Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EG schools? New school..good idea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkillSkillette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: EG schools? New school..good idea? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about EG schools? They have schools all over aparently so I was curious if anyone has any feedback about them. Also, when going to a brand new school (in Ulsan) what extra things should one 'need to know' and what other precautions should one take?
sakamuras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: EG schools? New school..good idea? Reply with quote

EG? Does that stand for "Easy"?

SkillSkillette wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about EG schools? They have schools all over aparently so I was curious if anyone has any feedback about them. Also, when going to a brand new school (in Ulsan) what extra things should one 'need to know' and what other precautions should one take?
CanKorea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied to one and got a prompt response from one of their human resources people. I replied with inquiries. Then I heard absolutely nothing.

What I do know is that the hours are 1-9, she said no split shifts and shared housing. Classes are 45 min long with 5 min breaks in between.

Hope this helps. Cheers
Derrek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: EG Reply with quote

I know a little about EG -- not enough to base a solidly negative opinion on, but what I do know doesn't thrill me.

I interviewed at an EG school (the one in Kangnam) 1 1/2 years ago. The school was owned and operated by a guy named Mr. Jung. Anyway, I set up an interview through a lady working with him. I happened to be in Korea on my own at the time (on vacation) and found the place without much difficulty. The strange thing was that when I got there, Mr. Jung acted very suspicious of me. Downright paranoid, in fact. It was obvious he is one of those very authoritarian-type Korean men who I WOULD NOT want to work for.

Anyway, to make a long story a little less long, the director took a break and told me to come back in 30 minutes. I did, and returned only to be told by an office worker that he would not allow me to see the rest of the school. I asked why, and the office worker told me, "He thinks you are a spy from another Hagwon." As she was telling me this, I could see Mr. Jung pacing nervously down the hall, and peeking over in our direction several times. I left shortly thereafter, however I took my time speaking to this very pretty office worker, who was happy to get the chance to practice her English on me. Mr. Jung appeared quite uneasy as he spied us from across the hallway.

I didn't like the feel of the place anyway.

On another note, a former coworker from another school decided to interview with EG. She was offered a job, and accepted, however they couldn't come to agreement on some contract issues, so she went elsewhere. According to her, what she was told in the interview and what was actually in the contract were two different things.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: