Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Postpartum hospitals? Have you seen one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Postpartum hospitals? Have you seen one? Reply with quote

Do women need postpartum hospitals? Have you seen one?

I was quite surprised to find her resting in a kind of maternity center, which cost my brother a lot of money. He gladly paid for it, saying it was best for the Korean mother, but we didn�t quite understand the idea of her checking in there.

Some new mothers who wish to receive "proper" care will check into sanhu joriwon, literally meaning postpartum care center.

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200308/17/200308172309193509900091009112.html
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about a 19 months ago, just before my wife had our daughter, there were a bunch of babies who died in 2-3 of those place because of unsanitary practices. It was all over the news too. If your wife is pregnant insist that she not go there.

If she really wants the extra care - hire someone for 2 weeks to come to your home.
dutchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife went to one this past June. It was a very clean and relaxing place for my wife to recover after the birth of our daughter. My only complaint (and hers too after two weeks) is that it caters to the old wives tales of Koreans. For example, the place was heated, yes heated in June/July. The windows in the rooms are sealed. It was like a sauna. On top of that the women are required/encouraged to wear long underwear under their gowns. They were also forbidden/encouraged not to take a shower for two weeks. My wife broke down after a week and showered much to the consternation of the staff and other mothers. It costs about 500,000 won a week. One million won there plus 200,000 for the birth and it was still significantly cheaper than having a baby in the States where they send you home in 24 to 48 hours.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the no shower thing, my wife did that for 3 days and then showered - fortuneately it was winter and she wasn't sweating due to heat. Anyhow her mother came up for one week and her sister for the second week.

The heat thing bothered me, but I let it go as it was winter and this is Korea so I just let her do what she wanted. Whatever made her feel better and recover quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: