Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you DEDUCTIVE or INDUCTIVE ...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you DEDUCTIVE or INDUCTIVE?
DEDUCTIVE
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
INDUCTIVE
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
A bit of both
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Toss off ya big ponce ...
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 19

kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Are you DEDUCTIVE or INDUCTIVE ...? Reply with quote

Here's the deal. Some people know what they know, and they know it's right. Whether they got thier beliefs from thier parents, schooling, government, or culture. Their beliefs come first, then they seek out information to confirm thier beliefs. Theory to data. They are DEDUCTIVE.

Some people don't already have a position, they have questions. They are not so sure of things. They may have a gut reaction to something, but they are aware that they probably don't know the whole story. Thier philosophy is more inquirey based. They ask questions first, and consider a wide range of sourses and opinions before they have a position. They are more likely to change thier position on encountering new information. Data to theory. They are INDUCTIVE.

Some people are one or the other. Some are a mix.

What are you?

PS Happy 500th post to me
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20% deductive, 80% inductive. More open to new ideas and beliefs than is probably healthy.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inductive. I don't think deductive votes are gonna be rollin in too quick.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Inductive. I don't think deductive votes are gonna be rollin in too quick
Right, but judging from the baord, some people should say deductive if they're being honest.

I'm about 30% deductive, and 70% inductive. I have some beliefs that won't change ...
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm totally deductive, closed minded and dumb.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope people realize that truth is not relevant, whether realize inductively or deductively. Duct means "to flow". It does not always matter how you get wet. It's still water.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually I'm totally deductive, closed minded and dumb

Rapier, I ca tell from your posts that you're far from dumb. And just to clarify, DEDUCTIVE is not in any way supposed to equate to dumb. It's a valid way to be, no better or worse, and highly intellegent people fall into both catagories. If people think that DEDUCTIVE means dumb then this is not going to work at all.
Quote:
I just hope people realize that truth is not relevant, whether realize inductively or deductively. Duct means "to flow". It does not always matter how you get wet. It's still water.

This is nice, and I often feel the same. I don't know what angle you're comming from, maybe philosophy? I got to this position through Eng lit, deconstructive textual studies and so on. Yes, from the largest perspective, all truth is a fallacy. There is only relativism. However, if we truly tried to live out our lives like that there would be chaos. Your truth is not mine, therefore I don't have to abide by your laws etc.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one of my degrees is in philosophy from a Catholic seminary....taught by Benedictine monks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, one of my degrees is in philosophy from a Catholic seminary....taught by Benedictine monks

If your training was religious then I'm sure we could find something to dissagree on if we dig deep enough! Very Happy

And you didn't answer my position that we need some kind of secial agreement at some level otherwise society will break down ...
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deductives and inductives both have their place in the world. One type needs the other. I'm inductive but I look to deductives to employ me. however, the deductives tend to envy me....!
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier, that's so right. I wish more people would jump on here and admit to being DEDUCTIVE. It's absolutely NOT a lesser thinking style. Both ways are needed to work in tandem for great things to be done.
Ghostinthemachine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote

Quote:
Their beliefs come first, then they seek out information to confirm thier beliefs. Theory to data. They are DEDUCTIVE.

I'm not clear about the DEDUCTIVES. If the information does not confirm their beliefs do they change their beliefs or do they stick with them?

p.s. I like to think I'm SEDUCTIVE but I'm probably deluding myself. Rolling Eyes
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost, if a person is STRONGLY deductive they are more likely to keep looking for different info or find a new way of interpreting that info to make it co-incide with thier belief. If they are prepared to change thier belief when they encounter new info, they have at least some element of inductive.

And yes, you are SEDUCTIVE, at least intellectually ...

My list of strongly DEDUCTIVE types

Fundamentalist christians - especially christian scientists
Neo Conservatives
Nationalists of any type
Died in the wool hippy liberals
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I guess Isaac newton and Charles darwin were deductive?
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this conversation is far to intelligent for little ole me to join. I'm just glad you had a definition of deductive/inductive. I would like to think that I see the facts first, and then make a judgement. But I am sure that there is plenty of deductive in me too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: