

For reasons that would be obvious to anyone who has actually worked for a Korean private institute owner, I still prefer the romanization "hogwon" over either of the officially recognized spellings. It feels appropriate for reasons that go beyond phonetics.

But I would never tell anyone they were wrong for the spelling they chose using the roman alphabet, because it is obvious that the only one that is actually correct is �п�, and anything else is just a transliteration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: