Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beetle boat visa run to Japan...info needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastfreddie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Beetle boat visa run to Japan...info needed Reply with quote

Well, it's that time of the year. I need to go to Kyushu for my new visa. I've decided to take the beetle boat from Busan. I have a couple of questions about visa process.

1) Does anyone know how long the visa issuance procedure will take? 24 hours? a few days? a week?
2) Any suggestions for reasonable hotels in Phukuoka ( that city in Kyushu that gets bleeped out on this board)?
3) Info on transporation from the port to Korean consulate/ hotel?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Merci !
Singer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: getting your visa in Japan Reply with quote

This may not be much help to you, but I would suggest going to Osaka...It only takes a few hours to get your visa and you can return to Korea the same day you left.

As for the city that gets beeped out, it will take between one and two days to get your visa depending on what time you submit your paperwork.

Good luck...if you decide to go to Osaka, let me know, and I'll give you detailed instructions.

[email protected]
Anda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

I go to the f place for my visa runs. For the f place maps showing the consulate ferry terminal etc can be found on the Net. Just hit the city name and add map. It should be the same for the other place. Check out PusanWeb at they have apermanent site on the F place run but I don't know on the other city.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: errr. . . Reply with quote

ok, i last did that run, ummm - 4 or 5 years ago.

In Busan, the Beetle ferry terminal is NOT at the passenger ferry terminal!!! Make sure you get to the right departure place, or you will really 'miss the boat!' Laughing

The Beetle ride itself was pretty cool. The sell drinks, and also GREAT bento-box lunches. Be sure to reserve/get one - on my return trip, Koreans bought them ALL, to give as gifts to others (saw 1 guy leave with 7 or 8, and I had no lunchee!) Crying or Very sad

Let's see. They did the visa within 24 hours IF you could get it to them before/immediately after lunch.

The office used to be closed on Saturdays (do not know now), so it would be a mid-week run.

I was put into a men's pension hotel - for 1 night, it was fine. There was a tiny room, a funny little upright bathtub, 2 robes, and slippers. In the morning, all the guys go downstairs in their robes to eat breakfast (free) and read papers/magazines. sounds gay, but it was fine, really.

Taxi from the dock to the consulate is/was prohibitively expensive. I THINK there is a way to go by train/bus/etc - I am not sure about this (I suggest posting this same message at LP's NE Asia board ASAFP). ***There SHOULD be tourist info at the F. terminal. If you HAVE to get a taxi, get one to the CLOSEST subway or train station, and find out how much it SHOULD cost from someone at tourist info first).

For transpo IN F.kuoka, there is a pretty-easy-to-handle subway.

Also, I do not know about nightlife (no cash!), but I did have a lot of fun over at the Skyhawks Skydome, close to the consulate. While walking around, I was 'mistaken' for someone famous. Despite protests, I met some players, I had to go out to the field (!), pose with a bat, and sign autographs/take pictures with some tourists.

To this day, I still have NO idea who I 'was,' but it remains one of my funniest memories in Asia.

It is a prety, clean, modern little city - i hope they just don't ship you in & out in a day.

DO take yen with you (or US dollars) - korean won is worthless!!!

Good luck, and check w/ LP - people in Japan can/will help with this one.

Regards,

G.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the same thing. Here's what I copied, pasted, and slapped in e-mail. I don't know if it's up-to-date, but I got the same info from two sites, and one was updated in 2002(not too bad, I suppose).
-----
http://www.julice.co.kr/sub/japan.htm
http://www.gakorea.net/html/visa2.html

2. Fukuoka Korean Embassy

Fukuoka1-1-3 Chuo-Ku Fukuokas Jigyohama
Post code 810-0065
Phone number : 81 92 771-0461/3
email : fu[email protected]
Office Hours : 9:00-12:00 1: 30-17:00 (Monday to Friday) No Saturdays.
Time difference with Korea : 0
Cost : about 500,000 won (airplane ticket, hotel, meal, paying the visa..)
Documents : Visa letter and one picture.

The minimum time for getting a e-2 visa is two days.
You hand it in on the first working day before 3Pm with all your documents and pick it up the next day after 10Am.

GETTING TO THE KOREAN CONSULATE

1) From the Airport

Get on the subway; take it to the brown vase stop- Tojin Machi (9th stop from the airport) it's right after Ohori Koen ( a park ).
From Tojin Machi, leave by the first exit (1) it says Korean Consulate on it. Walk towards the a traffic light after walking straight out of the exit. There turn right and go straight for about 10 minutes (?). You have to cross over to the other side of the street. The consulate has a Korean style roof and a Korean Flag. You are really close to the Fukuoka Dome. If you are not sure most of the buildings in the area have maps.

2) From the Ferry

Take a bus to Tenjin ( the 80 and 84 probably) but it should say Tenjin. then change buses, and take a bus to the Fukuoka dome.
-----
I'll have to check the hotel thing. I had a local recommend one to me, only $50 a night. I've got the business card, but it's put up at the moment. Gotta dig it out.

When you going? I'll be going around the 20th, it looks.

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/beetle/english/index.html

This has a lot of info, and in English, but the prices are outrageous, because they're based from Japan. Better to book in Korea, you'll cut the price down by half.

-----
Another bit of info:
-----
Here are the details of high-speed hydrofoil service between Busan and Hakada, Fukuoka;

Busan ->Fukuoka
Daily(4times) 8:30a.m. 12:00 2:00p.m. 3:30p.m.

Fukuoka ->Busan
Daily(4times) 8:30a.m. 10:15a.m. 12:00 3:30p.m.

Time required: 3hours
Tickets: 85,000 Won(One way) / 170,000 Won (Round trip)
Inquiries: Korea Marine Express
Tel:+82-2-730-8666(Seoul) +82-51-465-6111(Busan)

Find information about Korea-Japan Through-ticket at http://www.korail.go.kr/eng/train/index_train8.html
Visit the Website of http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/beetle/english/index.html
for more specific information on Beetle
-----
If the phone number has English speakers on the other end or not, I wouldn't know! You can ask a Korean acquaintance to help, though.
fastfreddie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much! Great info..anyone else...don't hesitate.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Zyzyfer's advice on the F City run using the Beetle, as I did it in November.

An extra bit of advice, exchange your Won to Yen in Korea first, as it's hella difficult to find a place that'll do it on the other side. And make sure you bring enough, in case of emergencies. I made the mistake of not exchanging enough, beforehand, and I had to roam all over town, one evening, to find a currency exchange. I ended up having to go to F City Airport to exchange and their desk is only open till 9pm, I believe. International ATMs that'll accept your transaction in F City are also very hit/miss (mostly miss, in my experience), if you need to pull money out. Which only leaves credit cards, if you have them.

P.S. God bless this board and their moral responsibility with the *beeps* to ensure that we can't spell F-u-k-u-o-k-a or F City, the way it should be. Now I have to go repent for wanting to spell a Japanese city correctly.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I went, I had to exchange Korean won as well. I think my Japanese friend guided me to the post office in (?)Tenjin. It's another possibility. But you really should exchange beforehand, as mentioned numerous times.
U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get to F-u0kok-a, the url below should help:

http://www.theulsanweb.com/howto/fukouka.html

Laughing

The *beep* is f-u-k-o-u-k-a without the dashes

Last edited by U.S.A. on Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer,

Thanks for the help on that.

U.S.A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: