Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suwon Ho!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terrabus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Suwon Ho! Reply with quote

I lived in Korea for 3 years. I came back to the states for 3 years and now I'm coming back to Suwon. My wife is Korean.
Is anybody in Suwon? What's the teaching climate like?
My wife wants me to go to a hogwan, but I want to have her sponsor my visa so I can be independent and teach privates for more money.
I'm also going to be having her help me advertise for proofreading jobs.

What are privates paying nowadays?
Is there a special visa my wife could get so I'm not pinched by the immigration dolts?
I figure if my many directors in the past could send me out like a government mule, why couldn't I send myself out?

Thanks!

Ted
camel96

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the most misleading subject title I've ever seen on this board... Evil or Very Mad
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this forum topic for more info on Suwon:
What's With Suwon?
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My wife wants me to go to a hogwan, but I want to have her sponsor my visa so I can be independent and teach privates for more money.

I'm not sure, based on conversations here in the past, that that's do-able, legally. But I'd love to hear some of the other old-timers weigh in.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel96 wrote:
That's the most misleading subject title I've ever seen on this board... Evil or Very Mad

Word, I was all gonna say "They're kinda pricy."

Um, if you've been out of Korea for 3 years, you might be better off starting off in a hakwon, and then changing when you're situated. I'm not sure how much dillydally time you have before you need to start working, though. Key money for apartments is outrageous.
Terrabus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Misleading? Reply with quote

I was thinking Calvin and Hobbes. Instead, some people were thinking "other" things. Tsk, Tsk.
Actually, I've lived in Suwon off and on, it's just that I'm hesitant. It's not the areas I'm concerned with--it's the evil directors. My last director must have done a lot of drugs or something--nobody liked him and while I would teach classes, he would call my wife just to rattle her cage and harrass her.
So, I guess my main questions were about the general climate and such. There are few adult-only schools there and those that do exist have some bad reps. Yale comes to mind. My buddy was labelled a pedophile by a jealous teacher there. One of their guys tried to sell me dope one night.
Everything else, I can find with my wife. I'm not worried about the nightclubs, etc.
It looks like I'm just going to have to go there and deal with it.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a friend of a friend worked at a bad hakwon near Ajudae, and I almost took up a job with JAFLI, but it fell through, because the guy was being such a damn stickler about the plane ticket. Other than that, the only work I know anything about in Suwon is teaching at one of the chaebol.
Gord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Suwon Ho! Reply with quote

Terrabus wrote:
My wife wants me to go to a hogwan, but I want to have her sponsor my visa so I can be independent and teach privates for more money. I'm also going to be having her help me advertise for proofreading jobs. What are privates paying nowadays? Is there a special visa my wife could get so I'm not pinched by the immigration dolts?

You cannot legally teach privates on a visa sponsored by your wife. In the remote chance you were to be busted, it's hard to say what would happen as since it would be your primary income they may want to charge you more heavily than usual under tax fraud and whatnot.

Though in the most likely scenarion they would just fine you and say don't do that again with the caveat they'll deport you next time.

Proofreading, so long as you are an employee of the company and paying your taxes, that's fine. You may have to register with Immigration where you are working at though, but that's not to seek permission but simple notification.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Suwon Ho! Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
Is it possible to teach privates if his wife registers as a hogwon and he pays taxes?

To qualify as a hogwon there is a whole separate set of rules that apply, including minimum classroom size. It's not as simple as saying one is going to teach in their living room. There have been threads on about it before on setting one up and the minimum required on this forum which the search feature can find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: