Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

contracts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alamuerte

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: contracts Reply with quote

everybody says get a well writen contract

everybody says the director will hold you to the contract, and more,
but you can't hold them to the contract.

is everybody confused, or just me?
chronicpride

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans view contracts and agreements as something that can always be subject to negotiation. In other words, your contract will be the framework of your working relationship between you and the school, but may or may not be the end result.

Expect negotiation and give&take to always continue, regardless of how well a contract may be written. Korean business relationships do not adhere to the same conduct as we have back in the west.
BTM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently been offered (too far into the negotiation phase) the worst contract I've ever seen in Korea, and I've seen a few. It's full of clauses that were clearly put in because they dealt with waeguk cowboys in the past (the school reserves the right to terminate you without notice, more or less if they feel like it? Yeah, right.)

It is true that the verbal relationship and agreement is pre-eminent, but if things go sideways, you can be damn sure they'll pull out the contract and start quoting chapter and verse.

I told them I wouldn't sign the contract (or accept the job) without changes...so I probably won't end up taking the job.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: contracts Reply with quote

alamuerte wrote:
everybody says get a well writen contract

everybody says the director will hold you to the contract, and more,
but you can't hold them to the contract.

is everybody confused, or just me?

This is partially true. It depends on who, where, when and how you try to enforce the terms of your contract. You should definately do some reading on this site and others regarding contracts and what to look out for.

But still your best barometer is going to be past teachers. Did they get their full pay, benefits, final bonus, airfare etc? If not, why not? If you can't find the answers to these few questions then you will be taking a very big risk by accepting a contract at face value.

Yes, contracts change, schools change, teachers change but it seems that a bit of homework on the part of would be teachers could save you a years worth of grief.

Cheers and good luck
Some waygug-in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: