Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chaotic Response of Korean Military
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cmxc



Joined: 19 May 2008

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Chaotic Response of Korean Military Reply with quote

Jeezus will Korea ever cease to disappoint?

It turns out that during the recent soldier rampage shooting incident, South Korea's military shot at each other in not just 1 but 2 friendly fire incidents.
Something seems wrong
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992358

Given how chaotic the South Korean government's response to the Sewol turned out to be, and given how incompetent the South Korean military has shown itself to be, there can be no doubt:

If the Norks ever decided to attack the South, everyone in Seoul is basically f-cked. There is no chance the South Koreans would be organized well enough to repel such an attack.

Are Koreans competent at anything? Will the fraud, embezzlement, corruption, breach of trust ever end?
The head of the 2018 Pyongchang Olympics organizing commitee just had to resign for corruption and mismanaging finances as well.
Olympic boss resigns amid audit fallout
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992354&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

On top of that the same government that has been screaming about making Korea into a 'creative economy' just decided to ban Uber and make a government-built version of the same app!!!! Talk about stifling creativity and blocking out private software development.
Seoul to crack down on Uber rides
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992353&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you truly believed the ROKArmy was that incompetant, you wouldnt be here. People who truly view their army as incompetant and see an enemy over the horizon tend to do things like throw everything they can in a pickup truck and become refugees.

Anyways friendly fire is a fact of war, especially when the person is wearing the same uniform and not part of a large scale formation.

Calm down ma'am.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wanderkind



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Chaotic Response of Korean Military Reply with quote

cmxc wrote:
Are Koreans competent at anything? Will the fraud, embezzlement, corruption, breach of trust ever end?
The head of the 2018 Pyongchang Olympics organizing commitee just had to resign for corruption
and mismanaging finances as well.
Olympic boss resigns amid audit fallout
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992354&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

On top of that the same government that has been screaming about making Korea into a 'creative economy' just decided to ban Uber and make a government-built version of the same app!!!! Talk about stifling creativity and blocking out private software development.
Seoul to crack down on Uber rides
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992353&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

I didn't see corruption mentioned. It just alleged that the organization, under his watch, was failing to raise the funds it required for operation.

Uber Article wrote:
“Uber has acquired the right to run their business illegally,”

Haaah?
Uber Article wrote:
““Uber not only operates illegally but also hurts the business of Seoul’s taxi drivers, who abide by all rules and laws,” Kim said.

Hehe...hahaha....BAHAHA! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaparrastique



Joined: 01 Jan 2014

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by Chaparrastique on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
If you truly believed the ROKArmy was that incompetant, you wouldnt be here. People who truly view their army as incompetant and see an enemy over the horizon tend to


Do many posters on this forum view the ROK military as "their army"? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrewchon



Joined: 16 Nov 2008
Location: In my goshiwon cubicle. Seeking moksha.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a rant, it's mildly interesting.
1. Who told you that there'll be no incidents of friendly fire when they were pursuing an armed and dangerous person? In video games, that's what. Don't say things like that gain.
2. Business as usual, what's your problem?
3. As if taxi problems aren't bad enough, your solution is to replace them with unlicenced, uninsured, unprotected cowboys? The intention of the app maybe admirable but they usually end up as money-laundering scheme for gangsters. Laughing

Chaparrastique: your post is in bad taste. Please remove it.

How about ranting on easy-loans for women only, up to 3000 만원! and relation to recently uncovered sexshops in Gangnam. Workers were roped in because they couldn't pay back their 3000만원 loans... owners of the sexshops spent their profits in real-estate and comfortable cars... Pink Money! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atwood



Joined: 26 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
If you truly believed the ROKArmy was that incompetant, you wouldnt be here. People who truly view their army as incompetant and see an enemy over the horizon tend to do things like throw everything they can in a pickup truck and become refugees.

Anyways friendly fire is a fact of war, especially when the person is wearing the same uniform and not part of a large scale formation.

Calm down ma'am.

Where would all these SK refugees go? They're not going anywhere because they know that no matter how incompetent their army is, they're protected by the US military and government.

You, I and the OP are all here because the U.S. army is here. It has nothing to do with the SK toy soldiers.

If the SK army was so great, why do they continue to refuse to take responsibility for leading military actions on the peninsula and leave it in the hands of the U.S.?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atwood



Joined: 26 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Chaotic Response of Korean Military Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
cmxc wrote:
Are Koreans competent at anything? Will the fraud, embezzlement, corruption, breach of trust ever end?
The head of the 2018 Pyongchang Olympics organizing commitee just had to resign for corruption
and mismanaging finances as well.
Olympic boss resigns amid audit fallout
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992354&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

On top of that the same government that has been screaming about making Korea into a 'creative economy' just decided to ban Uber and make a government-built version of the same app!!!! Talk about stifling creativity and blocking out private software development.
Seoul to crack down on Uber rides
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992353&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

I didn't see corruption mentioned. It just alleged that the organization, under his watch, was failing to raise the funds it required for operation.

Uber Article wrote:
“Uber has acquired the right to run their business illegally,”

Haaah?
Uber Article wrote:
““Uber not only operates illegally but also hurts the business of Seoul’s taxi drivers, who abide by all rules and laws,” Kim said.

Hehe...hahaha....BAHAHA! Laughing

A lot of places are looking at regulating Uber, which they should. Of course in Korea, the taxi drivers evoke a lot of sympathy as do the farmers or anyone who does manual labor of a sort.

But if the government were serious about helping people start small businesses they'd help organizations like Uber. I wonder if the motels and pensions are going to complain about airbnb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weigookin74



Joined: 26 Oct 2009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
If you truly believed the ROKArmy was that incompetant, you wouldnt be here. People who truly view their army as incompetant and see an enemy over the horizon tend to do things like throw everything they can in a pickup truck and become refugees.

Anyways friendly fire is a fact of war, especially when the person is wearing the same uniform and not part of a large scale formation.

Calm down ma'am.


Me thinks the Norks prob fear Uncle Sam. Remember last year when the North was threatening war? Uncle Sam sent a B2 stealth bomber from Missori to drop a dummy bomb near the DMZ and then flew back home. After that, the North shutup.

The north has the threat of attacking the south. But it's their only threat. Once they do it; their regime is finished. They're not complete morons up there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where would all these SK refugees go?


I'm talking about the English teachers who paint the ROK military as incompetent and unable to do anything about North Korea.

Quote:
You, I and the OP are all here because the U.S. army is here. It has nothing to do with the SK toy soldiers.


Just because you say that, doesn't make it true in the present context. The ROK military is the backbone of defense of S. Korea. It substantially outclasses the NORK military qualitatively.

Quote:
If the SK army was so great, why do they continue to refuse to take responsibility for leading military actions on the peninsula and leave it in the hands of the U.S.?


Because the US is ultimately responsible for the strategic concerns involving China, Japan, Russia, and the greater Pacific. Duh. And also that whole nuclear arms and missiles thing which that the US and SK have agreed that SK will not develop them independently in exchange for the nuclear umbrella. You know, North Korea being a country with nuclear arms and all.

Quote:
Me thinks the Norks prob fear Uncle Sam. Remember last year when the North was threatening war? Uncle Sam sent a B2 stealth bomber from Missori to drop a dummy bomb near the DMZ and then flew back home. After that, the North shutup.


That is so simplistic and an overly simplistic analysis, to say nothing of the fact that North Korea continues to provoke.

You do realize that B2s are able to strike at any target around the world. The B2 was an act to show support to S. Korea, not to intimidate the North. What, do you think the North doesn't know the US has B2s and that they are unable to strike anywhere? Do you think if that B2 hadn't flown, NORK troops would have been pouring over the border?

Anyways, don't take my word for it, take former Defense Secretary Robert F. Gates who praised 2MB in his memoir "Duty" and mentioned that SOUTH Korea had to be restrained from the US from launching retaliatory strikes following Yeongpyeong because the US wanted stability. Sure doesn't sound like some sort of weak and ineffectual army to me.

Quote:
Do many posters on this forum view the ROK military as "their army"?


I dunno, they seem to claim to not want to be guests in this country. I think one thing that makes someone not a guest is that when the crap hits the fan, they don't say "hey I'm not a member of this house".

Quote:
Are Koreans competent at anything? Will the fraud, embezzlement, corruption, breach of trust ever end?
The head of the 2018 Pyongchang Olympics organizing commitee just had to resign for corruption and mismanaging finances as well.
Olympic boss resigns amid audit fallout


Anyways, aside from the army thing- The Olympics is a story that needs to be told. The whole thing was dirty and apparently had massive Moonie involvement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jvalmer



Joined: 06 Jun 2003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
Are Koreans competent at anything? Will the fraud, embezzlement, corruption, breach of trust ever end?
The head of the 2018 Pyongchang Olympics organizing commitee just had to resign for corruption and mismanaging finances as well.
Olympic boss resigns amid audit fallout

Anyways, aside from the army thing- The Olympics is a story that needs to be told. The whole thing was dirty and apparently had massive Moonie involvement.

Well, at least they had an audit, and punishing people for funny business. Unlike some past, and future Olympic hosts...

The Olympics here, will be like the other world events Korea has hosted. It will run pretty smoothly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atwood



Joined: 26 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sr posted
Quote:
The ROK military is the backbone of defense of S. Korea.

sr also posted
Quote:
Just because you say that, doesn't make it true in the present context.

There you have it--claim made; claim debunked. The blind rabbit is still running in circles.

sr posted
Quote:
If it was reported once, you can be sure that it happened 10 unreported times.


By my math that means 20 SK soldiers fired on 20 other SK soldiers by mistake.

sr continued to post
Quote:
take former Defense Secretary Robert F. Gates who praised 2MB in his memoir "Duty" and mentioned that SOUTH Korea had to be restrained from the US from launching retaliatory strikes following Yeongpyeong because the US wanted stability. Sure doesn't sound like some sort of weak and ineffectual army to me.


Maybe he restrained them because he knew they'd botch it. Maybe he restrained them because any response would have been so late in coming that the NK forces had moved where they couldn't be reliably targeted. Just because they wanted to retaliate doesn't mean they would been successful. Sure doesn't sound like much of an argument to me.

When are you going to quit carrying water for this bunch of amateurs, Gunga Din?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More stuff to give you confidence in the system here...
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992415&cloc=joongangdaily|home|top

Quote:
Although Yoo was the nation’s most wanted fugitive, with 1.3 million police officers mobilized at various times in the manhunt and an unprecedented 500 million won ($486,500) reward offered for information about him, his body lay in a field just 2.5 kilometers (1.5 miles) from a villa he owned, enough time for most of its flesh to rot or be eaten by animals.

An extensive manhunt for Yoo was conducted in the area on May 25 because Yoo was suspected to be hiding in his villa in Suncheon.

It took nearly six weeks for local police to identify Yoo after his corpse was discovered on June 12. The DNA match was made Monday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
le-paul



Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Location: dans la chambre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
More stuff to give you confidence in the system here...
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2992415&cloc=joongangdaily|home|top

Quote:
Although Yoo was the nation’s most wanted fugitive, with 1.3 million police officers mobilized at various times in the manhunt and an unprecedented 500 million won ($486,500) reward offered for information about him, his body lay in a field just 2.5 kilometers (1.5 miles) from a villa he owned, enough time for most of its flesh to rot or be eaten by animals.

An extensive manhunt for Yoo was conducted in the area on May 25 because Yoo was suspected to be hiding in his villa in Suncheon.

It took nearly six weeks for local police to identify Yoo after his corpse was discovered on June 12. The DNA match was made Monday.


6 weeks, damn...

The pathologist was quoted as saying, he hadnt realised the the body was that of Yoon, as it looked smaller than the image on the wanted poster. Shocked

No shit Sherlock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
sr posted
Quote:
The ROK military is the backbone of defense of S. Korea.

sr also posted
Quote:
Just because you say that, doesn't make it true in the present context.

There you have it--claim made; claim debunked. The blind rabbit is still running in circles.

sr posted
Quote:
If it was reported once, you can be sure that it happened 10 unreported times.


By my math that means 20 SK soldiers fired on 20 other SK soldiers by mistake.

sr continued to post
Quote:
take former Defense Secretary Robert F. Gates who praised 2MB in his memoir "Duty" and mentioned that SOUTH Korea had to be restrained from the US from launching retaliatory strikes following Yeongpyeong because the US wanted stability. Sure doesn't sound like some sort of weak and ineffectual army to me.


Maybe he restrained them because he knew they'd botch it. Maybe he restrained them because any response would have been so late in coming that the NK forces had moved where they couldn't be reliably targeted. Just because they wanted to retaliate doesn't mean they would been successful. Sure doesn't sound like much of an argument to me.

When are you going to quit carrying water for this bunch of amateurs, Gunga Din?



Atwood, do you have any facts to back up your claims besides a friendly fire incident and a bunch of maybes?

If a friendly fire incident is all it takes for you to declare an army as a bunch of amateurs, then doesnt that mean the US Army or the Russian Army or the British army are a bunch of amateurs? After all theyve had friendly fire incidents too. And those were against people in another uniform/non uniform.

Or maybe your criteria is a moronic one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International