Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some desperate info plz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Protea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Need some desperate info plz Reply with quote

Hey All ! I have been reading your posts with much enthusiasm. Thanks to Dave and you guys I have thus acquired a greater understanding of South Korea and esl. Many of the posts that I have read have been geared towards North Americans and thus I would like to ask some questions as a South African who is interested in teaching in SK.

1. How are South African's accepted in Hagwon's and such?
2. Do we have to change our accent hectically to align with the preffered North American accent?
3. Coming from a mixed background on any given day I could look somewhat Caucasian, Asian, South American or even Indian . I know a real chameleon !!! But either way what do you think the response would be like if I am considered as the latter by South Koreans , in terms of employment and prejudices?
4. South African's also has 3 year degrees as apposed to the North American's 4 years . Is this sufficent to be issued with a E-2 Visa?

Thanking you in advance

Wink
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. How are South African's accepted in Hagwon's and such?

If you're white and they understand your English, no problem.

Quote:
2. Do we have to change our accent hectically to align with the preffered North American accent?

No. SOME places might push you to sound more "North American". But take that with a grain of salt.

Quote:
3. Coming from a mixed background on any given day I could look somewhat Caucasian, Asian, South American or even Indian . I know a real chameleon !!! But either way what do you think the response would be like if I am considered as the latter by South Koreans , in terms of employment and prejudices
?

Predudice? In Korea? No way! (j/k)

Seriously, it "might" present a problem for some places. Others not. It depends on how the individual schools feel about it, and quite frankly, how desperate they are.

Then again...look at me! I got a job and I'm not exactly the most handsome guy!

Quote:
4. South African's also has 3 year degrees as apposed to the North American's 4 years . Is this sufficent to be issued with a E-2 Visa?

Does your diploma say "THIS IS ONLY THREE YEARS WORTH OF EDUCATION"?

If not, don't worry.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone from S.A. who is half Dutch and half Indian. He is doing fine here and has an E-2 visa and a good job in Seoul.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kiwioutofthenest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sure some schools are picky bout the appearance more than the accent but in saying that in my city where there is a pathetic amount of foriegners (15) 5 are south Africans 2 of whom are 'coloured' (for want of a better word) and one very dark they havn't had many problems...they do tend to get stared at a little more but thats the korean national pass time
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it they are strict about the 4 year degree requirement now. But I would still apply and find out for myself if I were you.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need a four year degree if you're from North America. As far as I know, Australians, NZers & Brits don't need 4 year degree. I presume the SAers are in this crowd too.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You only need a four year degree if you're from North America. As far as I know, Australians, NZers & Brits don't need 4 year degree. I presume the SAers are in this crowd too.

If that's the case I can see the logic. We can clearly learn in three what they learn in four! ( I enjoyed that )
kiwioutofthenest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Kiwi!
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how many of you had to send transcripts? I just sent my degree and it says nothing about how long it took me to get the thing. They're just looking for the BA, BS, MA, or in my rare case Phd printed on the thing. If you had a two year degree in flower potting from Flora's Floral Flacadamy and your degree said BA on, they wouldn't care. If you didn't have a degree, but wrote your own on a bar coaster, they wouldn't care.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
You only need a four year degree if you're from North America.

Only you don't.
Homer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hagwon down the street from mine hired a South African a couple of years ago.
He was black and muslim. The recruiter hired him without a picture (which is cool since he was qualified). His co-workers went to pick him up at the airport. He came out of the gate and he my friend who worked there at the time told me the director went into shock. Then again she went into shock when our school hired a Scotsman... Laughing
He ended up working here for 2 years, found a muslim place to go to and worship and managed to live by his religion as far as food was concerned. He did have adjustments to make but once it was proven he was a good teacher (and the kids loved the guy) the director recovered from her shock, as she always did, and he had an ok couple of years.
He was however as green as you could wish. Had never left his parents house or had a real job. This was his first trip out of his country and he had a tough first few weeks adjusting.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are south africans working here. You might not have it as easy to get a job as a pretty blonde blue eyed north american but we still seem to find jobs anyway.

You don't need a 4 year degree.

As for apperance. When your here don't get to worried about what people say. I get people telling me that my skin is dirty as my arms have a lot of freckles. Bring a think skin and you'll be sweet as.

CLG
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL-Law wrote:

Recently there was a lot of confusion over this issue - it seems that
whilst the UK and Australia and New Zealand have 3-year degrees, the USA and Canada have 4. For a brief period the three-year degree was rejected until the embassies told the Korean ministry of Justice that the 3 years course was identical to the 4.

This now you will find the 3-year university course accepted.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?p=82458

From this information I gather that NA people require a 4 year degree while the UK, Australia and NZ require 3 year degrees.

This doesn't however answer the OP's question - no mention above re South Africa. I suggest you send an email to [email protected] and ask them. Please post back here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: