Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World Trade Center NYC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiddirts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: World Trade Center NYC Reply with quote

What's with kids these kids in my class laughing about thousands of people dying in a burning building? They know I'm American and whenever buildings or planes or anything is brought up they always make a motion of a plane going into a building and start laughing about it. But god forbid anyone mention 2 girls and a tank and their faces go pale. I had a friend lose his mother in the secdon building and it aches me that nation would have its younger generation laugh about something like this. When I was their age, was I laughing about students dying in Tianammen square? I doubt we can blame it on their immaturity, so do people hate America this much?
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so do people hate America this much?

Yes, it's very trendy don't you know?
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I couldn't agree more. They have been indoctrinated by their parents unfortunately. Confucism doesn't extend to respect for foreigners. They should learn some manners and know their place. They have to thank the USA for so much. This arguement has been done so many times on this site so I will not go any further. Just to let you know that others are sick and tired of this sort of thing as well.
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: World Trade Center NYC Reply with quote

Kiddirts wrote:
When I was their age, was I laughing about students dying in Tianammen square?

I was - I can still remember some of the jokes.
And I can think of hundreds of equally horrifying topics I laughed at. Embarassed
Call me horrible but I think it's just a kid thing. And not necessarily just a Korean kid thing. I bet there's WTC jokes in elementary schools all over the place. Don't get me wrong it's not a good thing but I have students who don't even know what town they live in so you can hardly expect them to have consideration about something that happens on the other side of the world. Might as well be on the moon for all a 5 year old kid cares.
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that it's a kid thing. Kids can be extremely sensitive and be trained very early on to respect things: the value of life, the value of money, the importance of manners etc. I never threw temper tantrums when I was little because it was understood that such a thing was not appropriate or acceptable. Yet my husband tries to tell me that the five and six year olds here haven't yet reached the age of reason and thus they should be allowed to behave however they want. Which is why there are so many little brats running around this country. Rolling Eyes I'll promise y'all one thing, when my daughter's four or five she isn't going to be pointing at you saying "look, mama, there's a waygookin!" cause she will have been told that that's not appropriate behaviour, and if she persists in doing it she will get a smack on the ass.
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're basically saying I was a turd when I was little...?
I won't disagree but I certainly wasn't alone in some of the stuff I laughed at. Yeah teaching a kid respect for things is great. It's very very important but expecting a 5 year old to behave like and have similar reactions to situations as an adult is ludicrous. Maybe it's based upon life experiences. I don't know. A lot of what you said is right Corporal and I sure ain't Dr Spock. Setting boundaries and expectaions in how children behave is necessary. Just be careful not to overdo it too much or your kid'll hate you for it.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sucks and it offends me even but...

but for the grace of god my class didn't have an ethiopian teacher in the mid 80s.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids reflect the attitudes of the parents in the home from a very young age. No one is born racist.
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
Kids reflect the attitudes of the parents in the home from a very young age. No one is born racist.

Possibly from all over the place not just parents. I, for example would not say my parents were racist. And they would have torn me to pieces had they KNOWN some of the stuff I was saying and laughing at in school.
In any case I grew up to become the bastion of political correctness and pretentiousness you see before you today. Laughing
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't an almost identical thread come up almost exactly like this a week or two ago?

I think the general consensus was that kids are kids the world over, and I certainly remember all the thousands of 'ethiopian jokes' in my middle schools and high schools..

Kids are kids the world over.
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Tiger,

thjose ethiopian jokes were a dime a dozen..and that situation was much worse then the WTC was as it was a prolonged famine that killed thousands.
Kids and people make jokes about tragedies. It happens all the time.
The only difference here is that now the joke concerns something that happened to North Americans so now its not funny. It was funny to make fun of Ethiopians because thats so far away.
9-11 was a horrible tragedy but so was Ethiopia, Bosnia and many other places.
As for kids, whatever some people believe, they can be cruel and they are just kids. They will follow trends at school even if their parents tell them not too.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha. ethiopian jokes. good times.

Yeah, I don't know where but somewhere along the line I got really squimmish. For example, when I was younger and watched football or soccer and someone got hurt badly, I'd be like cool! Now I can't even look at the screen for a big hit. wtf, I got wussified.
Gord

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eithopian jokes as mentioned. As well "what does NASA stand for?" and "what does AIDS stand for?" were quite popular back in the day.

In other words, Kiddirts, Edited by Mr. Kalgukshi 17-08-03.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporal wrote:
she will have been told that that's not appropriate behaviour, and if she persists in doing it she will get a smack on the ass.

quoted for truth.
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gord was does AIDS stand for....?
I know Nasa was Need Another Seven Astronauts.
Feel free to PM or post on Beckersons. He doesn't mind the smut.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: