Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E2 Visa and travelling to the Philippines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BackRow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: E2 Visa and travelling to the Philippines Reply with quote

So I've got my vacation coming up and I'd like to spend it in the Philippines. I I am unclear on the visa as I've heard having an E2 visa in your passport has some kind of impact. As a side note, I'm a Canadian with a Canadian passport.
northway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough luck, you're not allowed to leave the country on an E2. Try Jeju-do if you want a tropical vacation. Korea sparkling!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: E2 Visa and travelling to the Philippines Reply with quote

BackRow wrote:
So I've got my vacation coming up and I'd like to spend it in the Philippines. I I am unclear on the visa as I've heard having an E2 visa in your passport has some kind of impact. As a side note, I'm a Canadian with a Canadian passport.

Provided you have your ARC then there is nothing to worry about.
Your ARC provides you unlimited out/in return privileges (to Korea) without the need for a re-entry permit.

Buy your tickets and enjoy your vacation.

You will get 21 days on arrival in the RP as a tourist and without an actual Philippine tourist visa in your passport.

If you want more than 21 days then your options are to either
a) get a 60-day tourist visa
b) get a 38-day tourist extension in the Philippines.

ThePoet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deferring to Ttompatz here as I have not been in Korea for seven years now and things may have changed, but I seem to remember my American counterparts got unlimited in/out priviledges, but as a Canadian, I got a single entry, but could pay more money (I don't remember how much) for unlimited entries on my passport. I went to the Philippines twice a year while I was in Korea during semester breaks.

The Poet
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePoet wrote:
Deferring to Ttompatz here as I have not been in Korea for seven years now and things may have changed, but I seem to remember my American counterparts got unlimited in/out privileges, but as a Canadian, I got a single entry, but could pay more money (I don't remember how much) for unlimited entries on my passport. I went to the Philippines twice a year while I was in Korea during semester breaks.

The Poet

PRIOR to 2010 the case was that foreigners who did not hold a multi-entry visa were required to buy a re-entry permit (50k) from immigration before their trip.

For the last 3 years or so (since Dec 2010) the case has been that ALL registered foreigners (holding an ARC) were permitted unlimited out/in privileges for as long as their ARC remained valid.

The exception to this was an F5 who is only permitted to be out of the country for no more than 2 consecutive years.

Wad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourists from 151 countries now supposedly enjoy 30-day no-visa to the Philippines.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct. It is now 30 days instead of 21.
Balikbayans still get a year.

Phils Tourism wrote:
Starting August 1, 2013, nationals from 151 countries may enter the Philippines without a visa and stay for a maximum of thirty (30) days, provided they are holders of a passport valid at least six (6) months beyond the period of stay in the Philippines, and present a return or outward bound ticket to their country of origin or to a next country of destination.

Pursuant to the Bureau of Immigration’s Memorandum Circular No. RADJR-2013-006.

http://itsmorefuninthephilippines.com/philippines-visa-and-entry-information/

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php/faqs/visa-inquiry/temporary-visitor-s-visa (slow to load)
Bureau of Immigration wrote:
Non-visa Required Nationals

- Foreign nationals under E.O. 408, as amended, admissible for thirty (30) days initial stay

- Temporary visitor’s visa admissible for fifty nine (59) days

TheUrbanMyth

Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Tough luck, you're not allowed to leave the country on an E2. Try Jeju-do if you want a tropical vacation. Korea sparkling!

This has never been the case. Up to a few years ago you simply had to buy a re-entry permit each time you wanted to leave the country. Nowadays you can just leave the country and come back (on an E-2) as long as your visa is still valid when you return.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:

I know many E2 holders who have gone to the PI and elsewhere for vacations, came back and never had any issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: