Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADSL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nelson606

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: ADSL Reply with quote

I've had ADSL on my laptop in my apartment for a couple of weeks. Overall it is very fast and I'm quite pleased. However, it annoys me that it periodically lags and nothing happens for 15sec every few minutes. Being used to cable internet back home, I find it somewhat frustrating. Is this a ADSL thing, Korea thing, or do I just have a bad connection. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the Internet or a Korean thing. Thus it's either your connection which is easy for KT to fix, or it's your laptop with a software issue that's not so easy to fix.
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the flawless service here. One brief outage in 2 years and running at this apartment...

You can test your settings and stuff here, if you want, before you call support :

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Good luck.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain,
drag ya head out of your butt.
The service may be fast but it sooooooooooo unrelaible. I've had cable net for over a year now, and guess what? It's always stuffing up, even the repair guy doesn't know what to do. No software problem here baby, it's the service connection. As for the adsl at work, I've had better speed and relaibility on a 56k modem back home.
High tech, high problems and a piecemeal installation do not equate to a good system.
Korean internet may be fast, but it leaves a lot to be desired in the reliability stakes.
Yep Nelson you have a bad connection.....it's called Korean.

Still Crazy and still here.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable and ADSL are COMPLETELY different animals. The only thing they have in common is that you can use them to be part of the Internet. Rambling on about how your CABLE connection is spotty means jack when we're talking about ADSL.

Hell, start rambling on about your friends dial-up connection in Seattle, it's about as relevant to the conversation as what you're posting. Be sure to add in you can tell when he's online because his computer is so old that he slows down my Internet.

If you would like, I could go into a huge explanation on how cable connections works both on the hardware (wiring) side and how the software works with that coupled with how ADSL connections work, but given that you have already assumed that they are one in the same that means your knowledge of all things technical is highly limited and my efforts would be wasted.

In short, read a book before you contributing to threads you are not qualified to post on.
Nelson606

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm confused. I thought the only high speed internet in Korea was ADSL. Are you saying there is cable internet, or are you just confusing the two?
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Obvious 2.0 wrote:
In short, read a book before you contributing to threads you are not qualified to post on.

I'm thinking of posting on this thread. I'd like to send you my CV and cover letter first, but I'll need an address.

Last edited by IconsFanatic on Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. cable connections are more popular than ADSL atm, though that is slowly shifting. Look for Thrunet

2. VDSL is also coming out, very fast DSL

3. Its Korean, its unreliable, and it also costs half of what you'd be paying back home.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying there is cable internet [in Korea]?

Yes he is, and yes there is.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable was more popular in 1997 when it was introduced at 40,000 Won as compared to KT's 80,000 ADSL service and quickly garnished 200,000 subscribers before KT lowered their price. But since then it is my understanding that ADSL dominates the market with KT owning more than half the connections in the country.
Nelson606

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems right. Mine is KT and nobody has mentioned any time of connection other than ADSL.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had ADSL from KT for about 6 months before I tanked it. Downloads were really slow and I had lots of downtime. I've been using thrunet cable for the last 18 months and have had no problem. Not one slowdown or anything. I use the internet about 14-18 hours a day so I am quite aware of how good the service is.
jo777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: ADSL Reply with quote

I had KT FOR 7 months, but it became very slow and had some other technical hicups, then changed to Hanaro, now quick and reliable for 5 months already
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C/O:

Hmmmm.let me see...cable and adsl have nothing in common?
From my understanding ( and I am most certainly not an IT Tech like you must be), BOTH rely on being hardwired to a phone line at some part of their connection.
When I do a Net Track, guess what? Hanaro & KT both come up as being part of the network I'm connected through using my cable modem (supplied and forever serviced by Naeil).
So when you say they have nothing in common, I beg to differ....or perhaps my electronics cert is too far out of date now?
Either way, the system is overtaxed and generally unreliable....but when it's going well, it's like a rocket.
And yes the new service VDSL is now available, and for only about chon won more that other services. I guess they are trying to attract a lot of customers fast....probably so they have enough funds to be able to plug it all in at the other end Very Happy ....see ya.

Still crazy, still here.
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Thrunet here Reply with quote

I have Thrunet and I like it.

Had problems twice in 8 months, but at least one of those was definately in our building. They came out and fixed it on a Sunday, 2 days after the problems started.

One thing about Korea that amazes me -- when the cable company says they'll be here at 1pm, they come 10 minutes early.

In the USA they say, "We'll be there sometime between 8am and Noon. Then they show up at 2pm and leave a note on your door saying, "We were here , where were you?" Then after you call, work your way through a 20 minute wait and 8 levels of computer voice, you finally get someone who says they'll be out in more 2 days. Of course, you have to take another 1/2 day off of work to be there for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: