Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread! Reply with quote

There are quite a few people who want a motorcycle sticky. These people are usually those with a few years (both in /korea and on motorcycles) under their belts. They want to help the newbies and stop the insane repetition of questions.

I propose we post all motorcycle-related topics in here (bump often!) so that this thread will always at least be on the first or second page. If it dies - than perhaps a sticky wasn't meant to be.

So - I open the floor. Anyone with questions about how to buy/ride/register/licence/decorate/etc. your motorcycle or scooter please post here! If noone else replies - I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

ALSO - for those that ride - post a quick note! Maybe we can all get together and go on a bike trek.

My bit of content:

If you like to go touring on a motorbike - there are lots of places to go in Korea. The yangpyong area has the famous (for sport bikers) Umyeong-san (follow the hwy 6 to the 37 North). I also highly reccommend the area around Worak-san (Chung-ju). Does anyone else have any good suggestions for places to go on the bike?
BigBuds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got three bikes here, a 150, a 250, and a 650.

I can't go for long without having a bike and going for a good ride. I grew up on them and having been riding since I was 10. I use to race motocross but that seems like so long ago now.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my 600CC CBR -- but I really like the look of the HSRC Troy -- I find supermotos (even slow ones like this one!) quite appealing. If I came across one for a fair price, I think I would buy it.

Where do you go on your 650?
dogshed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with stickies is they tend to have lots of old messages.

Also, I've asked the same question a few times and still haven't got an answer.

-Jeff
Hawkeye2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic for me. I'm bike hunting right now and saw one that I think would be good. Problem is I don't know much about the bikes or riding here (I used to race 125 motocross in highschool. Does anybody remember Marty Smith or Bob Hannah?

Anyway, the bike I'm considering is a Daelim "Solution" 125. I want to use it to go check out the countryside and national parks in my area (Kyeongsangbuk do). I suppose I'll also need to use the heavier-travelled national roads at times. I also will be riding with a passenger a lot of the time.

Do you think this "Solution" is good and/or big enough? A 125 seems kind of small. The owner of the bike shop said it cruises at about 80 km/hr out on the road.

He wants 900,000kw for it.

I guess I'd be willing to spend up to 3 or 4 million if you knowledgeable guys think there is a better "solution."

Thanks again for the post.

Last edited by Hawkeye2 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye2 wrote:
Good topic for me. I'm bike hunting right now and saw one that I think would be good. Problem is I don't know much about the bikes or riding here (I used to race 125 motocross in highschool, back in Iowa in the late 70's) Does anybody remember Marty Smith or Bob Hannah?

Anyway, the bike I'm considering is a Daelim "Solution" 125. I want to use it to go check out the countryside and national parks in my area (Kyeongsangbuk do). I suppose I'll also need to use the heavier-travelled national roads at times. I also will be riding with a passenger a lot of the time.

Do you think this "Solution" is good and/or big enough? A 125 seems kind of small. The owner of the bike shop said it cruises at about 80 km/hr out on the road.

I guess I'd be willing to spend up to 3 or 4 million if you knowledgeable guys think there is a better "solution."

The 125 will be a bit weak for your purposes. That 80km/h is with a light Koeran rider. If you plan on tackling the often hilly Korean terrain with a passenger, a 250 is bare minimum.

In your price range, I'd consider a used Hyosung Mirage 250. Unfortunately, once you get into the 250cc and up class, you run into licensing issues.

To legally ride it you will have to get a motorcycle endorsement on your Korean driver's license. You will also need to purchase insurance.

How's your Korean? If you have a bit of language skills and are handy with a motorcycle, just go to a testing facility (one in Ansan, one in Yongin - but I don't know where there's one in Seoul), register, and take the test. You can always re-take it if you fail. if you need more information about this process, let me know.

If you have a bit of money and time, the simplest way to do all of that is to just go to a Korean motorcycle hagwon. It should take about 3 weeks if you go a couple times per week and cost about 250,000. The nice thing there is that you get to take the test on the motorcycle you're most comfortable on at the hagwon (and not some random piece of crap at the testing facility).
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean bikes are generally pretty decent buys. They aren't the highest quality nor the most refined, but they are pretty reliable if you maintain them properly and cheap to run, buy, and fix. If you buy a foreign bike here, your wallet is in a whole world of hurt.

Daelim is generally considered a bit more reliable than hyosung. Unfortunately they seem to be about a decade behind in terms of the actual bikes they offer, engine sizes, etc. So - 125cc and under, I would buy a daelim. Anything over 125 and it's only Hyosung.

Daelim has had ties to honda - and many of their motorcycles are based on japanese models. Hyosung has had some ties to suzuki in the past - making motorcycle components for them. Some of their designs are loosely based on suzuki designs.

I wouldn't worry too much about specific models quality-wise, they're all about the same. Just get one that's in your price range and meets your needs.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Daelim Delfino 100cc (engine melted), a Daelim Forte 125cc (stolen), a Daelim Magma 125cc (crashed), a Hyosung RX125cc (still got it), and now have a Hyosung Comet GT 250cc. I've only had one life-threatening accident. Wear a helmet.
Hawkeye2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
Hawkeye2 wrote:
Good topic for me. I'm bike hunting right now and saw one that I think would be good. Problem is I don't know much about the bikes or riding here (I used to race 125 motocross in highschool, back in Iowa in the late 70's) Does anybody remember Marty Smith or Bob Hannah?

The 125 will be a bit weak for your purposes. That 80km/h is with a light Koeran rider. If you plan on tackling the often hilly Korean terrain with a passenger, a 250 is bare minimum.

In your price range, I'd consider a used Hyosung Mirage 250. Unfortunately, once you get into the 250cc and up class, you run into licensing issues.

To legally ride it you will have to get a motorcycle endorsement on your Korean driver's license. You will also need to purchase insurance.

How's your Korean? If you have a bit of language skills and are handy with a motorcycle, just go to a testing facility (one in Ansan, one in Yongin - but I don't know where there's one in Seoul), register, and take the test. You can always re-take it if you fail. if you need more information about this process, let me know.

If you have a bit of money and time, the simplest way to do all of that is to just go to a Korean motorcycle hagwon. It should take about 3 weeks if you go a couple times per week and cost about 250,000. The nice thing there is that you get to take the test on the motorcycle you're most comfortable on at the hagwon (and not some random piece of crap at the testing facility).

250 Hyosung Mirage. Got it. Who knows? Maybe my teenage idol Roger DeCoster had some influence into the design.

Thanks also for insights into the legal requirements and how to meet them. Are you saying that 125 and under riders don't need a license? Anyway, I hope the motorcycle test isn't as hard as the driving test.

Picture this: I'm sitting in the car waiting for the tester to get in with me before I head out on the obstacle course. Some guy comes up, taps on the window and tells me to get going. I'm like, isn't anyone going to drive with me? He points at a light mounted on the dash. I didn't really understand but I took off and started around. Not halfway through, the guy comes running out and tells me that I've already failed. I guess I didn't go fast or slow enough or turned the wheel too far somewhere. Anyway, that day I got a lesson in Korean testing philosophy: Actual skills don't count for much. What matters is how well you can follow the test procedure or form.

The motorcycle hogwon sounds like a good way to do it. But, I'm a long way from Seoul down here in Pohang. I'll go down and ask the shop owner if there's one in town if it stops raining.

Last edited by Hawkeye2 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying that 125 and under riders don't need a license?

50cc and under don't need a licence. Up to 125cc you can use a regular licence. 125 and over you need a motorcycle endorsemement added to your licence.
Hawkeye2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
I now have a Hyosung Comet GT 250cc.

Do you like it? Do you know how it compares to the Mirage? Thanks for the info on the license.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye2 wrote:
Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
I now have a Hyosung Comet GT 250cc.

Do you like it? Do you know how it compares to the Mirage? Thanks for the info on the license.

My last bike was a Comet GT250. I loved it to bits. It's a great bike - but not the best if you want to take a passenger - which is why I reccomended the mirage. They share the same engine.
Metsuke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys... I'm looking at making a purchase myself. I'm looking at Hyosung 250cc...

Whats a fair price if I head down to one of the Korean bike dealers?
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking at passo.co.kr - I see that 250cc comets and mirages start at about 1.6 million for a 2001/2002.
Hawkeye2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metsuke wrote:
Hi guys... I'm looking at making a purchase myself. I'm looking at Hyosung 250cc...

Whats a fair price if I head down to one of the Korean bike dealers?

I just got back from the shop. A new 2007 model Hyosung 250 Mirage was listed at 3.9 million kw. He was asking for 2 million for a used one. Not sure about the year. Nice looking bike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 1 of 181

Jump to: