Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the "Red Door" Market in Itaewon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: just there Reply with quote

I was just there not 10 minutes ago to check it out.

It is not locked, nor does it have a red door.

It was there a year ago when I was here, and it is still there as of the time of this posting. And, it was busy.

Now, I also know where to get CHEAP lamb....
Wishmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kangnam Dragon, there is a market close to Burger King. They've got many bags of Tortilla chips. The Red Door also carries Tostitos tortilla chips(I saw 2 bags there today). Also, thanks to the Lemon for advice on the market across the street. It is simply called, "Food Market" and has many western foods including cheddar!!!! If you want western foods, there are plenty of places to get them here. Today, I bought a big box of Lucky Charms, pop tarts, Dinty Moore Roast beef and potatoes dinner, cheddar and a big box of Chips Ahoy! cookies. Yes, it was expensive...but it truly is worth it when you get tired of mandu, kimchi and the like....
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find this damn hole in the wall. I walked all the way down to the Chung Hwa apartment complex and didn't find jack. Somebody who has been there should list a few other places around it...-_-
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really bother to read most of the posts but it is still there for the time being. There is a red door for sure.
Get to Burger King. Turn away from the Hamilton hotel. Walk straight. Walk past furnature stores. Cross a bridge (Interesting 'scenic view' from the opposite side) continue to crosswalk, do not cross. continue for ten meters or so. Cross street illegaly. Look across the streeet you will see a Yellow Foreign Exchange Dealer (New), Next door there is a small shop with red rimmed trim.
That is what remains. Still stuff in there though when it is open.
I have been here probably before many of you were born. In those days we were starving to death at times.
If you are in the boonies, believe me I know what it is like, and I don't mean Cheetos. If it is something you really need. E-mail me. But fairly serious things. Don't expect a respose on Cheetos.
But Tampax no problem, Hair dye no problem, decent socks, always a big one! Vitamins. If you are in the boonies that supermarket on the corner sells ramen and candy. Antibiotics, birth control, water filters that actually work, deoderant, decent tooth paste (always a favorite of mine.)

I should start a new thread entitled If You are in the Boonies!

The thing about the Red Shop is that here in Seoul if you just sort of ride the rails enough from place to place you can buy everything she used to sell.
Derrek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: That's why! Reply with quote

That's why!!!!

Directions before never said to cross the street!

I've been on the wrong side of the street.

Thanks!
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! You were probably on the correct side of the street. You just have to cross the street to get a perspective. We are talking about a fabulous shopping emporium stretching from sea to shining sea.
Red trim near the crosswalk, no sign, no markings whatsoever and next to... it probably isn't worth the effort these days.
tzechuk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've heard so much about *the red door* but could never seem to locate it. Just precisely how far is it from Burger King. How many minutes does it take to walk there from BK if I were a medium speed walker? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tzechuk wrote:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've heard so much about *the red door* but could never seem to locate it. Just precisely how far is it from Burger King. How many minutes does it take to walk there from BK if I were a medium speed walker? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

3~5 minutes. There are actually two, run by a mother and daughter. Both are on the same side of the street.
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is right by the yellow Money exchange sign... if you go past that, you've gone too far...

and the door is indeed red and on the left side of the road... there is no other sign.
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear up confusion: the door itself is a transparent glass door. The moulding around it is reddish. Don't be looking for a solid red door.
tzechuk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci beaucoup, thank you!!!
chronicpride

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can put an end to this oft-elusive place for foreigners, if someone takes a shot of it with their camera or cellphone cam, and posts it here. I'm not due for a visit for another while, so by all means, if someone is going before then, please try to take a moment to capture it.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: red door Reply with quote

well, there are a bunch of shops that sell western food along the BK street. All u have to do is look in the windows. That is nit hard to do. If you see western foods, just go in!
I know Namdemun dcan be a zoo, so do it every few months. It may be worth it to you. Remember, these things are "expensive". Of corse they are, but who cares? They arent expensive if you want them.
Costco is good too, but the sizes are big and you either have to share or have a freezer. No big deal. I get huge boxes of whole grain cereals, and just divide it up in zip lock bags.
Plenty of places to get sestern foods if you are near seoul or Busan (so I heard). Just moved back to the seoul area, and I forgot why I loved it here, the groceries of corse!
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain kirk wrote:
re; the red door in itaewon. in previous posts i've heard that kraft dinner, that vital foreign teacher comfort food, goes for 4,500 won a box in itaewon. however, if you go to namdemun market's import goods section it can be had for the thrifty amount of a mere 2000 won. along with myriod other 'foreign' delectable belly stuffins'. that includes cheddar cheese, cheeze whiz, dill pickles, real hotdogs, bacon, protein and bodybuilding supplements for the gym, boozes of all varieties, western drug store goods like deodorant, etc. Namdemun market is at the hoeyon stop on the light blue line. the foreign import goods market there is marked by a gate with 'foreign import goods' written on it. that gate heads down a cement ramp into an underground catacomb of stalls lit by electric bulbs hanging on cords. on locale and stumped for directions, there is a tourist information kiosk speaking english. methinks itaewon is more expensive for these goods since itaewon is more strictly for foreign
folks. the import goods at namdemun are scooped up by koreans, mostly, so the prices are more competitive.

Go to Cosco, a crate of 12 boxes of macaroni and cheese that tastes like a clone of Kraft's goes for 9000won.
canukteacher

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Red Door yesterday. If I had had my camera I would have taken a picture..........next time for sure.

Also went to Hannam market. Here is a little tip. Do some comparison shopping between Hanam and the little deli/grocery on the left just as you go in the door. The deli/grocery is generally cheaper by about 500-1000Won per item. That can add up to a nice savings.

Also, both buy from Costco and do a markup. If you can easily get to Costco you can buy direct, and what you save from not buying at Hannam will easily pay for your Costco membership. I am simply too far away from any Costco for that to be feasible. But well worth it if you are.

Hope this helps!

Ct
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: