Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TUTORIAL - How to post images on this (or any) forum.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you find this tutorial useful?
Yes
81%
 81%  [ 30 ]
No
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 37

superdave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: TUTORIAL - How to post images on this (or any) forum. Reply with quote

[UPDATE] As far as I'm aware, eslcafe has now disabled the option to show images directly in a post. Therefore, posters can only provide a link to the image, which can be opened in a new window or tab. You can still use services such as flickr to host the image. Provide a link to the image directly, or to the account where the images are held.

I'll try and update this thread again if eslcafe allows people to post images.

-------------------------------------------

Hi gang!!!

A lot of people want to post pictures to their advertisements, but many aren't sure how to do it ... with the approval of eslcafe's moderators, i've made a simple tutorial on how to put your own pictures into this forum. actually, this tutorial will work for most message boards.

To get started you'll need a few things:

1. a digital camera to take your pictures.
2. an account to a free image hosting site.

It will take you about 5 minutes to upload and link to your pictures.

You can use any one of the numerous web based image hosting sites including:
www.pbase.com
www.flickr.com
www.smugmug.com
www.imageshack.us
www.photobucket.com
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/
http://www.facebook.com
http://www.myspace.com
... they're all free. however the method of obtaining the location of the file to link to may vary.

For the purpose of the tutorial, i'm going to use www.flickr.com. i've chosen flickr because i already had an account there and it's one of the most simple to use.

Let's start with the obvious, log on to your chosen image hosting site (i assume you've already created a membership) and upload your photo ... i'm going to upload a picture of my kitty cat ... his name is Loki! Smile

Quote:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/443505360_ca8f318b32.jpg[/img]

Find the location of the image on the hard drive of your computer. You should save your images to 'My Documents', so that'd be the most likely place to have them. Different hosts will allow you to upload more than one photo at a time. if you're selling lots of items and need lots of photos, upload them all at once to avoid repeating this step too often.

Quote:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/443505362_2581a801a9.jpg[/img]

Once the picture has been uploaded, you can add a title and description. if you're selling stuff on eslcafe, the description could be the condition of the item and the price!!!

Quote:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/443505364_93157cb9f8.jpg[/img]

After you save your images, they should appear in your gallery. Easy!!

Quote:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/443505366_ccfc536c77.jpg[/img]

The next step is a part of good net etiquette. perhaps your picture is REALLY REALLY BIG ... well, it'd be ugly and mess up the message board page. it'd also take a long time to load.

That's one of the reasons i like flickr.com, it automatically offers photos of different sizes. Let's go pick a photo to display.

Click on your photo and you can see an option called 'all sizes'.

Quote:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/443505370_eaf4d6de43.jpg[/img]

From there, choose the best size. I recommend 'medium' which is about 500 pixels wide. this is generally a good size for message boards. smaller is ok too, but don't go any bigger!

Quote:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/443505382_0a29016ba6.jpg[/img]

At the bottom of that page (the image size you've chosen) you can see some options. One is the link to the image including a flickr.com advertisement. The second one is the plain link to the image.

NOTE: the link to the image MUST contain .jpg or .gif ... these two represent the most common image formats.

Copy that link -> right click -> copy!

Quote:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/443506086_ca6ff0cc33.jpg[/img]

Now you need to open your eslcafe.com discussion thread. Paste your link -> right click -> paste!

Highlight that link and click the 'Img' button ...

Quote:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/443506088_a2f91db9d8.jpg[/img]

Now you're done!! All you need to do is add your information and repeat the steps to add other images. Those images should display normally within the thread and help you sell your items.

Btw, all of the images you see in this thread are hosted on flickr.com ... I've followed the same steps to make this tutorial. You're free to choose your own hosting site, get the link, and post it in the same way.

Good luck! Smile

Last edited by superdave on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:43 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
koon_taung_daeng

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks you ROCK this should be a sticky
xtchr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou, it's much appreciated.
hanguker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks superdave.

However, I think the easiest way is to just use imageshack. All you do is upload your photo. Then you will see a bunch of links. Copy the the first "forum" link and paste it in your message. Really simple.
superdave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanguker wrote:
Thanks superdave.

However, I think the easiest way is to just use imageshack. All you do is upload your photo. Then you will see a bunch of links. Copy the the first "forum" link and paste it in your message. Really simple.

each to their own mate ... personally, i don't like imageshack. they want to include advertisements and often ban hotlinking ... but if you like them, then great.

that's why i posted numerous hosting options at the top of the thread ... just so people have a choice.

glad you found the tutorial useful though ... thanks for the feedback! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deizio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also upload images to facebook / myspace etc then right click (thumbnail or full size as desired) and "copy image location" in sensible browsers or "properties" then copy the url that ends in ".jpg" with Mr Gates finest. Just as easy and sweet if you have MS / FB but cant be bothered to join flickr.
superdave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ... i knew about both of those options, but i loathe myspace. i suppose a lot of people like it, so i should include it in the options at the top.

facebook is decent. and not difficult to use ... i'll add them! Smile
mister petey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

filegunner.net is another no-frills hosting site that i use
fruitcake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did all that using Shutterfly.com with no luck

any ideas why?
superdave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruitcake wrote:
i did all that using Shutterfly.com with no luck

any ideas why?

some sites may disallow linking or hotlinking ... which is why i recommend flickr! Smile
superdave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've updated the original post, to let people know that (for now) eslcafe no longer allows users to directly post images in the threads. you can still use the tutorial to upload images to your favourite image host. then you can link to those images via a hyperlink.

it's sad that this has happened, since many people post useful pictures. however, as with all things, a few r-tards ruin it for everyone.

here's hoping that eslcafe decides to reverse the decision soon ...
deluxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling the ability to put photos in posts was a despicable move. Perhaps some "abused" this function, but the actions of a small minority shouldn't set the guidelines for the majority. And when that happens, we all lose.
Demophobe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deluxe wrote:
Disabling the ability to put photos in posts was a despicable move. Perhaps some "abused" this function, but the actions of a small minority shouldn't set the guidelines for the majority. And when that happens, we all lose.

Insightful.
superdave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demophobe wrote:
deluxe wrote:

Insightful.

perhaps ... although the internet doesn't have a built in sarcasm detector, yet, so it's impossible to tell whether either of you are being sarcastic.

however laws in all societies are built on the same premise. freedoms are always taken away from the majority because of the stuipidity of the minority.

let's just hope that they reverse this policy soon ... and people don't abuse it.
potblackettle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superdave wrote:
Demophobe wrote:
deluxe wrote:

Insightful.

perhaps ... although the internet doesn't have a built in sarcasm detector, yet, so it's impossible to tell whether either of you are being sarcastic.

however laws in all societies are built on the same premise. freedoms are always taken away from the majority because of the stuipidity of the minority.

let's just hope that they reverse this policy soon ... and people don't abuse it.

I hope they do reverse it... it makes it a lot harder to sell things when you can't post images. No one wants to click on 20 different links to see what you've got. Images should at least be allowed in BST.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: