Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Traditional Mask (Hahoe pyolshin-kut tal-nori)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Korean Traditional Mask (Hahoe pyolshin-kut tal-nori) Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been trying for ages to collect the whole set of the famous Korean dance masks, the Hahoe pyolshin-kut tal-nori. However, in the Seould area I can only find the four most famous ones:

but the other five only seem to be available in tiny sized sets, or in huge ones, but not the size I'm looking for (about 12-13 cm):

I've checked Insa-dong and Itaewan, but they all tell me the others can't be had in the size I'm looking for. I figure that since the main four are so plentiful in that size, there must be somewhere to get the others. I'm thinking of going to Andong (where they originate) anyway, so this might not matter. Does anybody know where the entire set is available in the Seoul area?
The evil penguin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure which ones they actually have but I remember seeing some about the right size sold as a set within a glass display thingo at the Incheon airport. .......

could be worth a look???
the_beaver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a guy in Insadong who carved the masks on site. I think he's since moved on, but somebody in one of the Insadong shops might have info on people like this.
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I've seen all of them in Insa-dong - couple of weeks ago.

The shop was on the same side as the bakery and on the opposite side of the tourist information centre, the one with the Hi-Seoul shop.

You can also ask the staff at the tourist information centre; they will give you a pretty comprehensive map of just the Insa-dong area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: