Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University position - what's the deal here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: University position - what's the deal here? Reply with quote

After posting my ad on this site I received an offer of a so-called university position at Inha University in Incheon. Turns out the employer is not the university itself, but Seoul Educational Development Co. Ltd. Is this legit? Any comments on this company? Are all the university positions one hears about like this? How does one go about securing employment with a legitimate university without this kind of go-between? The promised benefits are fast dwindling - now I would have to pay the visa fee, pay my own airfare that will be reimbursed (they say), I have to do at least one summer camp, be willing to go wherever they run their program, etc. What kind of contract would a university have with a company like this anyway?
By the way, the recruiter who contacted me with all the glorious promises is from ESL Corea.
I would certainly appreciate any comments you may have regarding this issue.
Thanks.
Susan. Confused
chronicpride

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEDC runs summer camps and has a placement relationship with some universities. Your job at the university will be more along the lines of an english instructor, you'll probably make 1.9, work 30 hrs/week and get 2 weeks off a year. Those aren't typical uni conditions, so it'll be like teaching at an adult hagwon, but you get to tell people that you teach at a university.

Their reputation is spotty, if you look at what others have said here about them. Don't settle for reimbursed airfare, if they want you, they should prepay.

If a recruiter is peddling uni jobs, they are usually going through SEDC, as they will pay out a recruitment fee (usually half of what they would get for a hagwon, though), unlike the recruiter sending you to the uni directly, where uni's don't pay out recruiting fees.

If you want to get a real university job, find and email your resume to all of the english departments of universities in Korea and do continuous follow-up calls to them, as many are hiring for Sept starts right now and are getting loads of resumes in.
Susan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: University position - what's the deal here? Reply with quote

Thanks for responding, Chronicpride. Actually, I forgot to mention that I have also had a response from the FLI of the Korean Airforce in Jinju. Any comments about them? Is Jinju too far away in the country? What kind of working conditions should one expect working for this employer?
Thanks for the help.
Very Happy Susan
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nibble (from a resume post I made a while back) from that airforce job too. Actually sounded like it might have been a pretty good gig, but I didn't follow up...
Mankind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and a finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Sorry, I'm like Cartman with Styx. Once I see it started, I have to finish it.
I'm Sailing away...

HAND Smile
mrroboto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinju's hella far, man. don't do it.
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mankind wrote:
Sorry, I'm like Cartman with Styx. Once I see it started, I have to finish it.
I'm Sailing away...

I'm sailing away, set an open course for the virgin sea I've got to be free, free to face the life that's ahead of me On board, I'm the captain, so climb aboard We'll search for tomorrow on every shore And I'll try, oh Lord, I'll try to carry on I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory Some happy, some sad I think of childhood friends and the dreams we had We live happily forever, so the story goes But somehow we missed out on that pot of gold But we'll try best that we can to carry on A gathering of angels appeared above my head They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said They said come sail away, come sail away Come sail away with me Come sail away, come sail away Come sail away with me I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise They climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies Singing come sail away, come sail away Come sail away with me
Come sail away, come sail away Come sail away with me

Whew!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: