Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life in Pohang
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper1b, read the last 30 pages if you want to know about pohang as it was. i dont know how it is, but with the sad closure of the marlboro bar, its cant be anything that it once was.
leon_d

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... I just had cravings for the chicken mans produce.
lisa3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Advice on the Pohang Wonderland Reply with quote

Can anyone give me feedback on the Pohang Wonderland? I am asking from the perspective of a potential parent of a student, not perspective teacher. I noticed some negative comments from teachers about some of the Wonderland schools and noticed there is one close to POSTECH where we are (close to the E-Mart)
Would you send your kids to one?
Thanks for any advice!
bdgonzales

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I are new to Pohang and are just now getting our feel for the city. However, there is still much we have to learn. First, and I think most importantly, where is this so called "chicken man"?? Second, besides bar hopping, what sort of activities are there to keep us busy on the weekends? We've already traveled to Daegu and Gyeongju by bus, and plan to do so again, but we're hoping there may be some more local things to do.

Anyway, hello to any neighboring Pohangsters...maybe we'll cross paths in the near future.
lisa3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Life in Pohang Reply with quote

We have only been here a month so I don't know a lot, but I found the Pohang City Hall website to have some useful information at:
http://eng.ipohang.org/
there is an international fireworks festival going on right now at North Beach and a couple of weekends ago we went to Bogyeongsa Temple which we really enjoyed
http://eng.ipohang.org/En/Culture/CT04/?navi=CT04_1

We also went to the Pohang Health Land Spa, which was pretty amazing in its number of different sauna types. For 8,5000 won you can spend as long as you like soaking in hot and cold pools (segregated by gender) or go into the communal area for the saunas and freezer room. They have an in house restaurant and massage chairs and DVD theater where they show I think it was 3 different movies and pool and ping pong tables. you can get massages and scrubs too (cost extra)

Please let us know if you find any fun things to do or if you know of an affordable bookstore that sells english books. We are starved for reading material but don't want to pay $20/book.
bdgonzales

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lisa3!

Thanks so much for your advice! We are definitely going to check out those websites. As far as books go, if you travel to Daegu (by bus it is 7,000W) and go to the "Lotte Young Plaza" (and then go down to the basement floor), you will find a bookstore called Kyobo. They have a good selection of English books (on the second floor) for the same price you would pay in the US. There is also a website for English books in Korea, but we don't yet know what it is.

Hope that helps!
lisa3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: thanks for the book lead Reply with quote

Hi Bdgonzales,
thanks for the lead on a bookstore. I had seen refernces to a on-line bookstore on this site, but can't remember the name right now. When I checked it out, they seemed to be about $20 for a paperback so I got discouraged. I noticed they have a Kybo internet book cafe on the POSTECH campus, but you have to order the books on-line and I am not very savy navigating websites in Korean. Can I ask what part of Pohang you are in? We are on the POSTECH campus, so most of what I have learned so far is around here.
bdgonzales

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa3:
I know what you mean about navigating Korean websites! I will have to ask my co-workers what that English book website is again. We live in I-Dong, not too far from City Hall. We also have only been here about a month, so we are still figuring things out! We haven't seen the POSTECH campus yet- what is it like? Do you enjoy living there?
bdgonzales

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website for books is:

www.whatthebook.com

We haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so soon.
lisa3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: POSTECH area Reply with quote

The area around POSTECH is pretty nice, kind of like the suburbs though in that there is not a lot going on. It is nice to live here in that it is greener and quieter than many part of Pohang seem to be. Last weekend we went to Gyeungju (spelling?) which was about a 40 min bus ride from here. They had a bus leaving every 10 minutes and we rented bikes for 7,000 won for the day which made it easy to get around (though it was hot!). Lots of ancient sites to see because it is the ancient Shilla capital.

I checked out the what the book site before, but they seem pricey, the same paperback that costs $9 on amazon is $15 there. I know the shipping is free, but it takes some getting used to!
DrTommyTom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am currently in Suwon, Korea.

I am thinking doing my next contract in Pohang.

What are the similarities and differences between the Seoul area and that area of Korea?

Also to anyone in Pohang now. Are there people that play soccer there?

Right now, I play on a good foreigner team in a competitive league. I would like something like that when I go there as well..

Thanks for any responses.
Black Hole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrTommyTom wrote:
Thanks for any responses.

Don't bother bringing any condoms from home, just try WesternCondoms.com -- free shipping and pretty cheap prices on 12 packs (like, 8000W).
The evil penguin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big bump for the Pohang thread....

The Evil Penguin has landed.... and as soon as I'm settled will be looking at a good bike (motorbike).

Any furry foreigners in the area who can recommend a good bike shop?

Pre-emptive evil quacks of appreciation for any advice given. Thanks.
ed4444

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone left in Pohang? I haven't see a waygookin since wednesday evening and he was too far away to talk to.
thegadfly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in Pohang -- still alive, still kicking, still in the same school... took a break to deal with some personal stuff, but am back and am curious to see who on here is also here in Pohang -- Pohang-tans, sound off!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 31 of 34

Jump to: