Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help-- Questions about gender and education in korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
globalgrrrl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Need Help-- Questions about gender and education in korea Reply with quote

I had a question for those willing to help out... I've got a paper to write and was racking my mind for some ideas.

I've worked at both a boys' and girls' high school in Korea in the past, but perhaps because they were both seperated by gender, I never really witnessed any outright inequalities, esp. in terms of the girls' school. I'm sure there were, but my Korean was not that good at the time.

I have, however, witnessed gender disparities in the workplace and people often talked about how women are still far behind in terms of pay and other opportunities.

My main question is... have you seen inequalities or perhaps, just differences in the way girls are treated in the education setting? When do you think girls in Korea become aware of the disparities in education (if there are any)? Education is revered in Korean culture so much that I'm not sure if cuts across gender lines like it had in the past. I'm curious to see what it's like for those who work at the university setting, for example. Or perhaps there were things that I did not pick up when I worked at the high schools.

Thanks. I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences. Smile
globalgrrrl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this too hefty a subject? or just not interesting enough? Arrgggghhhh... Confused
Trinny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic:

I went to a co-ed high school in Korea. And the general impression I got from my teachers was that boys were a lot smarter than girls and voila three years later, the number of body going to top-tier universities far outnumbered the girls going to the same good universities.

In the classes, boys tended to get more attention than girls. What was with it? I don't know. I will get back to this thread, after finishing up my work. sorry.
Coffeecup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to this thread, what is the obsessed fascination with female and women-equality of late?

I don't get it. All it seems to me is a thin narrow favoritism singling out one group/gender over the other. It seems to make too many assumptions.

It seems to be hate and fascistic emotionalism. It's the whole "for a better world" disguise.
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't directly answer your question, but I have worked at 3 colleges and 2 unis. At the colleges, the female to male ratio was around 85-15, and at the unis it was the opposite. 2 colleges were tourism oriented, one was more food/fashion, while the unis were engineering and science.
Trinny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not abnormal. I am studying computer science and I am the only woman in my class.
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right Trinny, it is the same elsewhere. . .I guess it would be worthwhile to look at the exact ratios, but that would be splitting hairs me thinks.
globalgrrrl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies Trinny and Steroidmaximus.

And now for you, coffeecup... I take it that you're a guy? Not that it really matters. First of all, the class that I'm taking is specifically "gender and education," so it's kind of hard not to single out one or the other gender. Second, I'm not sure what you mean by:

Quote:
It seems to make too many assumptions. It seems to be hate and fascistic emotionalism. It's the whole "for a better world" disguise.

Understanding human relations in any form is not what I consider to be "hate and fascistic emotionalism." Of course, people can get pretty emotional about the things they believe in or don't believe in (i.e. your response), but I don't agree with the assumption that you make- that things won't get better by being unaware at how a certain group is being treated. You might not like how things are being presented, but that certainly doesn't mean that these issues are meaningless or should be derailed.
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffeecup wrote:
It seems to be hate and fascistic emotionalism.

Shouldn't that more properly be "fascististic" emotionalism? As in, a narcissist is being narcissistic?
Len8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the univeersity I'm at majors like foreign languages, and social welfare, are predominantly girls. The engineering and the physical education courses of course are predominantly men, while the environmental science, buisness, and art courses are 50,50.

Have at times noticed the guys treatment of the girls in their classes. Usually pretty good, but every so often there will be some guy taking a dig at a girl, either physical or verbally. Saw one student twist a girls cheek, because she was a good student. Not a greaser mind you, but just someone with a quick mind.
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like women, I can tell you this. Teaching little kids as I do... There is a serious gender thing going on with kids here. I'd say maybe 45% of my classes are female. The rest have been aborted.

I'm not the only person to have noted this "trend." The National Teachers Union which I know is an "illegal" group is fully aware of this.

To me murdering millions of people is not cool, but then again I'm the guy who communicates with Leni Riefenstahl.

Who knows? Maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Be nice to the kids they haven't been brainwashed yet.
CanEducator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Journal Reply with quote

You may want to check out the Asian Journal of Women's Studies, put out by Ewha Woman's University in Seoul. If you are outside Korea, you might possibly find it at your university library or a nearby university library. It's not solely a Korean journal, but has a lot of Korean content. There may be articles related to your topic.

Otherwise, someone like Trinny has valuable insights as she attended a co-ed Korean high school herself. You can then compare what feedback you get about the Korean school system with relevant information from Myra and David Sadker's book "Failing at Fairness". Good luck.
globalgrrrl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies... greatly appreciate them.

CanEducator- will check on that journal. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: