Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Letter of Release

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mongrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Letter of Release Reply with quote

Has anyone out there actually had any experience in this? I realise that schools and bosses vary, and I've talked to EFL-Law about it, but I'd still like to hear about anyone's experiences with LOR. Especially people that had problems getting one, and what they did.
Catalina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offered a Uni job four months into my hagwon contract. Employer refused to sign a Letter of Release. Said she belonged to an assoication of dictators (directors) and it was their policy not to give Letters of Release Sad I managed to get out on Saturday meetings and cleaning the hagwon in exchange for staying. But I just was fired today. Doubt I will get a release letter even after being fired.

Good Luck!
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Not to long ago on a thread someone (i think it was Gord) posted a sample letter of release from www.efl-law.com. If I remember right you date it and ask your boss to sign it. If he doesn't then you take it to the labour office. The directions are on page which the letter is posted on.

~Web url edited by waterbaby 26/8~
mongrel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Letter of Release Reply with quote

I've been in touch with EFL-LAW, and they said that even though the LOR is unjust, and the directors know it, there is a strong chance that they'll still refuse to sign it. Is this some cultural thing? Any fair (or sane) minded employer wouldn't force someone to stay in a job they didn't want. It just seems really childish, especially in the case of someone being fired. It's like, if we can't have you, no one can. If a teacher leaving gives, and works, the required notice, how can they refuse? Too lazy to find another teacher? These are the sort of adults that spoilt Korean children end up being.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I think the employers are just worried about their pocket books. In their eyes its cheaper to keep a teacher who isn't happy than to go through the process of getting a new teacher. Also there could be the revenge factor. They get angry that you want to leave and cause them to have to spend a lot of money to replace you so they refuse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: