Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English language radio station is scheduled to start
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: English language radio station is scheduled to start Reply with quote

An English language radio station is scheduled to start broadcasting on August 25, providing foreigners with 24-hour tourist information and entertainment.

The new FM broadcasting station, located on Jeju Island, is a 3.9 billion won ($3.3 million) project, part of the government's plan to promote a positive image of Korea abroad. Its various programs are expected to provide practical information such as news, weather and traffic reports, travel tips and announcements about cultural events.

The government-sponsored Arirang TV, the lone English-only Korean television broadcasting station, will be in charge of programming.

The government is also planning to open another English channel through DMB, or digital multimedia broadcasting, a new broadcasting system scheduled to take off next year.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2003/07/04/200307040043.asp
applepie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they play some Music from a variety of genres and countries...If they only play k-pop I can't imagine that it will be successful.

I'm sure the ex-pat community does not want to only listen to American music either. They should play music from all countries and multiple languages. Foriegner does not equal American.

Having said that I wish them lots of success.
jurassic5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...i've been trying to get a part-time job with this station for the last couple of months, but although they said i was qualified experience wise, since i'm not fluent enough in Korean, i wouldn't be able to help out. this confuses me a bit, since this station is supposedly an all English language station....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably meant to say an 'all-Konglish' radio station...
saharzie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arirang is in charge of programming?
God. I am sure it will be a fascinating audio experience, with it's finger on the pulse. Arirang is the televisual equivalent of an airline magazine, and about as exciting. This new radio station looks to be of a similar ilk.
katydid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested....so since it is on Jeju Island, I take it only Jeju Islanders will be able to hear the broadcast? Hmmm....
And K-pop with English commentary thrown in between...that could be something else. But it truly would defeat the purpose of it being an English language radio station. I hope the signal is strong enough to reach most of Korea, and for the love of Pete, I hope they do have an eclectic playlist to choose from....listening to the songs sometimes thrown in between an English conversation broadcast program is certainly not enough.
Last year in Mokpo I was able to get this one station (MBC?) that sometimes played Western music. Now, I don't know if it's because I am now located behind a "mountain" in Gwangju, but I can barely find ONE radio station that comes in clearly on my clock radio...(sigh)
here it is

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In late December, 2002, a very similar article appeared in the Korea Times. It cited "early January" as the start of broadcasts date. Perhaps it was meant to mean the start of planning for broadcasts. Anyway, let's hope it does start up in August. But really...who listens to radio anymore anyway?
candu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that Arirang is in charge of things, unless you enjoy programming pertaining to Paekche pottery, winter kimchi making in Gangwon-do, K-Pop songs, and shameless self-promotion of the Korean tourist industry and economy, this station will be a bit of a disappointment. I would be very happy to be proved wrong on this one, but I'm not terribly optimistic. (Maybe there will be a BBC news broadcast once or twice a day if we're lucky...)

My guess is that virtually no foreign residents have been asked what they might like in an English radio station, even though they are supposedly the intended audience. It isn't really a service to be enjoyed by us, but instead one designed by - and for - Koreans to enjoy! (But Korea can continue to claim to be a cutting edge international player - soon to be the undisputed "Hub of Asia" - because it can boast of having an English radio station.)

Kind of reminds me of the Visit Korea 2001 promotional commercial featuring dozens of "famous" Korean actors, singers, musicians, politicians, etc. none of whom would be recognized by anybody outside of Korea. Huge amounts of money were spent on this ad - intended for foreign broadcast I might add - and the KNTO did not even bother consulting with any foreigners. (Interestingly, foreign tourism in Korea fell from 2000 to 2001!) Also makes me think about the most recent romanization of hangeul, where no prospective users of the system were asked for their opions either...
billbile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cod yes, I have a vague recollection of the new hangul thing. A group of professors came up with the new system and used a lot of interesting reasoning, things like 'it is designed to help foreigners pronounce Korean exactly' and 'it is designed to provide unique and internally consistent ways of writing korean' or something like that: anyway, objectives that were mutually exclusive.
ratslash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm , there is already an english speaking radio station. 102.8 fm. run by the american army so you have to listen to lots of 'america is the best', 'americans are superb', 'god bless america' and all the kind of things that make a good old fashioned english person like myself want to puke, but at least it is in english.
Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: AFKN Reply with quote

is managed by US Department of Defense for the benefit of their
personnel assigned to Korea. It is not provided for the benefit of
morons from UK...
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered, I found 'Thuh Eagle' decent enough for being the only game in town.
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratlash, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. No self-respecting good oldfashioned English person would ever consider dropping the capital E on English three times in one post.

just kiddin'
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratslash wrote:
erm , there is already an english speaking radio station. 102.8 fm. run by the american army so you have to listen to lots of 'america is the best', 'americans are superb', 'god bless america' and all the kind of things that make a good old fashioned english person like myself want to puke, but at least it is in english.

All the royals going as far back to Charles II and The Restoration are inbred jackasses.

except for Vicky

HTH
ratslash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girlfrommars, i always type in small case. can't be bothered going shift-letter, shift-letter.

lawrence... simple question: why am i a moron? just because i don't like having the america is best stuff forced down my throat. i actually think the people who run it are morons as they have not realised that there are other english speaking people in seoul who might want to listen to an english radio station and NOT have all that pro-american b**lshit forced up there butt.

the man known as man... if that was meant to annoy me then you failed miserably. the only good reason for having a royal family is that it boosts the economy as they are nothing more than for tourists now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: