Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugo85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone knows a decently priced motorcycle mechanic that isn't a sleazeball and does a good job? English would be good, but that would go after the rest.
v88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Mechanic in Korea.

http://themechanickorea.com/
v88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Kawasaki Ninja 300R

Looks good, 40HP...much more road friendly than the 31hp on the 250. Fuel injection, slipper clutch, ABS and many engine and component upgrades.

Hope it arrives here.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/14371/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Kawasaki-Ninja-300-First-Ride.aspx
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nice little bike, but doubt you'll see many here. If so, expect a high mark-up price, as usual.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I haven't seen much markup on new bikes here lately. Looked at Ducati Monster, CBR600RR, and BMW F800R and the prices in Korea are comparable to the after-tax prices in Canada. (Though we do have higher prices than our neighbours to the south.)
v88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on what bike you're looking at.

The Suzuki Gladius is more than 13 mil here but only 8 grand in Canada. About a grand in tax tends to leave you a lot of room for other fees.

Honda CBR250 6 mil in Korea and 4.5 grand in Canada. A lot closer in comparison here.

Unfortunately I think the Kawasaki will be too pricey to be worth it here. They always have been in the past. But some ER-6's have been well priced at some local shops....ya never know.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what are some nice half-day motorcycle rides outside Seoul (mountain twisties, seaside drives, etc) that are legal for motorbikes. I want to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and haven't been riding outside Seoul yet...
Hugo85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
I was wondering what are some nice half-day motorcycle rides outside Seoul (mountain twisties, seaside drives, etc) that are legal for motorbikes. I want to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and haven't been riding outside Seoul yet...

I went to Chuncheon and then to soyangkang dam. Beautiful ride and the dam is a nice sight. Its a 80kmh road (*cough* 120-150 *cough) most of the way between mountains and near the river, about 2-3 hours both directions.

Otherwise, sometimes I drive to ansan station for asian food.
joesp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trading in my 2008 Hyosung Comet for 1.6 million and buying a brand new 2013 Hyosung Mirage 250 today for 4.3 mil

I just decided to pay the price for the new 250 Mirage from passo.co.kr and let the nice mechanic next to my house receive and sell me the bike. I imagine I'll be spending some more money at the 구청 to get rid of the old plates on the Comet, transfer the insurance, register the Mirage, pay taxes, etc.

I really couldn't find a slightly used Mirage anywhere. I looked for over a month but the people that had one had already sold them.

I don't think I'm getting a good deal on anything, just paying the price of changing bikes and finally getting the satisfaction of just getting this shit done.

On the other hand, I bought the Comet in May 2011 for 2.3 million on motorcycle alley. It has been a good motorcycle to me. I put about 15,000 km on it so that it now has 23,000 km of mileage. But like I said, I couldn't for the life of me find a slightly used Mirage.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any major problems with the Comet? or anyone else?

I ask because I recently bought a 2004 Hyosung Comet 650 with 19,000KM, its been okay so far, only issues were my regulator burnt out and I blew up my air cleaner box (the seller told me both parts needed to be replaced soon, though, so it was expected)

My last Hyosung (a 125cc Troy) had a blown engine at under 2K and she was treated well, so A little paranoid on Hyo bikes...
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
Did you have any major problems with the Comet? or anyone else?

I ask because I recently bought a 2004 Hyosung Comet 650 with 19,000KM, its been okay so far, only issues were my regulator burnt out and I blew up my air cleaner box (the seller told me both parts needed to be replaced soon, though, so it was expected)

My last Hyosung (a 125cc Troy) had a blown engine at under 2K and she was treated well, so A little paranoid on Hyo bikes...

I purchased a 2003 Comet 250 back in 2009 that had 18,000 km. Constant electrical problems (including one fire) and the engine ceased two months after I bought it. Of course, I picked it up for a song so it was almost inevitable.

However, my 2008 was rock solid for the two years I owned it. It was a fantastic motorcycle and I only ever had to do oil changes and one valve adjustment once it hit around 20,000 km.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2008 650R... had to replace chain and sprocket, previous owner did electrical like a jackass and I will have to replace the tires after winter. Chain, sprocket and tires are usage so it's fine, electrical was cheap at least.
Damien

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November 4th at the F1 track will be the final round of the KKRRC motorcycle races. http://tvpot.daum.net/v/ZgHFYbOOcJ4$

Check out the FB event http://www.facebook.com/events/212568845542650/

Also if you guys don't know about it there is an active FB group for us English speaking riders in Korea: http://www.facebook.com/groups/rokriders/
kimchi_pizza

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haydn wrote:
How hard is it to register without the previous owner present?

I want to buy a Daystar, but none of the local shops have any. So I might buy one off craigslist from someone who lives in Seoul. Problem is, I live down in Gunpo, about 45 minutes away.

If I understand it right, the seller would have to go their DMV and deregister it, then put their stamp on the owner transfer paper. I'd take that to my DMV and get it registered. Is that right?

I'd also have to get a truck to bring the bike back to where I live, since I don't feel comfortable enough with my experience and Seoul traffic to drive it home. Has anyone paid to get a bike delivered before?

Additionally, I'm trying to get an insurance quote from http://www.motorcyclekorea.co.kr/ but they seem to be rejecting my foreigner ID number? What's up with that?

I decided to get a bike to get me around my neighborhood and give me a little more freedom and independence from having to take taxi's and buses everywhere, but buying the damn thing is becoming one huge ballache.

Sorry for the rant.

A dated post and based on my experience. The only thing you need from a previous owner is title, copy of i.d. and the plates (very important). But it may be different as cities and provences as they seem to vary a bit.

Delivery is possibly and relatively cheap and easy imo. I bought mine from a dealer, delivered free of charge (did it himself on a flat-bed bongo, ha)

When it comes to insurance....forget insurance quotes. Contact insurance
companies personally. Dongbu, Hyundae (HiCAR), LIG... not only for quotes, but for a sense of trust and security. I make it a point to know or
even build a relationship with my agents. I gotta know they will have my
best interest at heart. I would drink/play darts with my previous agent and I had face to face meeting with my new agent and it went well as he
also recommended a place that a buddy of his owns and will grant me 'discount' drinks with a flash of his name card and he wants to join me.

When it comes to accidents and injuries...sh!t, even back home. You want
to make sure you got a guy in your corner that you trust.

As a side note, I just discovered that some offer full coverage for motorcyclists.
Before, it was only liability. It's expensive as all get out, but...anything for
a peace of mind. By full coverage, I mean your injuries. They won't cover damages done to bikes.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: parking spot Reply with quote

I was riding my Hyo GT650 into a parking spot, put on the brakes *thud*! my right front brake pad shot off.... WTF would cause that? Scares the crap out of me thinking what would've happen if it did that when I was stopping from 110km about 60 seconds earlier...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 174 of 181

Jump to: