Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Directors have a Teacher Black List?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terrabus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Do Directors have a Teacher Black List? Reply with quote

With all of the ads listed in various places with teachers "urgently needed" one would think my e-mails would be answered by now. Instead, the dozen or so places I've mailed have not gotten back to me.
I completely aggravated a director in Suwon after he did some bad things to me. Could have have blacklisted me with other schools in Suwon?
thegadfly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be incredibly surprised to hear that they did have such a list...when I was foreign director of my last school, I got to see a bit more of the "cooperation" between hakwan owners...nothing would have made my boss happier than his biggest competitor hiring a horrible teacher, except perhaps if he could also hire away that competitor's best teacher....

I would think that if your former boss were trying to mess with you, there would have been a negative report made about you to immigration, which I think would prevent you from getting a work visa...but I am not sure how to check to see if that had happened....
duanemyhre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss is an American, and he said that there was a teacher blacklist!?
RR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a list of black teachers....

....but it's more of a support group.

Laughing
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last boss claimed to be some kind of hakwon association head honcho with major immigration connections to boot. She also claimed i'd never work in korea again.

nah...

put the not-replying thing down to a lack of professionalism on the part of the schools. you'll be working again in no time.
scarneck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR, now THAT was funny, thanks. I'll bet amongst yourselves, you could come up with a good list Laughing
chronicpride

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Do Directors have a Teacher Black List? Reply with quote

Terrabus wrote:
With all of the ads listed in various places with teachers "urgently needed" one would think my e-mails would be answered by now. Instead, the dozen or so places I've mailed have not gotten back to me.
I completely aggravated a director in Suwon after he did some bad things to me. Could have have blacklisted me with other schools in Suwon?

I doubt that you've been blacklisted. I'll explain what is likely going on from a recruiter perspective:

When a school or recruiter puts an ad on ESLCafe, they get inundated with emails. I put a few ads before and I got hit with 150 resumes within 48 hours and I only needed 8 teachers. Some recruiters need less, some more.

Not known for their email management prowess and customer service savvy to begin with, they would likely then skim through the resumes and pictures and sort their response pecking order by:

1. Who's in Korea now that can start ASAP and is a North American female under 35.
2. Who's in Korea now that can start ASAP and is a North American male under 35.
3. Who's in Korea now that can start ASAP and is a non-North American female under 35.
4. Who's in Korea now that can start ASAP and is a non-North American male under 35.
5. Who's in North America that can start ASAP, and is under 35.
6. Who's in North America that can start ASAP, and is over 35, but look younger in their picture.

From there, depending on other factors that may differ with each recruiter, you can lump everybody else, regardless of experience and education, into the pecking order after they get through the first 6.

In other words, if you fall within the first 6, keep trying. Email them repeatedly, like daily. Shouldn't take long. But then once you get feedback, expect the lousy customer service and accountability to show through, when they offer you jobs contrary to your specifications.

If you fall outside of the first 6, as above, keep after them daily, and don't get discouraged if it takes you a month or more to get close to something that you like.

I know teachers that are qualified, but 50 yrs old in North America and they have been hunting hard for 4 or 5 months.

And if a recruiter only needed 10 teachers, they'll have who they need within the first day or so of the ad. That's why there is not much email follow-up.

Best advice is to fly yourself over and hunt in person, if you can. Other than that, myself and 3 other friends are in development of our own online recruiting business that (hopefully, if the web designer delivers on all of his promises) will try to alleviate some of the angst that teachers have with recruiters. We'll be using Daegu as our test market within the next few months, before we go into other areas.

Hope I didn't sound too cynical with take on the industry, but this is my vantage point from recruiting myself and dealing with other recruiters and directors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: