Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is a reasonable salary?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the Giant, I opted for a lower-paying job with better all-around conditions. Hell, they didn't even pay my way over here! But I took the job because I figured I knew what to expect by teaching there, I was friends with the hirer, so on.

The job did turn a bit sour, but I'll definitely complete my contract. I've been noticing that working at a middle school gives you slightly more respect. I still get all high and mighty when I remember the immigration lady at the airport being all shocked that I work at a bonafide middle school. ?!?!?!?
uber1024

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a real cert (not some 4 week TEFL thing) is a valued commodity.

What, exactly does this mean? Are you referring to being certified to teach something in your home country?

Just asking. Thanks.
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
a real cert (not some 4 week TEFL thing) is a valued commodity.

What, exactly does this mean? Are you referring to being certified to teach something in your home country?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Not that I mean to put down those who've done a short TEFL/CELTA certification, or something along those lines. It's a lot more than most people have, I think, and a decent one is surely a worthwhile thing to have, if you're at all serious about doing a good job as a teacher.

But my teacher cert involved almost 2 years of continual, post-grad level study, including a three-month observed practicum (practice teaching). I describe it not to pat myself on the back, but to justify getting a bit heated when someone tells me my training is valueless....
CanKorea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your training is not valueless because if it is, then so is mine!

I completed 2 practicums during my cert and boy am I glad it's over.

I would be interested in looking into those TEFL certification programs though.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbliee wrote:
I'm not toatlly sure what the normal salary is and how much it can be moved. I just signed a contract and will be in Seoul at the end of this month. I was originally only offered 1.9 million won. I negotiated with the director, told him about my qualifications in a little more detail and he raised my salary. I signed for 2.2 millioni won per month. So yes it is possible to negotiate. GOOD LUCK!

I have generally found that salary is fairly non-negotiable. It is already pre-structured depending upon certain fixed and immutable criteria. You did not so much as negotiate as show him that you actually had better credentials than he thought and thus belonged on a higher rung. In essence you repaired a flaw in your original resume and presentation.
thegadfly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where you go whether the salary is negotiable...the chain schools generally have either lower standards for hiring, lower standards for student enrollment, or both. At such places, showing that you are a more experienced, trained, certified teacher will have a minor impact on your salary. The primary concern of most of the chain schools is the bottom line -- are enough students enrolling/re-enrolling in the classes. A lot of times, the quality of education, if indeed ANY education is occuring, is far down the list of priorities...and I have been told several times by honest owners of a franchise school (not an oxymoron, really) that they do NOT want certified/professional teachers because such a teacher might not comply with the goals and expectations of the business owner....

However, smaller chains or independent schools schools have to compete by word of mouth -- what they lack in advertising, they often try to make up in reputation. As such, it is possible to find some small-ish schools that pay significantly more than "average" salary, are willing to negotiate for more qualified/experienced/certified teachers, and will even sweeten the pot beyond the normal contract if they really want you. In addition, the standards for these students tend to be higher -- nothing like a waiting list to get in to make even MORE people want to get in....

Trouble is, the smaller schools to which I refer do not usually even need to advertise open positions, or when they do, they are swamped with applications. I worked as a foreign director of one such school TWO YEARS AGO and am still receiving e-mail inquiries from a single position advertisement which bore my work e-mail address. It has happened so often that I have a draft letter saved to inform these people I am not the director any longer, and that they should forward their information etc etc et al ad naseum....

If you have time to look, your experience and qualifications can give you a definite advantage...but finding the schools that could give you what you ask for is a little tougher....
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reasonable salary is the one you get on payday Laughing as per contract.
Sho99gun99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we start an update to this...i think expectation are a little higher
bassexpander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hours are important. Salary isn't. Take a fair-paying job that leaves you lots of time for privates.
sjane1234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reasonable salary? Reply with quote

I am hoping to go to South Korea this year to teach English and i'm wondering what is a reasonable salary to accept (for 2009)?

The reason I say this is because the posts on this subject date back to 2003.

I am hoping to save at least 970,000 (�500) won per month. I have a Degree in English and a Masters in Journalism with a CELTA course.

A figure on how much I should be earning per month would be great and any additional advice would be great.
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! From the earlier posts, Korea looks like it was the best place to go and save money. Is this still true even though the Won's value has decreased a lot?!
What is a well paying job now? They don't seem to offer any more than before....
Shocked
Thanks!!
sjane1234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good question - if anyone can answer it would be much appreciated. How has Korea been affected by the world recession? has it affected wages etc for teachers over there?
guerillera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about if you teach test prep... like TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, GRE?
niftyness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpp
wallythewhale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guerillera wrote:
What about if you teach test prep... like TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, GRE?

I don't think those really matter unless you're working strictly with tutoring students in need of SAT prep, etc.

Not sure if this relates to what you're saying, but here's one of my dilemmas.

I graduated with a TESOL Cert. (minor, 18 credit hours = 250 + hours). I told them that it was 18 credit hours (6 semesters) of classes that I had to take and they still questioned the authenticity of my certificate (they only required 100 hours of TESOL classes/practicums and was confused about my 18 credit hours compared to their required 100 hours). I'm still playing the waiting game on this matter and I hope that they know what they are talking about because if they don't count my TESOL cert. with 250+ hours of classes, then I'll be stumped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: