Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SED - Seoul Educational Development

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: SED - Seoul Educational Development Reply with quote

Exclamation This is a warning to all readers that SED is currently recruiting for a so-called university position even as they are refusing to pay teachers who have done a summer camp with them. They offered me a contract and, believe me, you don't want to sign that contract. MOST IMPORTANTLY, this is not a university position - just because you are teaching some students who happen to also attend a university, does not mean that you are employed by a university. DO NOT SIGN WITH THEM - THEY ARE TELLING SUMMER CAMP TEACHERS THAT THE COMPANY IS OUT OF MONEY AND THAT IS WHY THEY CANNOT PAY THEM. They also require teachers to pay their own airfare, promising to reimburse them. There is at least one posting here of someone who has not been reimbursed by them. Exclamation
I hope this helps someone.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SED - Seoul Educational Development Reply with quote

I work for SED and I'm completely happy with them. I am a frequent user of this board and yes, Susan's claims can be quite damaging but also, users have free will to discredit them. This is of my own free will, noone is badgering me.

Here goes:

Susan wrote:
MOST IMPORTANTLY, this is not a university position - just because you are teaching some students who happen to also attend a university, does not mean that you are employed by a university. .

Duh! They rent space in a university and set up a kiddie hagwon. They also have a uni position because they teach TOEIC to college students. If that position is filled, you'll probably teach kiddies.

Susan wrote:
DO NOT SIGN WITH THEM - THEY ARE TELLING SUMMER CAMP TEACHERS THAT THE COMPANY IS OUT OF MONEY AND THAT IS WHY THEY CANNOT PAY THEM.

So far I haven't heard anything like this for my school. I believe all of the teachers at mine are getting paid. Could be a school to school thing as they have many branches. You have proof?? If this happens at are school, I will definitely post.

Susan wrote:
They also require teachers to pay their own airfare, promising to reimburse them. There is at least one posting here of someone who has not been reimbursed by them.

Once again, can you find this post??
I was hired in Korea and they paid for my visa run to Japan. If anybody has not had their airfare paid by this company, please speak up.

So far I've been happily working for SED for the last 3 months. Sure there are the things that come up that suck big time but at my school they are very few and far between.

The cirriculum there is cut and dry. They give you a pre-planned syllabus and teachers create their daily plans each month. Text books and materials are professional. Teachers bring in their own style and supplement the classwork.

They've always paid me on-time and correctly. I do have the kiddie position teaching elementary and TOEIC to middle school.

Housing is just outside the university I work at and I've had no problems with the apartment. Everything was furnished. They are so far very professional and I haven't had any problems.

I just finished teaching our summer middle-school program. We had 6 different levels and each class had 12 students. Our elementary classes were full also.

2 foreign teachers are currently close to ending their contracts here. One worked for 2 or 3 years at the school and is leaving Oct. 1st. The other is the college instructor, leaving in November. I have the leg up on his position.

Hope this helps. Just realize that there are no perfect jobs in Korea. Unfortuneatley teachers do get shafted by schools once in a while.

Smile Smile Smile [/quote]

Last edited by matthews_world on Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: SED Reply with quote

Everybody who responded to this should contact "noelinkorea" (member on this site) regarding his (and others') experience with SED.
How one can overlook the conduct of a company that is actively hiring new teachers while existing ones are not being paid because "the company has run out of money", is beyond me.

Anyway, everybody, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your story with SED sounds exactly like my friend's and her colleagues last year. Exact same excuses.
wildBillLee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for SED from March until October 02. During that time, late payment of wages became a habit. SEd moved me around to three different locations, against my will, and against contract. Everytime I moved, SED demanded my passport (and against my better judgement I sent it via courier to their office in seoul) They destroyed by BA degree. I refused to let them touch my MA. I complained loudly at the late payment of wages. They fired me. They gave me one day to get out. I said that according to Labour Law you're required to give me one months notice. If no notice, you pay me an extra month. They laughed at me. They wanted me to come into the office and accompany them to Immigration offices in Seoul. I said that before I go I want the one months wages that you owe me. They said no we can't. I said fine. I'm not going with to the Immigration Offices. I didn't. I returned to Canada. I was so sick of the nonsense that they put me through.

A number of Korean teachers I know still haven't been paid their last months wages. I haven't been paid my last months wages. There are numerous complaints on Daves Cafe about SED. If you take the time the Hagwon report will also send you some reports. I could give you the name of the guy who recruited me, but he wouldn't like that. He's ashamed.

There's also something illegal going on betweeen SED and Korean Immigration. They treat many of the employees bad. At their Institute at Bundang all of the office staff just up and quit recently, A Korean teacher said to me that everyone hates the new director. . No reason was given, but the fact that everyone quit on the same day suggests something.

I assure you that SED is not a good organization to work for. All the white people I met, hated them, with the possible exception of one person, but he may not have been right in the head. Either that or he was a buddha. The Korean teachers that I knew, hated SED too.

Make up your own mind. Everyone's experience is different.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone should contact lostseoul to see if he has any info in his database.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
someone should contact lostseoul to see if he has any info in his database.

Already been posted in a different forum KCK: SED - what's with it?

Honestly, people need to include the location of the specific branch hagwan that the problems have taken place in. Don't bash the entire company. Please mention the SED locations with your posts.

I'm only saying this because I'm happy with my location. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late entry posters.. but to keep it tidy, lets refer http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=8114 from now on about posts regarding SEDS.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: