Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kyongju Internat'l Culture Festival

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Kyongju Internat'l Culture Festival Reply with quote

My plan to spend a few days in Ulleong-do got rained out. The back-up plan was to spend a day at the Kyongju International Culture Festival in spite of the bad reviews it got here at Dave's last year. As it turned out, it was a fun day.

My friends and I arrived by bus from Pusan. Just across the street was the shuttle bus (or 'suttle' bus as it's sometimes spelled). There were three buses making a circuit; #10, #11 and #100. One is a sit-down bus and costs W1,150; the other is a stand-up bus and costs W800. The trip to Expo Park was a bit more than 30 minutes. (The bus did stop near Kyongju Train Station.)

Entry fee was W15,000 per person. This ticket got us into everything except the erotic art exhibit (W4,000 extra). The agassis at the information booth were pretty and helpful. English was very adequate to the task.

The day we were there it was raining off and on all day, so the crowd was small. We missed the Vietnamese Water Puppet show because it was full and didn't make it back for another performance. We looked at some cartoon character animation exhibits, two different 3D films:something about a flying horse--English translation by hand-held earphone thing; an environmental film with animated animals--only 13 minutes but fun. We watched a Korean performance about that Emile bell, and my Korean friends enjoyed it. I was bored because my Korean skill is too limited. I would recommend skipping it unless you speak advanced Korean. I would also recommend skipping the Greek dance troupe. They looked as bored as I felt. We spent a lot of time in the International Flea Market. Shops from a lot of countries. Didn't buy anything, but it was nice just looking around, and one of the guys from Bangladesh wanted to chat. I also enjoyed the area displaying flowers. I also thought the mythology exhibit was worth a few minutes (maybe not as much time as we spent there) but not a waste of time. There were some blonde female types playing classical music. Not bad.

Food was reasonable. I ate bulgogi dap-bop for W6,000 and I remember the seafood spaghetti was W12,000. Beer was W3,000 a bottle. I remember walking past a place that seemed to have beer from Australia. Didn't get a close look, but it had possibilities.

All in all, it was a decent day for W15,000. I didn't feel cheated. However, if I lived more than 3 hours away and made a special trip all the way to Kyoungju just for the festival, I think I would feel I'd wasted my time. Three hours travelling time would be the outside limit in my opinion.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Expo Park located?

I've been looking for info on dates for this.

Locations include the Park, Yongsan I believe and Suwon.

Anybody know where we can find scheduled events on the web?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
matthews_world

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer my own question.

http://www.cultureexpo.or.kr/eng/
just because

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking foward to what people are saying about this event. However, when i hear the word EXPO put on to the end of an event it usually means it is going to suck(except for the world Expos, they rock) but I still think I will take the trip there next month. Even if it is average I can still go out to Anapji Pond and chill
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also have a Russian circus. I read that you paye an extra W5,000, but it's supposed to be worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: