Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my next teaching location--advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: my next teaching location--advice Reply with quote

i'm happy to stick out a year in incheon...i'll be able to pay off my student loan and can then select a place where its not money as the primary concern...i.e. japan would be more of a possibility...
i'd like to do a second year in a more scenic environment----clean air/mountains/rural/etc...and that could be china, taiwan, japan....
any location recommendations?
i'm not a social leper, but i have no problem been in the sticks somewhere..i know thats a vast spectrum but i'm just looking for ideas at this stage.
any feedback welcome...
captain kirk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're 'not a social leper'? well, i don't want to talk with you then....
i've looked into china by poring the dave's china forum; it's wild over there by all accounts, check it out. you'd still be doing a job and spending most your time at work and in the immediate neighbourhood. and the culture is 'korea like', more than somewhere outside northeast asia.
i'm thinking about going down to cheju for the next year, if i can manage to perk up out of the boredom and blues and continue to be my sparkling self onwards of this six month mark. because i love scuba diving. next to motorcycling, it's my favourite thing. i figure i can get a regulator and stuff and just beach dive...cheap! otherwise there would be no attraction. koreans i talk to shake their head when i ask 'would you like to live on cheju for a year?'. the pay there is 1.9 or something, and the bosses rural princes, backward as king ralph, but it would be a lot less of a pay cut than china for 'something different'. there's nowhere in china to dive.
someone posted me some jobs courtesy of JAB tonite. teaching english in honduras, costa rica, sri lanka, africa, etc. one year contracts. a few books and chalk and that's about it. JAB is practically poetic in their little romantic blurbs about living and working in the places. but that's what you want, right?
on the other hand, you've paid your student loan. why not work another year in korea and take the money and travel china for a year, or something. plan a trip for a year while working up the cash.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelyplanet.com click on 'thorntree'. discussion forum
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get outside of the big cities, Japan is quite rural and rustic. I've spent a few weeks in Kanagi, which is about 2 hours west of Hiroshima, and it's really...well...quaint. Lots of trees and mountain scenery and stuff like that. My nose opened right up.

Cycling and scuba diving are the two greatest things in the world, though.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try http://www.payaway.co.uk/jobs.shtml or www.i-to-i.com
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete

Last edited by chi-chi on Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chi-chi wrote:
**By the way guys for anyone who's interested, Dave's board has an opening in Singapore right now! First time I've seen one!**

Bear in mind though that you're going to need qualifications that are way beyond what probably 90% of the people on this board possess.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can SING, And i have clean POREs
camel96

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain kirk wrote:
i can SING, And i have clean POREs

Sorry Captain Kirk - they're after dirty POREs.

See...like I said...Underqualified...!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know exactly what u need for singapore? i have CELTA and Masters...but maybe they expect an HDE or something...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: