Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING: Foreigners are Being Watched!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pocariboy73

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: WARNING: Foreigners are Being Watched!!! Reply with quote

I notice these days, particularlity, in Noeun dong Daejeon, that several (I counted 10 so far) of the hagwon buses are driving around with huge banners attatched to the side of the buses both in Korean and English saying that "All Foreigners are being watched for private teaching and if reported you will be deported and fined. Also there is a 500,000 Won reward for turning in the foreigner along with the Korean household and the Korean who may have introduced them". It also goes on to say that "The foreigners are not "qualified teachers" and that in hiring a private teacher you run the risk of something bad going wrong with your kid and/or apartment". Three phone numbers are included: Immigration, the Police, and the Haqwon Association.

Just yesterday as I was walking to the gym, one of the hogwon bus adojis screamed at me through his window with a big glee on his fat face "You are being watched!!!" The kids in the bus looked horrified as to what the psycho was going on about.

Now, I don't even do privates, but I feel as if I'm somekind of terrorist in the dong. I think the Hagwon Assosication of Daejeon needs to be called on this. Any ideas what one can do about it? Just ignore it and let it pass????

Last edited by pocariboy73 on Wed May 23, 2007 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChuckECheese

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's true, it's another fine exemple of xenophobia at work in Korea.

Dae Han Min Kook!
goodgood

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture please!!

Not because I don't believe it, I just wanna see it! Sounds crazy.
insam

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING: Foreigners are Being Watched!!! Reply with quote

pocariboy73 wrote:
Also there is a 500,000 Won reward for turning into the foreigner

You mean with the bus? Very Happy
pocariboy73

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Insam, I corrected that. As for pictures, todays a holiday (so there may not be any buses) but I'll try to find one. Hopefully, thats not a crime.

Last edited by pocariboy73 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tokki1

Location: The gap between the Korean superiority and inferiority complex

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING: Foreigners are Being Watched!!! Reply with quote

pocariboy73 wrote:
I notice these days, particularlity, in Noeun dong Daejeon, that several (I counted 10 so far) of the hagwon buses are driving around with huge banners attatched to the side of the buses both in Korean and English saying that "All Foreigners are being watched for private teaching and if reported you will be deported and fined. Also there is a 500,000 Won reward for turning in the foreigner along with the Korean household and the Korean who may have introduced them". It also goes on to say that "The foreigners are not "qualified teachers" and that in hiring a private teacher you run the risk of something bad going wrong with your kid and/or apartment". Three phone numbers are included: Immigration, the Police, and the Haqwon Association.

Just yesterday as I was walking to the gym, one of the hogwon bus adojis screamed at me through his window with a big glee on his fat face "You are being watched!!!" The kids in the bus looked horrified as to what the psycho was going on about.

Now, I don't even do privates, but I feel as if I'm somekind of terrorist in the dong. I think the Hagwon Assosication of Daejeon needs to be called on this. Any ideas what one can do about it? Just ignore it and let it pass????

Hehehehe....laughing so hard I'm crying....lol!!!! Laughing

Well, it's a good thing we're being watched. If Koreans' backs are turned you know what we get up to: importing homosexuality and STD's, molesting their children, stealing their women, snorting enormous lines of heroin and coke down the sidewalk...
nateium

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has got to be joke. My god...that kind of crap is why I teach in Seoul.
pocariboy73

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is no joke. I'm dead serious about it. The pictures I take will prove it. Just be patient a day or two.
JAWINSEOUL

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long until they start assulting western people. Twisted Evil
insam

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If true, that reward is significant enough to generate a bunch of paperwork and investigative man-hours. I was stopped several times on the street last year in my neighborhood and questioned. Usually they just want to see your alien card and passport and make sure you're in the right place etc. But this could take it to a whole new level. Sounds similar to some policies local governments are pursuing in the US regarding the illegal and migrant workers. Rolling Eyes
Cheonmunka

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm legal and to me that smacks of racism. Please make sure the photos are copyable so I can make my own display.

If someone wants to report me I will love to see the reporter's face when the police or immigration have to apologize to me.

I hate that 'foreigner' term. I've only otherwise seen it used in nineteenth century novels. It's such a strong word that divides and makes me often feel like crap.

I'd certainly be sending a few letters to govt. agencies for this one.

Nice to see these bunch of pricks the 'Haqwon Association' involved. Typical. But, wrong.
Tokki1

Location: The gap between the Korean superiority and inferiority complex

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we printed a bunch of 'you are being watched' t-shirts and handed them out to teachers, we would make a mockery of the whole thing without saying a word.
the eye

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's going on there? I recall something like this happening in Daejeon before.
Last year... No?
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gesh....every foreigner is watched in korea! It's a korean past time!
pocariboy73

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hagwon buses with the banners so far seem to be as follows: Little America, ULS, Jung-Chul, Yang-G ELS, and Korean Herald.

Last edited by pocariboy73 on Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:07 am; edited 6 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 1 of 35

Jump to: