Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many of you have related qualifications?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Well...
yes
78%
 78%  [ 15 ]
no
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 19

robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: How many of you have related qualifications? Reply with quote

It is just a hunch of mine, but one day in the future, it wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world if the Koreans adopted Indonesia's stance and kicked out the Poli-Sci graduates (which there are many) and only accept teachers with related qualifications such as English and Linguistics.

So, what are your qualifications and what would you do if this rule came into force? Where would you go?
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masters English/Language, Teacher License, Certification

I will stay put.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:

I will stay put.

Good to hear, I wish you much happiness and success on the insular peninsula.

By the way folks, 'CELTA' is not a related qualification. We are talking about BA's in English or Linguistics as well as MA's, PhD's as well as PGCE's and various teacher licenses available worldwide. Very Happy
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:

I will stay put.

By the way folks, 'CELTA' is not a related qualification. We are talking about BA's in English or Linguistics as well as MA's, PhD's as well as PGCE's and various teacher licenses available worldwide. Very Happy

Why is a CELTA not a related qualification? It is more useful than a BA in English from De Montfort University.

If you are going to be picky why not just limit it to a PhD in TESOL or a teaching license?

I would like to get 'proper' quals, but aside from Int. schools are there any positions in Korea that would give a decent reward for all the time/money? If there were I would definitely stay.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a British Council job in Indonesia which thinks CELTA is a related qualification and doesn't seem to mind Poli Science degrees.

https://jobs.britishcouncil.org/ViewVacancy.aspx?enc=mEgrBL4XQK0+ld8aNkwYmDptxyFcniYfD/BHjeEcteGnDGarZstKlHRTEIN/InMjhWivci36CuLVkxzGWSpnvgryVX463byYGUpyWAhsZ41o3uX31kEJh1a1YgJHieivo4nwYvfSAasdb1HE3n3Nc65y2lXZaHI/win0glY6CGsfezNvl6NfY3rGcgCu5oIIkRjEYdfcUQfxaSm15tzxggvOHmoI8LFNNHwwB83+ALU=
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:
robbie_davies wrote:
wooden nickels wrote:

I will stay put.

Why is a CELTA not a related qualification? It is more useful than a BA in English from De Montfort University.

If you are going to be picky why not just limit it to a PhD in TESOL or a teaching license?

I would like to get 'proper' quals, but aside from Int. schools are there any positions in Korea that would give a decent reward for all the time/money? If there were I would definitely stay.

Because the CELTA isn't, it is a four week introduction to teaching English to non-native speakers. Not saying it isn't useful to complete and utter novices but is it equal to a BA in English from De Montfort? I don't think so.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Here's a British Council job in Indonesia which thinks CELTA is a related qualification and doesn't seem to mind Poli Science degrees.

https://jobs.britishcouncil.org/ViewVacancy.aspx?enc=mEgrBL4XQK0+ld8aNkwYmDptxyFcniYfD/BHjeEcteGnDGarZstKlHRTEIN/InMjhWivci36CuLVkxzGWSpnvgryVX463byYGUpyWAhsZ41o3uX31kEJh1a1YgJHieivo4nwYvfSAasdb1HE3n3Nc65y2lXZaHI/win0glY6CGsfezNvl6NfY3rGcgCu5oIIkRjEYdfcUQfxaSm15tzxggvOHmoI8LFNNHwwB83+ALU=

Notice this qualifier though?

It should be noted that all appointments are subject to clearance and issuance of KITAS by Ministry of Manpower.

And yes, the British Council are obsessed with the CELTA, they seem to think it is more useful than an MA in TESOL. Laughing
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

edwardcatflap wrote:

Notice this qualifier though?

It should be noted that all appointments are subject to clearance and issuance of KITAS by Ministry of Manpower.

Right so they'd obviously just post that ad up without checking first about whether local labour laws allowed people to teach in the country with the qualifications they're requiring, wouldn't they. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

And yes, the British Council are obsessed with the CELTA, they seem to think it is more useful than an MA in TESOL.

They prefer a practical qualification yes, but as specified in the advert it's not restricted to the CELTA. ' Hold a recognised ELT certificate (i.e. Cambridge CELTA/Trinity CertTESOL)'

Is this just going to turn into another boring round of CELTA bashing by people without CELTAs? As far as your initial point is concerned.

Is the CELTA a qualification? Yes
Is it related to teaching English? Yes
Will it get you a job in Indonesia? Yes

Don't really see what other point you're making unless you're claiming a qualification can't be called a qualification unless the course lasts for a certain amount of time, or that when you use the word 'related' you mean related to something that isn't TEFL.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because the CELTA isn't, it is a four week introduction to teaching English to non-native speakers. Not saying it isn't useful to complete and utter novices but is it equal to a BA in English from De Montfort? I don't think so.

It may only be a 4 week course, but you have to complete 6 hours of observed teaching and you can gain valuable training in lesson planning and classroom management.

A bog standard BA in English is no more helpful in the classroom than a BA in History or Philosophy.

The most important difference though is that a CELTA is actually useful in finding work. It varies by region, but in Europe a CELTA opens doors and when combined with experience and a DELTA, can lead to more lucrative/stable positions.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:

Right so they'd obviously just post that ad up without checking first about whether local labour laws allowed people to teach in the country with the qualifications they're requiring, wouldn't they. Rolling Eyes

Don't be a facetious now Edward.

If you know anything about this Edward. The Indonesian government have brought out a law stating they will only accept degrees that are related, go to the Indonesian forum on this very site for clarification.

But I am sure, based on wasta or whatnot, some organizations have more clout in getting visas for their teachers which is the norm in Indonesia, it is not what you know but who you know etc.

Same in Saudi Arabia, some teachers work with online degrees but the law forbids anyone working there with an online degree. So sure, if you manage to wangle a job with the BC with your BA in Poli Sci then well done but it is not the norm.

Quote:

They prefer a practical qualification yes, but as specified in the advert it's not restricted to the CELTA. ' Hold a recognised ELT certificate (i.e. Cambridge CELTA/Trinity CertTESOL)'

Why is an MA TESOL not a 'practical qualification'? Mine is, lot's of people with an MA TESOL are.

Quote:
Is this just going to turn into another boring round of CELTA bashing by people without CELTAs? As far as your initial point is concerned.

I have an MA TESOL with a 3 month practicum, why do I need a CELTA?

Quote:
Is the CELTA a qualification? Yes
Is it related to teaching English? Yes
Will it get you a job in Indonesia? Yes

It wouldn't on its own. The degree (related) is what gets you the job in the vast majority of countries, not the CELTA.

Quote:
Don't really see what other point you're making unless you're claiming a qualification can't be called a qualification unless the course lasts for a certain amount of time, or that when you use the word 'related' you mean related to something that isn't TEFL.

The point is, Korea may change the rules and only accept degrees that are related, that is how simple my point is, and what are you going to do if you don't have the relevant degree.

A CELTA is not a relevant qualification, it is a four week taster that people without degrees have. A person without a degree but with a CELTA would not get a working visa to teach in most countries - especially in ASEAN after 2015.

Is that explained simply enough for you.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aq8knyus wrote:

It may only be a 4 week course, but you have to complete 6 hours of observed teaching and you can gain valuable training in lesson planning and classroom management.

A bog standard BA in English is no more helpful in the classroom than a BA in History or Philosophy.

The most important difference though is that a CELTA is actually useful in finding work. It varies by region, but in Europe a CELTA opens doors and when combined with experience and a DELTA, can lead to more lucrative/stable positions.

The degree gets you the visa to teach English, not the CELTA.

Not saying the CELTA is useless, it is a useful qualification for novices in the field.

However, a CELTA on its own is not getting you a job or a visa anywhere anytime soon.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I get you. So 'related qualification' in terms of what the Indonesian government is currently requiring for certain jobs. To answer your question I have a CELTA, CELTYL, DELTA and MA IN TESOL, wouldn't want to work in Indonesia and am very happy to be leaving Korea soon. Smile
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, this isn't about the CELTA, it is about teaching in South Korea and what will happen when the rules change, which they probably will.

I know a lot of CELTA apostles get upset when their crappy qualification gets put under the microscope but try and not steer the conversation off topic - thanks! I wouldn't mind but take a look at all the adverts on the Korean job board and see how many employers ask for a CELTA?

47 adverts out of 1085. Laughing

So, let's keep it on topic.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Ok I get you. So 'related qualification' in terms of what the Indonesian government is currently requiring for certain jobs. To answer your question I have a CELTA, CELTYL, DELTA and MA IN TESOL, wouldn't want to work in Indonesia and am very happy to be leaving Korea soon. Smile

Good for you, as long as we both agree that your CELTA alone is useless in getting jobs and visas then we are all well and good. That is what I mean by 'relevant qualifications'.

What was your BA in? Poli-Sci! Laughing
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Good for you, as long as we both agree that your CELTA alone is useless in getting jobs and visas then we are all well and good.

None-of my qualifications on their own would have got me any of the jobs I've had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: