Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible consequences of a runner???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usteach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Possible consequences of a runner??? Reply with quote

If a teacher working legally with an E2 visa were to do a runner. Lets say after 6-7 months into the contract and went back to his home country, what could a hagwan director potentially do? I'm assuming most can't be bothered with the idea of suing someone who is no longer in country and of course, returning to Korea in the near future ( OK forever) is totally out.

Any first hand experiences with this? Just curious..
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real consequence is that you may be blacklisted at immigration and not allowed to return for a couple of years.

Likely result, you can come back but not get another E2 visa until the original contract would have run out.

KK
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

why do you or your 'friend' want to do a runner. At the last job I worked at this guy did one and pissed everyone off at work. It wasn't so much that the place was bad. It had its problems but was a lot better than most hagwons. He wanted to leave because he couldn't take korea. He couldn't adjust. He did a midnight run because in the contract it said something about forgoing a half months pay or something. he didn't want to miss out on his pay. Funny thing is the way the pay period worked out he missed out on 10 days pay. For a few days pay he seriously pissed off everyone at work and some of the people he worked with are people he will probably run into again and then he will have to face them. Unless you are at a really crappy hogwan i would you suggest you or your 'friend' work things out with your boss. Remember to never burn your bridges.
mishlert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally against "running".
I was at a hokwon and working for the boss from hell; making my life misersable. Should I have done a run? Most people on theis board would have said yes.
Did I do it? No.
I gave him 3 weeks notice, and with 1 week left he told me that the new teacher was going to arrive late and asked me to do 1 more week. I did and at the end of week I got my pay, minus bills and off I went.
The reason I did not run was because of the other teachers and all the extra work/hours they would have had to do if I had just up and left.
So, before doing a run one should think of the other teachers left behind.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing suing-wise that they will do. Worst-case scenario is what Kimcheeking said. If the director really cares enough, he'll go down to immgration and file a complaint and have you flagged for if/when you try to re-enter the country and that would be only for a couple of years. Which means a couple of years in Taiwan, if you wanted to stay in this part of the world and make money doing the same thing.

I don't know your situation or who's situation you're speaking on behalf for, but if it's very undesirable conditions that are the problem and is irreconcilable, then ask for a release and give notice. Running is cowardly, IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: