Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best ariline .........
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven g

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: best ariline ......... Reply with quote

will be returning home to the uk in a few months before coming back to korea for a second year, and after a nightmare flight coming over here with Air France, i was wondering which airlines people could recommend.
cheers, steve Smile
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysian, Thai and Cathay Pacific I'd say are the best in Asia. Most likely amongst the cheapest also.
desultude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with Malasia. I flew to Australia on Malasia, had a great flight to K.L., and to Melbourne. I had a great flight back to Malasia. They changed my flight with no notification on the over night leg to Seoul- onto a cramped, full Korean Airlines flight- in the back. It was my worst long flight ever. Korean has the worst equipment- no leg space, tiny seats, crammed full. I was really pissed!

I had seat arrangements on all legs of the trip because I was still nursing a broken foot. That was lost in the shuffle, and my foot suffered all night. I will not fly Malasia again if I can help it. It turns out that they do this regularly on the Korea flights. I had worked hard to make arrangements to not fly on Korean- and there I sat for six very miserable hours.
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally under those circumstances you could insist on being upgraded (if there's space of course). Airlines have a lot of legal responsibility to ensure passengers' health. I always ask for an upgrade anyway. Works maybe 10-15% of the time. Not frequently but often enough to make it worthwhile. The secret seems to be to wear some reasonably nice clothes. A suit probably isn't necessary - I'd say though to keep the pee stained pants in the check in luggage and your chances improve a hundred fold.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoy Thai Orchid.

They have a choice of Indian food, and if you like that it's important to know that you have to tell them you are vegetarian when you buy the ticket so they will have enough put on the plane for you. In my case, it's not true but I like it better than airline attempts at western food - beware, if you wait and ask for it on the plane they will give it to the real vegetarians first and you'll probably will have to make do with the other ...

Plenty of other reasons to like the Orchid. Last time I flew from California, the plane had those little LCD screens for movies so you could take your pick of 8 or 10 were playing simultaneously - I think you could even pause it when you get up to use the bathroom.
desultude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get an upgrade- they were also overbooked on the Korea flight. They upgraded the frequent flyers with the most miles. No one gaves a rats whatever about my foot. In the line next to me was a woman with a foot in worse condition- she had just gotten out of the hospital in Thailand and was facing a very long flight to Amsterdam, and was still in a wheel chair. They did they same thing to her- switched her flights and jammed her in steerage.
The evil penguin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the ol' "Korean women are the best looking in the world" topic- Korean Air has the yummiest air hostesses........
Cool Laughing Cool

AND they can speak english. Sort of.......
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to US and Canadian airliners, with the exception of Africa, all airliners are much better.
Gord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese carriers are the answer and they are what you seek. But they come with a price, and that price is a lot more than what everyone else charges.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore Airlines hands down, leg room even in cattle class and those in seat video/games console. Also great about feeding you if you get stuck at the Singapore airport

Used to like Thai but have noticed their service has slipped considerbly in recent years
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
Compared to US and Canadian airliners, with the exception of Africa, all airliners are much better.

Yeah Biman Bangladesh provides two puke bags these days. Luxury par excellence.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get a cheap flight if you connect thru singapore (on sing. air). I used to fly them exclusively (food/service/entertainment is great) until I flew in the 777 (United). WHAT AN AIRCRAFT!
camel96

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack the knife wrote:
You'll get a cheap flight if you connect thru singapore (on sing. air).

Just curious when MTK...?
They've had a lot of major specials over the past few months (due to SARS, Iraq etc) but I think their prices are slowly returning to norm now.
Nevertheless they're a great airline.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last October the wifey and I flew to Spain via Singapore. Tics were 700-800 or something like that. Ridiculously cheap!
duanemyhre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: best ariline ......... Reply with quote

steven g wrote:
after a nightmare flight coming over here with Air France

Air France! What did you expect!? Thats a NO-BRAINER!! Have you ever been to Fr............

Just kidding!! Laughing

I really like Thai Airlines. Great service and reasonable prices!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: