Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea and One-Way Tickets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackSarang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Korea and One-Way Tickets Reply with quote

In another thread, myself and some others stated that one could enter on a one-way ticket no problem. This used to be the case.

However, after doing some checking, it is no longer possible, as a foreigner, to enter Korea on a one-way ticket unless you already have an E-2 Visa (or some other Visa).

To enter Korea on a tourist Visa you need a return ticket.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That being said, I entered Korea a few months ago with a one-way ticket.

I think that sometimes they'll ask to see a return ticket at the airport, but quite often they don't bother. I realize that the law states you need to have a return ticket but in reality it's quite easy to get into Korea without one. Plus, you can always just say you booked a return ticket on line an you have an 'e-ticket'.....and no paper copy. Or you can buy a ticket to some other destination and return it for refund once you arrive in Korea.
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immigration have that God- like power to completely*beep* up your life, arrangements and plans at the stroke of a ball point pen. Don't give those ego driven petty officials any reason to do so..especially on entering Korea. they can be tricky!!!
Squid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returned to Korea on the 13th last month with no outbound travel arrangements- Immigration desk was business as usual- 3 month stamp for "Travel".

Ergo, the application of immigration regulations here is quite arbitrary n'est pas?

Yours Squidly
Wombat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once, I entered Korea from China on a one-way ticket. I thought it was odd that they let me pass through immigration without so much as a raised eyebrow. Then I remembered that somewhere in the depths of my suitcase was an ongoing booking to leave Korea for Australia. They must have had that departure date in their computers.

So - it's easy enough on holidays to use one-ways to get back, but on your first go, it's not such a good idea (maybe).

Wombat
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come into Korea at least 8 times with on a one-way ticket with no visa.
JackSarang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past few months?

Yeah, Korean Immigration isn't exactly consistent, but its currently policy to disallow foreigners entering on One-Way tickets with a tourist Visa.

This information comes from the Korean Consulate of Toronto and several travel-agents.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly related note, I never officially got a multiple entry stamp in my passport, and the airport immigration said that I wouldn't have problems coming and going with just my E-2.

Thailand was nice, and it's also nice to be back in Korea after my vacation, without having to shell out some 50,000. Interesting...
JackSarang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
On a slightly related note, I never officially got a multiple entry stamp in my passport, and the airport immigration said that I wouldn't have problems coming and going with just my E-2.

Thailand was nice, and it's also nice to be back in Korea after my vacation, without having to shell out some 50,000. Interesting...

They didn't say anything to you or ask your anything at the airport? Coming or going? Or you didn't get an extra stamp in your passport when you returned?

Korean Immigration is bizarre... your E-2 is supposed to be cancelled if you exit/enter without the permit. *shrug*
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
I've come into Korea at least 8 times with on a one-way ticket with no visa.

Same here. They've never once asked me.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackSarang wrote:
Korean Immigration is bizarre... your E-2 is supposed to be cancelled if you exit/enter without the permit. *shrug*

I've had this experience as well. Twice. Last year at this time I worked at a summer camp and was given a 1-year work visa though technically the job was only for 1-month. I came back later to look for a one-year contract.. and I thought I had to do a visa run.. but went to immigration with my new employer and they said I was still on the same visa.. anyhow, its happened twice now where my visa was cancelled.. apparently the employer has to make a point of cancelling it. So you just don't know if its cancelled or not and kind of run a risk of assuming it won't be cancelled. Its also hard to check up on Wink calling immigration to see if its still good or not is kind of strange in itself.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackSarang wrote:
They didn't say anything to you or ask your anything at the airport? Coming or going? Or you didn't get an extra stamp in your passport when you returned?

Yea, I know, so I was fully expecting some hassle and even warned my travelling companion that I'd probably have some huge ordeal to face at immigration, because I didn't specifically get a multiple-entry stamp.

Nobody said a thing to me, the Airport Immigration guy thought I was stupid for requesting a Single Entry Permit when he saw my visa, and the only stamps I got were the entry/exit stamps that everyone gets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: